cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smaller bunk house trailer recommendations

Tahoesurfkid
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking to enter the travel trailer world.

We've been attracted to the 15-19 foot bunk house as we will be towing with a 4.6L Tundra with two young boys to stow in the bunks (not while driving;) )

I've seen floor plans for lots of manufactures:

Jayco
Forest River all the 18-19bh
Coleman 15bh
Coachman Clipper

The Coachman 17BH is a favorite due to its layout (small dinette, double bed, bunks x2, tub for said boys).

Any recommendations would be great. Mostly campsite camping in California mountains and coast. I'm trying to stay below 15K new and 10K used and I also worry about quality v. weight.

Cheers
40 REPLIES 40

heckufaguy
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from our pup, our first TT was conservative. We went ameri-lite, a 19KD ..it had a large slide out dinette and was quite nice. At 22 feet long it was tiny when camping in most RV parks. But we had worried about going 'too big' and falling for all the hype of the bigger TT's.

2 years later we just brought home our 26 footer (Amerilite 259BH)
We had zero issues with our first, but then we saw the added space, storage, sleeping capacity (no folding down the dinette until we hit our 4th guest).
It's good to not get crazy, but if you're not straining your TV or your pocketbook , dream a little. Once you start occupying them they get smaller, no matter how much forethought you put in to it.
We'd still be really happy in the 19 footer, but we are over the moon in the bigger one..

Have fun!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
How firm is your 15-19' length requirement? Are you trying to fit a particular parking space?

I ask because some of those trailers you are looking at with 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 in the model name are actually 20 to 25 feet long, yet you will find others with 21, 22, 24 etc in the model name that are closer the length the numbers imply. This is just one of those games manufacturers play in marketing to people who have the idea that they need to have a smaller trailer.

Many "ultra light" TTs are fairly expensive, as it takes more costly building materials and construction methods to shave off weight without too much impact on quality. When I think about low cost and light weight, I lean towards GulfStream's AmeriLite line, they've been in this market segment for at least 10 years, while it is something new for some other manufacturers.

In AmeriLite "super light" line there is a 16BHC bunkhouse with a tub, a little under 19 feet long and slightly over 3000 pounds at maximum weight. It has very little cargo capacity, and the dinette is the "adult" bed.

The other bunkhouse in the same line is 198BH, 21 feet long, about 3800 pounds maximum weight, around 3000 empty. It has a separate dinette and queen bed at opposite end from the bunks, but not sure about whether it has a tub or a walk-in shower.

Neither of the AmeriLite superlights has a slideout. Slideouts either add weight (compared to gaining the same space by increasing length) or they add a lot of cost to build the slideout at minimal weight.

Jayco came back into the low-cost lightweight market a few years ago with the Jayflight SLX line. The 154BH is just under 18 feet, about 2400 pounds empty, 3200 max weight, similar floorplan to the 16BHC Amerilite. 184BH is 20 feet long, just over 2600 empty, 3500 max weight. But it does not have a dedicated adult bed, instead it has a sofa and a dinette that converts to a bed.

I looked at the SLX models (and the Jayco captive Starcraft brand equivalents) at the RV show last fall, and was somewhat disappointed in what had been necessary to reach the low price points. The smaller examples I inspected had small window air conditioners mounted through the wall into cabinets, rather than RV air conditioners, and heaters and refrigerators were the low capacity models that normally go into pop-up campers. OK if that meets your expectations and doing occasional short trips in moderate climate destinations, but has turned out to be a problem for some buyers who thought they had found a great bargain for a RV they would use on long trips, or for full-timing or snowbird living.

