Delete
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
57 REPLIES 57

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO a Dually gives you the most flexibility with the RV type if you can deal the heft of the vehicle. Many people use a HD truck as a dedicated tow vehicle. Meaning that they have another vehicle that they use for daily driving.

If this is your case then by all means, get the dually with a diesel. You can shop for pretty much any TT or Fiver was you would like and not have to worry much about weight.

The case for a SRW starts making sense when you talk about a dual purpose TV. One that has to double duty. I.E. Minivan/SUV duties 98% of the time and TV 2% of the time. This is where, again, Just IMHO a SRW really shines.

Anywhere a CC Half ton truck can go a CC SRW HD truck with a standard bed can go. The footprint is nearly the same. The behavior in drive thru lanes is better with the SRW. You can deal with the urban commuter easier with the SRW.

Also, a 3/4 ton can ride much nicer, especially a Ram 2500 with the coil springs in the rear suspension.

As far as the bling is concerned, get what you like. 17โ€™s, 18โ€™s, 20โ€™s, base trim, mid level trim, high end trim. Get what pleases you AND can do the Job that you need it to do. If you are looking at these newer trucks then the price of tires is not a deciding issue.

I think that is what gets lost a lot in these conversations. Get what works for you in your situation. Make sure it can do the job first, then choose the trim level that pleases you.

If you want that 16,000-22,000 lb GVWR fiver you need to compromise on your SRW dreams and step up to a dually.

If you are looking for a TT in the 12,000 lb GVWR rating than pretty much any SRW truck can do it well, even most gassers.

Lots of typing, and JMHO...

I hope you all have a great day!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

I would say most common. I recently bought my 19 Ram, most of the SRW trucks on the lots I visited while shopping around had 20s. Now, those sizes are specific to Ram, YMMV with other years/makes and perhaps even regions.

My last truck was a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 LTZ, which came with 20s. The 20s weren't an option on 3500 SRW, so if it were a 3500 from the factory, it would have had 18s. Regardless, I pulled them off and put on 19.5s - obviously I'm not too concerned with tire costs. On either side of my sticks and bricks are two trucks, a GMC 2500 and a Ford F-250. Both have 20s. Everyone I personally know with a diesel bought a higher trim model, that would typically come with upgraded wheels and tires. I'm at a campground right now, and the F-250 next to me has 20s too.

Fortunately this is a public forum, and anyone can come along and fill in the gaps.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Can't help but notice you cherrypicked the most EXPENSIVE tire (20") to compare to the cheapest tire (17"). My 18" tires aren't nearly as expensive as those 20's.

That is because most DRW have 17" tires.

I understand why he gave prices for 17" wheels. If you look at the CAPITALIZED word, I emphasized why he chose the MOST EXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVE to make his argument. I would venture a guess that most SRW HD trucks have 18" wheels, not 20's. Further, I would venture that the truck buyers that are buying higher models with 20" wheels aren't as concerned with tire costs.

Thanks though.

What he said ^^^^^^!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Can't help but notice you cherrypicked the most EXPENSIVE tire (20") to compare to the cheapest tire (17"). My 18" tires aren't nearly as expensive as those 20's.

That is because most DRW have 17" tires.

I understand why he gave prices for 17" wheels. If you look at the CAPITALIZED word, I emphasized why he chose the MOST EXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVE to make his argument. I would venture a guess that most SRW HD trucks have 18" wheels, not 20's. Further, I would venture that the truck buyers that are buying higher models with 20" wheels aren't as concerned with tire costs.

Thanks though.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a dually that no one wanted to drive empty so it sets with the cattle trailer connected to it at all times waiting to make a haul from time to time. With a trailer the ride is tolerable. My BIL put some larger aftermarket rims/tires thinking it would help the ride.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Seem to have touched a nerve."

Not at all. Just posting my "personal" experience that i thought I made clear.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Me Again wrote:
The majority of TowHaulers I see running around the freeways of the greater Phoenix area are being towed by headlights high SRW trucks.

What others do doesn't mean much to me just to some folks.

chevman

It should as these people are a danger to others.

really commenting on the SRW idea but agree with you.

chevman

Got it!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
How many miles do you dually guys get out of a set of tires. I only get 40k miles out of my 20 inch factory Michelins.

Current Michelins at 30k have 1/4" tread left all around. Last set only made it 40k total. I did get a big warranty credit to put towards any tire of my choosing. I went with current tires.

You seem to be asking a lot of DRW questions. :B

My preference for what we are currently towing as far as an rv goes is a SRW. We don't have anything in particular in mind for our next RV but chances are it will be heavier than our current rig. In all likelihood the next truck will be SRW, a heavier RV will come in about 4 years which will put me into a dually after that.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:

That's because you see far more new trucks with 20" tires than 18". Most upper level trims come with 20s now, 18s being found mostly on work/tradesman models. All DRW trucks come with 17", unless they're 450/4500 class, then they come with 19.5".
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"One downside to the duallies is they eat front tires faster because big truck little tire."

I "PERSONALLY" have to disagree! As mentioned my 6 tires have the same tread depth all around of 1/4" at 30k. I have not touched the 4 rear tires except to air to 35 unloaded and 68 loaded since I am running over my RAWR a bit. I simply rotate the fronts side to side "keeping the rotation the same" and leaving wheels in their location. Think about that one!!!

BIGGIE is to have a proper alignment with toe set to 1/64". I run full 80psi fronts.

Seem to have touched a nerve. I agree proper alignment and rotation helps tire life.
What I meant was, apples to apples, a dually will eat it's front tires quicker than a srw with tires that are a couple inches wider and this more rubber on the road and lower ground pressure.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Me Again wrote:
The majority of TowHaulers I see running around the freeways of the greater Phoenix area are being towed by headlights high SRW trucks.

chevman

really commenting on the SRW idea but agree with you.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Me Again wrote:

chevman

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"One downside to the duallies is they eat front tires faster because big truck little tire."

I "PERSONALLY" have to disagree! As mentioned my 6 tires have the same tread depth all around of 1/4" at 30k. I have not touched the 4 rear tires except to air to 35 unloaded and 68 loaded since I am running over my RAWR a bit. I simply rotate the fronts side to side "keeping the rotation the same" and leaving wheels in their location. Think about that one!!!

BIGGIE is to have a proper alignment with toe set to 1/64". I run full 80psi fronts.