cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stabilizing when at site

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a 31 foot with a slide and have noticed some considerable bouncing- like on a boat- when people move around. This is our first tt so this is new to us. I do have automatic stabilizers in the front and back but they do not seem to help all that much. Just curious as to what others do. I saw on our last trip that someone had the chocks that were shaped like an "X" in between the tt tires- is this a good method?
Thanks for some insight.
25 REPLIES 25

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
I added scissor jacks to the centre of the trailer and cut a pile of blocks to minimize travel for all six... check out the RV.Net thread.
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
my TT is pretty small (21 feet ball to bumper, 17 feet inside) and with the 4 corner stabilizers down we dont notice any bounce at all. obviously the size makes a difference, but does a single axle vs 2 axle setup make a big difference too? i noticed everyone mentioning x chocks. i have a single axle, so im guessing this changes the bounce factor as well?
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

Mr_MrsSchleppro
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
A BAL scissor jack between the tires on the frame does the job for us. This is in addition to the 4 corner stabilizers.

^^^This... Our TT is 37.5 ft long. It came with power stab jacks, I'd rather have manuals though. We were getting a lot of movement so I added X chocks, they added a little stability but adding manual scissor jacks in the center really made a big difference. I plan on welding steel plates to bolt the center jacks to but haven't done it yet.
Phil&April
'99F-250Superduty4x4/CrewCab/7.3
'04Tahoe4x4/5.3
'14 Salem 29ud3 TT
We used to have Johnny Cash and Bob Hope,now we have no cash and no hope.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
A BAL scissor jack between the tires on the frame does the job for us. This is in addition to the 4 corner stabilizers.
I was thinking the same thing, but would this still work if you didn't bolt it to the frame? The Harbor Freight jacks mentioned look like they could do the job well.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I tried one thing beyond just putting the stabs down, and it helps considerably. One of the things we noticed was a side-to-side wiggle, where the trailer wiggled around the axles as the pivot point. I made a "redneck" device that is simple. It keeps the tongue from moving at all, which limits the rear of the trailer some, too. I don't use this on overnights with DS, but if DW joins us for a whole weekend or longer, I do use it.

If you try this, just don't make the pea-brained mistake I did the last time I used it. Without thinking, obviously, I started cranking up the tongue to prepare for hitching up to come home. I forgot to remove the chains on this device. It stretched 2 S-hooks beyond usability, so I have to replace those before I use it again. 😮

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
I use wedges between the tires and upgraded my stabilizers from the cheap factory ones to 7000 lb rated ones. Overkill for my 4500 pound trailer but the wobbling is noticeably reduced.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since our trailer is raised, the jacks are on tiptoe when they hit the ground -- and that did nothing to stabilize the trailer. And stacks of blocks would wobble. So I made stout wooden tripods to go under the jack pad -- it works well, the tripods come apart for storage, and it is comical:

Here is a little more info:

Tripod blog entry
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Steve1950
Explorer
Explorer
Mmwtdh wrote:
I find the less I extend the stabilizers the better they work. I either stack yellow blocks under them or I bought a set of light weight aluminum jack stands that I put under each foot....

I agree,
00 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4
13 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite Ultra Edition 207-S

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Carrier wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Carrier wrote:
Our 3008 Windjammer was terrible for bounce. Our 10 lb dog felt like a 300 pounder jumping in the trailer. Put x clocks on and it helped a little. Went to the local pick u part wreckers and picked up two of these for $10.00 both had never been used.
I would say 90% of the bounce is now gone.

Looks like you just set yours under the frame. I used tec screws and bolted them to the frame in the same manor as the Jayco folks. I had the electric stabilizers on my last 35' TT, I didn't care for them compared to the old scissor jacks.
Oh and I have an aluminum box on the rear bumper that holds 4X6X10" and 2X6X10" blocks to shorten the jacks stroke.

My latest is a 2015 Jayco 40' TT. I had them take my jack off my 35 footer and attach them for me .............. No charge but then that's Jayco here in Michigan
The more you RV the more you find what works and of course what doesn't!

Trailer is at a seasonal site for a couple more months. I'm making brackets and welding them to the top of each jack then clamp the to the crossbar that they are on now which is just in front of the front tires. It's a 2015 that will be going in for some warranty work this fall and I don't want to give any excuse to deny warranty with drilling any holes yet.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Carrier
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
Carrier wrote:
Our 3008 Windjammer was terrible for bounce. Our 10 lb dog felt like a 300 pounder jumping in the trailer. Put x clocks on and it helped a little. Went to the local pick u part wreckers and picked up two of these for $10.00 both had never been used.

Looks like you just set yours under the frame. I used tec screws and bolted them to the frame in the same manor as the Jayco folks. I had the electric stabilizers on my last 35' TT, I didn't care for them compared to the old scissor jacks.
Oh and I have an aluminum box on the rear bumper that holds 4X6X10" and 2X6X10" blocks to shorten the jacks stroke.

Trailer is at a seasonal site for a couple more months. I'm making brackets and welding them to the top of each jack then clamp the to the crossbar that they are on now which is just in front of the front tires. It's a 2015 that will be going in for some warranty work this fall and I don't want to give any excuse to deny warranty with drilling any holes yet.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
I was noticing how much my trailer moved when chocked and the stabilizers tight while camping. I had made a chock like pictured but I used the Harbor Freight wood clamps instead of 4x4 blocks.
I only used the chock when unhooking at my house which is on a little hill just for added security but the last time I went camping I decided to chock the wheel with the wood clamp and WOW what a difference just having one set of tires chocked up tight made with the rocking. I plan on making another chock and doing both sets of tires next time out.

Muddy,

Got a pic ?
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Carrier wrote:

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I was noticing how much my trailer moved when chocked and the stabilizers tight while camping. I had made a chock like pictured but I used the Harbor Freight wood clamps instead of 4x4 blocks.
I only used the chock when unhooking at my house which is on a little hill just for added security but the last time I went camping I decided to chock the wheel with the wood clamp and WOW what a difference just having one set of tires chocked up tight made with the rocking. I plan on making another chock and doing both sets of tires next time out.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.