If you want light weight, high quality, and the floor space gained by a slideout, you might look at the Lance TTs. Their bunkhouse model is 2185, 21.2 feet long and 4000 pounds empty, with the big roomy U-shaped slideout dinette shared by all their TT models. Lance is an example of what can be done using high quality materials well assembled using conventional panel wall construction, but these are not built to a low price point. Their bunkhouse model is likely going to be two to three times your budget. Note also, Lance does not play silly games with the numbers in their model names, being one of the few manufacturers using numbers related to actual length.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

stpauligirlmn
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 17bh Coachman Viking, with a permanent bed, a dinette and bunks. We haven't camped in it yet, but it sure looks good sitting in my driveway right now!

Some of the reasons that we choose the camper: We have two grandboys, ages 3 and 6, and wanted bunks for them. The top bunk is rated to 300#, so an adult (or teenager) can sleep up there. There is both a permanent bed and a dinette. I am lazy and I didn't want to have to change the dinette every night, but we can turn it into a bed if needed. It is 7" wide and a decent weight, so we could tow it easily. It is 22' bumper to hitch, which is longer than I wanted, but still should fit into most out of the way campsites (think COE and state parks). The price was right - just under $12k.

Good luck in your decision!

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! It really depends on your tolerance of being close. I grew up taking cross country vacations in a 72VW Westfalia and then an 8ft cabover camper. Our Pioneer 180ck is generally considered small with an 18ft box and no slide, yet it feels huge and luxurious compared to what I was used to! Others would feel it is too small, but it works great for our family of 5 and fits most campgrounds. It is also nearly paid for, and I do not foresee replacing it.

Spend some time in whatever floor plans you are looking at, sitting at the table, where will you sit/lay down to kick back if it is raining, can you see the TV, stand in the shower, sit on the "throne", walking past each other while someone is cooking at the galley, where will you pack you suitcases for travel, where will they go when you are sleeping, if you have to convert the dinette and/or couch does it bug you, etc.

Good luck!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Nate_and_Shady
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Coachmen Clipper 17BH. We really like it. Has lots of storage space compared to some others of the same size. The side door where the back bunk lifts up for more storage is great. If youโ€™re worried about not enough room inside, you are in it too much and need to get outside and enjoy camping haha.

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Most people I know who have bought a trailer that size, always end up upgrading, especially since you have small kids.

Small trailers have their advantages, but space can be a big issue. If your kids like being outside, and so do you, then small isn't so bad. If you want to spend your time inside the trailer, they get small in a hurry.

My aunt has an Jayco 184bh, she likes it quite a bit, and bought it new for like $12k. I like how the couch flows right into the dinette seating, creating basically a huge couch, I dislike that it does not have a real bed other than the bunks and dinette bed.

In your price and weight range check out hybrids. They aren't for everyone, you have to like sleeping under canvas, but for the size they have a ton more room since the beds don't take up interior space. If I was going for a really small RV (less than 20ft) I would definitely get a hybrid.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

heckufaguy
Explorer
Explorer
I second the slide, our 19 footer had a slide out dinette that made a huge difference. However it wasn't a bunk house. The slides do add weight, and typically in the length you're looking at will assure it being a double axle.
We moved to a 26BH but I think that may be outside the tow capacity of your TV.

Tahoesurfkid
Explorer
Explorer
Thx everyone,

Scbwr thank you that is a good amount of info to consider. Can anyone speak to the quality of one manufacturer to another in the same style or model type?

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Coachmen unit you are considering looks to be a nice unit and could work for you. Just make sure that it has adequate storage space for the type of camping you want to do. Loading gear for a weekend trip doesn't require too much space, but if you are planning on taking any longer trips, the extra clothes and stuff for the kids can add up.

You may want to consider a model that has a slideout for the dinette or sofa as it really helps open up the interior space which can help a lot in bad weather. But, you do have to consider the extra weight of a slideout.

Also, compare awning lengths of different trailers. A lot of manufacturers are installing shorter length awnings as a cost savings factor. With a smaller trailer, I would want the awning to be as long as possible.

Good luck in your search!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
You have enough truck for any of those.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Starting with the Tundra "payload capacity" & working backwards may help the process. Tongue weight must be calculated & becomes part of the payload capacity.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74