cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously overloaded

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
No pictures but our friends were in Alaska for a couple months and heading back to their home in Maine, they stopped by for a few days.

We were talking about TC's in Alaska and they mentioned right off, how many appeared grossly overloaded.

They said that there were a few big dual rear tired pickup trucks that were literally dragging their rear bumpers, loaded up with the kitchen sink...canoe's on the roof, storage containers on the roofs, just loaded for 'bear'.

I'd hate to have them approaching me at night, with their headlights pointing skyward.

I'm amazed (on Alaskan twisty, curvy roads, that there aren't more accidents and equipment failures from overloading.

Amazing to me that people, in general, have no conception of what overloading does to drivetrain components, let alone handling.

Glad I'm not piloting those 'magic busses'.....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB
102 REPLIES 102

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
I believe you. Still I can't understand the downslope of the cabover vs. all other lines. But I guess there is an explanation for everything. A lot of other details in that picture are strange, too, as many here have said. Actually I am just curious to know what this is...
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
OMG---I swear on my mother, wife and daughter, this is a 100% real pic from Winchester bay.

I can barely hook up a wifi cam, let alone use photoshop. Ha

Guys, there really are stupid people that overload their trucks.

When I took the photo, I was laughing and was surprised that the guy driving the rig had not suffered any failures just getting here. The freeway from I5 to the coast is windy (as in winding road) as heck.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towards the bottom of the truck doors there is a designed flare. The line across those panels is relatively flat compared with the line formed by the top or bottom of the slide.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmmm... was looking closer st his and decided to run some parallel lines to visualize some of the comment observations. The cabover portion does not appear to be at the same level plane irrespective of whether or not it is overloaded. All the red lines are parallel:

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
On that TC picture, the roofline and the horizontal edges of the slide run parallell as they should. The floorline of the cabover runs at an angle (I have actually copied the pic to a powerpoint slide and drew some lines to check). Since the sidewalls of the camper appear "normal" where the cabover protrudes, there is no reasonable explanation how a camper could actually exist like that...

Automatic Photo Stitch as part of a panoramic photo?

I have seen overloaded rigs like that in the wild, though... Small euro pickups with short pickup beds and long rear overhangs make this easy.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not see the underside of the cabover being parallel or perpendicular to any other edge of the TC. The bottom of the slide out does not appear parallel to the bottom of the TC overhang. I would have to see more photos before I would believe this photo was not modified.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
JTLance wrote:
I took that photo! Its not doctored, its in Winchester Bay Oregon! 2 years ago.
Do you have any other photos?

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe they have a compressor fridge.....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
towpro wrote:
why does the parallel line of the over hang over cab not on the same plain as the parallel line of the camper edge on bed of truck?

I see this. Something is wrong beside just weight. The front of the camper sits on the truck much higher than the back of the camper. Relative to the truck, the camper is pointing up in the front and down in the rear. It seems that there was insufficient clearance between the camper and the roof of the truck so the front was propped up. I wonder how they can ever level the refrigerator or floor of the camper.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
towpro wrote:
why does the parallel line of the over hang over cab not on the same plain as the parallel line of the camper edge on bed of truck?
Look at the body line right above the running board. It is about 6 inches higher than the same line on the bed.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
JTLance wrote:

Pure awesomeness!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper winterized scaled 4200 lb.
400 lb of water
60 lb of propane
40 lb of dog food
50 lb of tools and parts
30 lb of hoses
60 lb of camping chairs & BBQ
-cloths for fulltiming
-pans and dishes
-cleaning supplies
-food
-computers and chargers
-beer and booze
We are just in process of switching campers, so DW took all the stuff inside the house. Stuff makes several piles on sofas, dining table and on the floor.
Have no idea where all that stuff come from.
New camper has no basement, so we have to cut down on stuff.