cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide opens unevenly

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
Springdale 311RE. My large slide operates as it should, but when it reaches the open position and the slide motor clicks-ratchets and I release the switch, one side of the slide is open all the way and against the rubber seal. The other end of the slide is about an inch away from the rubber seal. I tried to push the end that's open the last inch or so, but I don't have the strength to move it. Is there an adjustment that should be made or perhaps a way to mechanically open that side the last inch or so?
Duane
8 REPLIES 8

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar issue, when I first got the camper I would take my finger off the slide button as soon as I heard the motors load up and I knew it was closed.

Eventually the motors got out of sync and the slide would bind.

I did the old RTFM and found out on my particular setup, you hold down the button until the controller shuts the motors off. To resync them I had to close the slide, open it 6" or so, close it again and hold the button until the motors shut off...did this 2 or 3 times and haven't had a problem since.

There are a few different slide systems though...maybe these guys know which one you have. But that is how mine works.

I know some of them DON'T want you to hold the button down once it's closed.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Do both edges of slide wall extend and retract at the same time?? If there is a lag, esp on the side that doesn't extend fully, probably something like mentioned, the shear pin. If both edges move at same time, I think you could find it needs adjustment out at the mounting bracket to the slide body. Both vertical and horizontal adjustments can be made there. Also can adjust the length of the arms in and out. Not real hard, but mark starting position of all bolts before attempting!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is the poster who mentioned the shear bolt is on the right track. If it's a Lippert slide like mine, slop in the drive shaft bolt will cause one side to lead the other a bit. If it's really sloppy it can get way ahead and bind up. One side of the rack drives the other side through the shaft. They need to run together for the slide to remain in sync one side to the other.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried running it back in all the way, then extending it? Sometimes that will even everything out.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Duane4238 wrote:
Jerry, Thanks for the reply. The slide has always worked just fine. The only thing that I can think of that may be different is the trailer isn't on its stabilizers, yet, and is sitting kind of up in front, down in back for the winter for rain and snow runoff. I have to level it for the season and put my blocks under it, too. I'll try that first to see if that's the problem. If not, I have a trailer dealer within 5 miles so I'll call and have a tech come out and take a look. Happy Easter.
Duane

This sounds like a good plan. It is best to have trailer level when extending/retracting the slides. A slide is a heavy box, that can shift a little, if too high on one end. With warmer temps, and trailer level, it may be just fine again.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Check the shear bolt for the small gear on that side. The head busted off one end of the bolt on my last TT and the rest of the bolt stuck. This allowed the gear to turn slightly on the shaft and do exactly as you describe.
You can see the bolt going through the square shaft just to the left of the gear in this image:

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry, Thanks for the reply. The slide has always worked just fine. The only thing that I can think of that may be different is the trailer isn't on its stabilizers, yet, and is sitting kind of up in front, down in back for the winter for rain and snow runoff. I have to level it for the season and put my blocks under it, too. I'll try that first to see if that's the problem. If not, I have a trailer dealer within 5 miles so I'll call and have a tech come out and take a look. Happy Easter.
Duane

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Has it always been like this, or did something happen to cause the misalignment? Yes, there are adjustments to correct this, but not all slide mechanisms are the same. Sometimes when a correction is made, it changes another area of adjustment, which then needs further adjusting. There are videos, and manufacturer service manuals on line, showing how to do this. If you have a mobile repairman available, it may be the best option. He could make the proper correction, and give you a little education, as to the process.

Mine has an adjustment for this on one end, but then further adjustment may be needed for both ends to go in/out a little farther before stopping.

Jerry