Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selecting Tow Vehicle for Travel Trailer

BradsRVing
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone...
I have scoured many forums reading about the same question I am asking, but always have different weights and sizes, so I am going to try to get advice that is specific to my situation.

I have recently purchased a 2013 Kodiak 300BHSL TT. I just couldn't pass it up as it was original owner, used 6 times, and garaged!!! It is in like new condition. I will be living in this TT with 2 kids for a portion of every month, and storing it between trips. I will only be towing it about 40 miles or so from storage to campsite, and about once a year I will be towing it about 1000 miles for vacation camping trips. Only throwing that in as to show the limited towing I will be actually doing. The other part of the equation is that I will be driving my tow vehicle to and from the stored trailer, and am trying to get the best mileage for that portion of tow vehicle use.

That being all said and done, I am torn like so many others on whether to purchase a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck. My trailer has an UVW of 7592 pounds,a GVWR of 8900, a hitch weight of 830 pounds, and a total length of 36'11". It will be towed fairly light, with empty tanks. Included in the TT purchase is a top of the line weight distribution hitch and sway control. It will mostly be towed in southern California, with longer trips up to Arizona, Oregon, and Washington. I've been looking at mostly Ford F-150 EcoBoost, Ford F-250, Dodge 1500, and Dodge 2500. All with Super crew configurations, 4x4, and max towing options. I have read so many posts saying the length of the TT makes a difference, and all kinds of sway stories, and people that swear by the 1/2 ton...and people that swear by the 3/4 ton trucks. Luckily I don't have to make a decision until March 2015. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this is so long, but like I said, I am trying to get feedback on my set of variables. Thank you!!!
34 REPLIES 34

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I use an E-Boost F-150 4x4 for a 5000 lb. dry weight trailer and fairly light load (no kid toys). For anything over 5000 lbs. I would recommend an F-250 or bigger.

I like Fords but the brand is less important than the payload capacity. This varies with the individual truck and its accesories.

Most half tons are limited to 1500 lbs. max cargo or less; subtract people weight, tongue weight, truck cap weight, tools, toys and camping gear stashed into the bed, and you will probably be over the max cargo limit. For the short hauls you describe you might get by with half ton but a trip of any length really requires a bigger truck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't always a right answer because, technically, you are within the towing limits of most 1/2 ton trucks these days. You have to decide for yourself based on your personal situation as to whether the 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton is a better fit.

I do have a few thoughts though:

* If you decide to go with a 3/4 ton, skip it and just get the 1 ton. They only cost a little more and you get more capacity.

* Forget about towing fuel efficiency. You aren't towing enough to take that into account and the difference between comparable diesels or gas trucks isn't much. If it helps, you could expect around 10 mpg towing with a diesel and around 8 mpg with gas. Since diesel costs so much more these days, your towing fuel COST will be pretty similar.

* I had an F150 Ecoboost and now have a 2013 F250 diesel. As you would expect, the F150 got better unloaded fuel economy and was a better daily driver. The F250 tows much better. You have to decide how much you're towing vs not towing and how much you value the extra towing stability from a 3/4 ton.

* My F250 weighs 2,000 pounds more than my F150 Ecoboost did. That's a TON (literally) more weight to keep the trailer in check.

Having said all that, I would strongly lean towards the 3/4 or 1 ton. A 37' long TT is loooong by TT standards, and you *WILL* encounter strong cross winds towing east-west through the U.S.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
With a longer trailer like you bought and the 8000-ish weight, I'd lean toward a 3/4 or 1 ton because it's 9 zillion times more stable that with a 1/2 ton.

But not everyone wants a heavy duty pickup to drive everyday. If a HD truck is not to your liking, get a 1/2 ton with the heavy duty payload package (not to be confused with the heavy duty towing package). It will give you the ability to support the tongue weight of the trailer better than with a 1/2 ton.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
All i can say is don't under-truck yourself. Just enough isn't usually enough. (We made the mistake a couple of times).

and donn0128 is correct. Forget about economy and RV'ing.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
2500 Suburban, 2500 series crew cab truck, 2500 or 3500 series van all make good tow vehicles. Nothing is going to get great economy towing. As a daily driver the van or Suburban would probably be the best, most comfortable.