Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sharp Bouncing

jeffreyduncan
Explorer
Explorer
Morning.

I have a 2015 Chevy 3500 HD short bed, Crew with the duramax. It's setup with RS9000's in the rear (set at 9) and stable loads. Front shocks are Bilstein 5100. I have a Hellwig stabilizer in the rear. Truck is stock otherwise. No airbags.

I have a fairly heavy camper and took this setup out over the weekend for my first road trip. Everything went very well and I am generally pleased with the way it handles. However - I notice that I get an annoying fast bounce (I think from the rear). It's not a porpoise. It's more of a chucking. It happens a couple times per second it seems, when I am rolling over small bumps at highway speeds or over 40mph. It's not constant, and any larger bumps or dips are handled fine. It's more of an annoyance than a drivability issue.

I am thinking it's because my auxiliary springs are so pre-loaded with the stable loads. They are almost flat, but they aren't so flat that they touch the lower springs. i have maybe and inch and a half left. The truck sits nice and level though.

Would anyone have a suggestion to calm the sharp bounce and improve the ride?

I was thinking my options might be:

Add air bags.
Change the Bilsteins in the front for RS9000.
Install stiffer rear aux springs (SuperSprings).

Any insight would be appreciated.
28 REPLIES 28

jeffreyduncan
Explorer
Explorer
It definitely won't be. I'm probably slightly over. They are at 80 in the rear and I can't lower it. I could in the front. I'm convinced it's the Stable loads. Without them it rides like it should. They cause too much preload with my heavy camper.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see any mention of the tires you are using. Especially the air pressure. You might want to try lowering the air pressure 5 psi at a time, starting with the front tires first.

If you discover the ride improves, the next step is to confirm your tire load capacity is still within limits with the reduced air in the tires.

jeffreyduncan
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to update this thread with some information. I had the dealer fixing my slide out motor (replaced) and while he had it, I took the stable-loads off the truck because I was pretty much done for the season, and they give a harsh ride on the miles of dirt roads I drive. So the story is that I picked up the camper WITHOUT them installed, and the ride was amazing. No bounce whatsoever. So I am convinced that these stable-loads are root of the issue causing the bounce. As stated, they nearly flatten the helpers to near horizontal.

So my next move is to cut them down a couple inches, to retain some of the value they may provide in roll.

That's all.

Jeff

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
trail-explorer wrote:
Skip the airbags, they will unload the suspension and make the ride even more harsh.

Obviously, this isn't always true. You do have to understand how they work though and use air bags to complement your suspension. Many of us are doing this using tried and true methods.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds road surface induced.

Skip the airbags, they will unload the suspension and make the ride even more harsh.
Bob

Bedlam
Although I ran Rancho 9000 series, I did look in to the Blistein's when I was shopping. The 5100's are dampened softer for off-road use where the 4600's are valved differently for heavy service use.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jeffreyduncan
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely not in my experience! Even without the camper on the back, and before I adjusted the rears, I noticed a considerable difference in the stiffness up front with the 4600's compared to the 5100.

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the 4600 and the 5100 (0-2" version) were identical other than the finish. Is this accurate or not?
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL

jeffreyduncan
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to report back after my trip with the new HD shocks up front. HUGE difference. I also backed the Ranchos down to 7 and had a full water tank. Tank was less than half on the ride home and as another poster said - not much difference. I think the main difference was the 4600's up front. I would say they cured the chucking by 98%. Thanks to those who pointed out I had the wrong Bilsteins up front!

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if water sloshing in your tanks contribute to the weird bounce.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree the 4600s are really good. My previous thread on the subject. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28509858.cfm

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I have to say the BS4600HD's really impressed me also. Great shock.
We pretty much always travel with full h2o (in front of axle). Try it and see how it feels.
You can always drain some...

Quite honestly, I feel no difference travelling with full h20 or not...

Report back after your trip.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jeffreyduncan
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick update. I installed the 4600 series shocks and although I haven't had the camper on yet, I can certainly tell these are a stiffer shock than the 5100! Much nicer actually.

I'll report back after this coming weekend to let you know how they were with the camper. I have a 500 mile round trip ahead of me.

I am wondering if some water in the tank would get some more weight forward. I didn't have much if any water when I last made a trip. More GVW of course, but...

rider997
Explorer
Explorer
jeffreyduncan wrote:

Ok good info. I am happy to find someone with the same rig.

I'm aware of the weight on the camper. I did a lot of research. I don't have an on board generator but I have AC and probably won't remove that.

My bar also has three holes and I started in the lower recommended setting. So I can change that easily. I understand how you disconnect now - thanks.

My GVW is 11,500 and I thought for sure my rear axle max was 7050 and not 7500. The E rated tires I have are the 265/70/18 and are rated at 3525 each. Maybe you have a different tire size.

Either way I know I will be close to my limit.

In any case, I am hoping the 4600 series shocks will fix the issue. My truck would be a bit heavier than yours in the front with the Diesel I would guess.

You have tons of front axle capacity, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You're over the published rear axle capacity, but the axle manufacturer (AAM) seems to rate them significantly higher (> 10k lbs).

I currently have LT265/65R18 tires installed (GoodYear Silent Armor) with a 3750lb load rating. They decided to discontinue making those tires in that size. The stock tires were only rated at 3450lbs, and although they were LT tires, they were not 10 ply, and they were pretty sloppy handling.