cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sirius radio antenna relocation

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 F450 with a 2001 Fleetwood Elkhorn slide-in installed. I'm sure you guys have had the problem of blocking the Sirius antenna. I relocated to a new antenna mounted on the front grill and the top is about level with the hood. Antenna worked well until I was about 1/2 mile away, then it lost the signal. What am I doing wrong?
22 REPLIES 22

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
Sirius works off of a satellite. So, if the antenna view of the sky is blocked by anything, it cuts signal. Drive under a fuel island to test this. If your slide in blocks the antenna at the right angle, signal is gone. We put ours on the highest point on the truck. It can be put on anything and does not need to be grounded to work. I put a temporary bracket on top of our ladder and used the super double sided bonding tape to hold it place.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
Whiplash2130 wrote:
Powerdude wrote:
I'm having the same "problem", more of an annoyance really.

My guess is that the antenna is not high enough.

I'm trying to figure out a way to put an antenna on the roof of the camper, and then just run a wire to the truck antenna. Heh.

Let me know how you fix it! Thanks

Wondering if the ground plane isn't big enough on a aluminum body??

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a way to put an antenna on the roof of the camper, and then just run a wire to the truck antenna. Heh.

Let me know how you fix it! Thanks

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
You do have Ford Roadside Assistance for next 5 years, don't you?
I have F350 Supercab, so my aluminium frame cabover sticks way up front, yet Sirus works fine, knock on the wood.

What does Roadside Assistance have to do with it?

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Just to make sure, you did not pass the 6 months free service and refused pay for next year?

Not sure what you're trying to say!?

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer

2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to make sure, you did not pass the 6 months free service and refused pay for next year?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do have Ford Roadside Assistance for next 5 years, don't you?
I have F350 Supercab, so my aluminium frame cabover sticks way up front, yet Sirus works fine, knock on the wood.