cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide out operation and maintenance

PlorkZ
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Palomino Puma 30ft pull-behind with a slide-out, I believe the slide-out is a screw drive type driven with a 12v electric motor. I'm not sure if the slide-out is operating normally, I have noticed that when it is fully extended the rail seems to push out the bottom of the slide-out wall a bit so it's extended further than the top of the slide out, and when I retract it the top seals up first and then the bottom still has to pull in a bit causing the whole room to tilt and flex slightly as the bottom seals up. I also noticed that the room doesn't seem to slide smoothly but rather it pauses with a jerky motion occasionally.

I just got this camper and plan to do some maintenance and just wondering if that slide-out behavior is normal?

Also, I do plan to get some dry lubricant for the slide mechanism (Protect All Slide-Out Dry Lube Protectant from Camping World) to address the jerky motion, unless there is something better to use for that?

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4

PlorkZ
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the floor is flush when fully extended, thanks for the info and the tip to not step on it until fully extended, I have been careful about that. I'll look into getting the dry lubricant for the gear and track then to make sure it operates smoothly. Very helpful info, thanks!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When extended does it drop down into opening so it is flush with floor?

YES>.

Then NORMAL.

When retracted the top makes contact with side of RV first then bottom makes contact and the whole slide out tilts up

NORMAL.

Do NOT step on slide out floor when retracted as it is NOT supported.
Slideout is only fully supported when fully extended

Jerky motion....
NOT Normal
Could be binding going on ...drive gear, slave gear, tracks etc.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

PlorkZ
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info, it looks like it's a 2x2 through frame slide out, I'll take a look at what I can find for that, but in anyone's experience here does what I'm describing seem normal or not? Do slide outs normally tilt a bit like that?

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Lippert Industries' website you can find which system you have and why you can do to service it and adjust it.
https://www.lci1.com/support-slide-outs/
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo