cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stable Loads or Supersprings?

cummins1279
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we are still doing research before purchasing a camper.

I tried to search for a comparison between Supersprings and Stable Loads and didn't come up with much.

Has anyone had both and if so which one worked better and why?
I think I understand the principles behind how they both work but theory and real life experience can be different.;)

We do have factory overload springs on out Dodge 3500 but still our last camper made the truck squat. Airbags helped level things out but they also made it sway more. We kept the pressure to a minimum.

Any input is appreciated!
2004 Dodge 3500 Q.C. 6spd. 4x4 Cummins. Torklift FastGuns, airbags.
'05 Nash 22H 4 season. SOLD
'02 Lance 845 SOLD
11 REPLIES 11

cummins1279
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I really appreciate all the replies! Lots to think about.

That's a good idea to check with a spring shop.

devildog1971...Did the extra leaf affect the ride of the truck much and do you mind sharing how much it cost?

I'm starting to think it might be smart to just wait and put the camper on and then decide what to do. Haven't fully decided on which camper yet anyway but the reason I wanted to do something now is because I'll be picking up the camper out of state and I know our last camper did make the truck squat a bit more than I liked.
I think the camper should be similar in weight to our last one though so I could always add a bit of air to the airbags and do any suspension mods later.

Thanks again everyone!
'02 Lance 845 SOLD

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
Upper stableloads, ****SUMOSPRINGS, and shocks. Best ride you will find.

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried a lot of different suspension upgrades and one of the best things I ever did was go to a suspension shop and they added a extra leaf spring. the suspension shops in my opinion are experts when it comes to suspension upgrades and the two I have had work done at were not fans of supersprings and after using them for a month and then adding a extra leaf at the suspension shop I am no longer a fan of supersprings .
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you put the camper on the truck and it sags in the back then you need more support and the choice is between overloads like the Supersprings or air bags.

StableLoads may help with sway but they do nothing to improve the load carrying capacity of your truck. The manufactures use leaf springs and if they are not enough then it makes more sense to me to add more springs instead of something that reduces the range of travel of the springs.

For reducing sway I would start by upgrading the shocks and having the tires at the recommended pressures per the truck manufacturer. If that was not enough I would add a beefy anti-sway bar. Last resort would be upgrading the tires as this will reduce sidewall flex.

I put a 3400 lb. camper in my stock 2011 GM SRW 2500HD truck and it did not sag in the rear and road sway was not a problem. I later added SuperSprings to be able to carry more weight and put on Rancho shocks and switched out the 3195 rated tires for ones rated at 3750. I was building a greater load carrying capacity and not needing to fix a problem with the stock truck.

Bedlam
StableLoads load up your existing spring capacity sooner to reduce squat. If squat is minimal after installing the TorkLift products, it may be enough or you may feel the need for additional support. If you know you will always be at a certain weight or greater where that weight still creates squat, go with a SuperSpring to get leveled. If it only happens when you are loaded heavy (maybe when you take along a lot of ammo for shooting, haul extra water through the desert or tow something), consider installing airbags so you have adjustability. In either case, let the main springs do most of the work.

My StableLoads are enough to help keep the TC from sagging the rear. When I hitch up the trailer, I use the bags to get level again.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Dodge guy with airbags and home made stable loads and love the ride of my truck loaded. I hate the ride of my truck unloaded and believe that i would hate it more if I had the super springs.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

cummins1279
Explorer
Explorer
You beat me to the post.:B I must have been typing when you replied.

That is what we have been leaning towards doing. It's just hard sometimes to know what to do. We do have airbags because they were recommended back when we first got a truck camper but we want to take some of the squat out of the truck without adding the sway and airbags alone don't do that.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Bigfootchevy wrote:
I agree they each have their separate purposes and they would both work very well together.

If I was you, I would add the stable loads first, test the truck with camper on. If your happy it done and if not add either the Supersprings or just add an extra leaf spring to each side of your truck.

But I have also read on here that Dodge trucks work very well with stable loads and air bags together.

I am just not a big fan of air bags and added the extra springs on my last Chevy truck. I would never own a truck again without stable loads.

Hope this helps.

Paul
'02 Lance 845 SOLD

cummins1279
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers! That's interesting that they can both be used together. I think we will just be getting one or the other to start with to cut expenses.

Any feedback on longevity would be great too as well as any problems anyone might have had.
'02 Lance 845 SOLD

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree they each have their separate purposes and they would both work very well together.

If I was you, I would add the stable loads first, test the truck with camper on. If your happy it done and if not add either the Supersprings or just add an extra leaf spring to each side of your truck.

But I have also read on here that Dodge trucks work very well with stable loads and air bags together.

I am just not a big fan of air bags and added the extra springs on my last Chevy truck. I would never own a truck again without stable loads.

Hope this helps.

Paul

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
Have a similiar truck as yours and our overload springs were not engaged enough with our camper resulting in lots of thumping when we went over bumps. I installed the Stable Loads and haven't looked back. Excellent product and they engage the overloads as advertised. Sorry but I have no working knowledge of the SS's.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I use both. They each have their separate purpose and they both work very well together for me. I installed air bags right after I bought the truck and TC because back then thats what everyone recommmended. I ended up never using them. So they are still on the truck collecting dust and dirt. With SS's, stable loads, and a rear Helwig Sway bar I have a solid ride with no sway.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods