cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So you are going to buy your first Tavel Trailer

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since in 2016 the Industry produce over 400,000 travel trailers and Fifth Wheels, it is safe to assume than many folks will be first time buyers.

For the new comers, here is what I have learned in the past several years and I am sure others on the board can expand on this information.

* Floor plan lives with you when all other concerns are accepted or forgotten.
* Your tow vehicle will run out of cargo capacity before it runs out of towing capacity. The dealer cannot help you with this because the cargo capacity is unique to each vehicle and the dealer has no idea how much "stuff" you camp with.
* The depreciation on your trailer is quite steep. It is said, "It falls like a stone in water".
* There may be variations on construction methods and materials but the bulk of the trailers are built in Elkhart Indiana with the same worker pool, raw materials, appliance providers and target price points.
* If you find a trailer with unique, specialized or superior construction features, those features will cost more. Their merits are related to the type of camping you do.
* New vs. Used is similar to buying an automobile, except there are many more things to be aware of. For example, used automobile roofs rarely leak.
* Good insurance is important.

Towing also introduces you to another world of circumstances.

* You will get 10 mpg, often much less in windy or hilly conditions. A bit more if you drive 50 mph on the flats.
* You will probably travel about 300 mile a day.
* Your trailer tires are rated to 65 mph.
* You will be buffeted by Semis, Busses and wind gusts.
* You will be passed by everything on the road. Even I do not like following behind a trailer.
* There is a lot more maintenance than expected when owning a trailer. You are basically hauling your summer cottage behind you.

You might consider renting a trailer similar to what you want, before you spend the big bucks. You will learn a lot very quickly.

Do not let all of the above scare you off. My wife and I came from a canoe and tent background but when we retired and decided to travel, we decided on the convenience of a travel trailer. We have managed over 28,000 towing miles in the last three years. Certainly a different camping feel but perfect for our needs.

These are my observations but there is a lot more wisdom from others on the board, who can give you their advice also. Do not be afraid to ask.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
13 REPLIES 13

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
We need a "like" button on this forum.
Because rbpru's post is a definite like.

X2! Lacking that, this could become a "sticky."
2005 Rockwood 2104
2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4WD
Equalizer
Prodigy

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
rbpru wrote:

* The depreciation on your trailer is quite steep. It is said, "It falls like a stone in water".

Yep ! So you can save a lot of money buying "last years model" or a used TT that is about 2 years old.

rbpru wrote:

* If you find a trailer with unique, specialized or superior construction features, those features will cost more. Their merits are related to the type of camping you do.

Other than Airstream, I have not really seen a TT that really has "superior" construction. It is hard to sell "superior" construction when it can not be seen beneath to finish.

I have never seen ANY TT manufacturer offer an extended warranty for extra money. I wonder why ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I wonder what people think of Air stream after Thor bought them out a few years back

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
rbpru wrote:

Yep ! So you can save a lot of money buying "last years model" or a used TT that is about 2 years old.

rbpru wrote:

Other than Airstream, I have not really seen a TT that really has "superior" construction. It is hard to sell "superior" construction when it can not be seen beneath to finish.

I have never seen ANY TT manufacturer offer an extended warranty for extra money. I wonder why ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

There's also the fiberglass two piece trailers for a superior kind of construction and those manufacturers that use all aluminum and composites (eg Livin Lite) which means the trailer isn't ruined just because a bit of water gets in. Oh and quite a few people like some of the modern Airstream knockoffs more than Airstream themselves as they have had some quality issues in the last decade or so from what I have read.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree it is hard to define Superior because it is mostly opinion.

Some consider Airstream, the various Casita or Bigfoot shell constructions, the four season models and a few other brands to be a cut above the rest. Hence they command a premium dollar for their size.

Interestingly enough my DW did not care for such features. Good old stick and tin was just fine for us. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
We need a "like" button on this forum.
Because rbpru's post is a definite like.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Good summary! Also, insurance, tags, and packing wheel bearings are annual expenses. Unless you have time to use the trailer a lot during the course of a year, it will be cheaper to stay in hotels!
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
rbpru wrote:

rbpru wrote:

Forest River offers 1 extra year for $150.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

rbpru wrote:

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Since in 2016 the Industry produce over 400,000 travel trailers and Fifth Wheels, it is safe to assume than many folks will be first time buyers.

Good post and great advice for 1st time buyers.

We recently bought a new travel trailer. The dealer/owner of the dealership told us that he is selling lots and lots of units. Business is great and most of his sales are to baby boomers....
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Very well said. You covered a lot of important points.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good summation! Still better than a hotel, IMO.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Very well put!

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent post for those in the market..... and a great reminder for those who already own!
Times fun when you're having flies!