cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space heater recommendations?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I recently took a trip to the midwest and was intending to use the propane heat in my NL TC for the sole means to keep the comfort in check and prevent potential freezing issues. The temperatures were in the high 20's a few times at night but up to the 50's in the day. As it turns out, we ended up staying at a location that had full hookups, so I stopped by Walmart and found a relatively compact space heater which saved me many trips to the fill station.

Although this was overall a great solution, the unit I bought had no thermostat but had high/low. The unit was 1500W/750W but on the low setting it produced too much heat for comfortable sleeping. I was thinking it might be nice to have a compact unit that had a thermostat and was safe to leave unattended (meaning no hot surfaces). Does anyone have a recommendation? I use an oil heater at home that includes a thermostat, but it's too big to travel with. A fan isn't critical but probably would be a plus.

TL;DR: I need a portable, compact space heater that is safe to leave unattended and has a thermostat.
18 REPLIES 18

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought a number of them from Walmart and they all have had thermostats.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I've been satisfied with this Crane Mini Tower 1500W Heater

It's fairly small and quiet, has a fan and thermostat (not calibrated in degrees though, turn to the right to make it warmer, to the left, cooler and the heater will cycle on and off). It has a tip-over shutoff (just a switch on the bottom, if the heater tips (or isn't on a solid/level surface), the heater turns off). The plastic parts stay cool to the touch, the front grill would probably hurt if you touched it while in operation, but it's not hot enough to, say, catch a piece of paper on fire.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a variety on Amazon that are under $20.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a Pelonis ceramic heater. Also, Amazon Basics brand.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point