cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get new springs?

hookie
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought an '03 Toyota 4-Runner V8 to tow a 2014 Sportsmen Classic 190. The GVWR of the TT is 3500 lbs. The 4-Runner has 100k miles. It definitely needs shocks and I will deciding on which ones soon and put them on. But I'm wondering about putting on new springs at the same time.

This is NOT just a towing question. It's just in general - it's my DD. The front is a bit lower than the back, but I think that'a how they always were. Would new springs help with keeping the truck from bottoming out when going over speed bumps I experience at low speeds in a parking garage (feel it in the rear only)? Would it help keep the truck 'flatter' when taking turns?

It's my understanding the springs hold up the vehicle while the shocks keep the vehicle from continuing to bounce and help keep the tires firmly on the ground.

So, what is the criteria for deciding if you need new springs? Edumacate me please? Would you do it? Spend the extra cash now while more convenient since the shocks will be replaced??
'14 Sportsmen Classic 190
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi
8 REPLIES 8

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unusual to have the front bottom out unless you have a damaged shock absorber or two. Usually you would see a fluid leak on the side of the shock. Only real fix is to replace the springs. These vehicles commonly have the rear end lower than the front and for that the simplest and cheapest and most effective is to add a leaf spring at the rear. Cost will be under $150 parts and labor at a offroad shop.

Avoid the Midas types of places and go to a place that specializes in suspension work and have them check out the vehicle thoroughly.

Good shocks overall are the Bilstein's in the 4600 or 5100 series.

hookie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions!
'14 Sportsmen Classic 190
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Suspension springs really don't wear out.

If you are bottoming out the stock springs you will bottom out the new springs if you get stock ones.

If you get an aftermarket rate that is a whole different ball of wax.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

TexasATM
Explorer
Explorer
If you're replacing the front springs, try to find some that are already assembled with the shock; it will make the installation a LOT easier. If you don't, you'll have to have a spring compressor. It can be done (I've done it), but it would be much easier/faster to buy them already together.

The rears are super easy to install, both shocks and springs. Once you get the shocks off, the springs almost fall out.
2011 Jayco 32BHDS

qball6
Explorer
Explorer
Weird. I just traded an '03 4runner limited V-8 with 100k for a Tundra. Please tell me your runner is not that goldfish color.
2000 Fleetwood Terry 717b,
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if they sell springs as well, but I got a great deal on Bilstien HD shock at shockwarehouse.com

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
You can get rear replacement springs by Moog for less than $100.
Add to that a set of Bilstien shocks and you'll be good to go.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If it bottoms out you need springs and yes it would be good to do it now. Check with aftermarket spring manufacturers, you may be able to find some springs that will perform better than stock. Two companies come to mind- Deaver Springs and National Springs. Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers may be a source as well.