cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start-up items needed?

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a site that would list items needed for your first time out with a new rv, like wheel chocks, leveling blocks, etc? I have an idea what I need, but it would be nice to have a check list or something so I don't forget an essential item first time out. I'm trying not to find out the hard way..lol
Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Beer is the first thing on my list Jebby14..lol

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'm like bpounds, throw away stuff all the time. Have a stupid candle for bugs haven't used it in 4 years. My wife put 2 small food choppers in to roll around in the drawers. Coffee pot, toaster, waffle iron and skillets. 1 pan and I can cook anything insider or on the grill. Hose, cord and sewage drain are essential. Mouse trap and Pnut butter. TP and Paper Towels. We carry very little food because we end up eating out, just some drinks and emergency meals..

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I've become kind of a fanatic about NOT bringing stuff, other than the essentials. Figured out I could live without so much stuff, and be no worse off for the experience. Amazes me sometimes when neighbors arrive and start unloading all their craapola.

Having said that, if you cook meals, give some thought to the kitchen essentials that you take for granted at home. Figure out what they are, and permanently stock up the kitchen.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
If your camping will be more remote, than I'd say add more leveling blocks, especially for a longer unit. I carry 3 sets of stackers along with some wood blocks and that's been barely enough in some places like state parks. I added a storage box to the rear bumper just for blocks to keep from filling the pass-through compartment. The site we had last week took 7 layers under the left side wheels and the rear jacks where over a foot off the ground fully extended...looked almost like a mountain side mobile home park when all setup....

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
After we had camped a couple of years we did a check of what we used vs what we had never used. The important things are those you want to get rid of...

Example... Rug. We used it the first year, it got wet every trip. Never used it again. Sold it in a yard sale. (Never needed it where I camped)

Infrared propane grill... Never used.
Nu-Wave Oven... Used a couple of times. Sold it.
Awning lights... Used the first year. Sold em.

THINGS WE USE EVERY TRIP
Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner stove & heavy duty griddle.
Mr. Coffee
Nylon recliner camp chairs & folding end tables.
Folding table for outside.
Large plastic table cloth & clamps to hold in place.
several bath mats to put on wet picnic table benches. Nothing like a dry behind...
Assortment of slinkey hoses & two different lengths of White hose.
Plus the usual assortment of blocks for leveling, wheel chocks ect...
Several lengths of TV RG6 coax for cable vision.
3 heavy duty 25' extension cords
Fan & heater depending on time of year.
Nylon rope clothes line I fixed to use on our awning... Clothes pins...
Many things you take for granted...

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
my wife made up an excel spreadsheet that each of us use. also one for food and supplies.
will be glad to send it to you if you email me.
probably no one size fits all, but we have been using same ones for over 25 yrs.
we usually leave most in 5er now, bit when had 23ft TT most came out and in the shed
welcome
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't read all the lists but a 30 to 50 amp (or vise versa) dogbone adapter comes in handy from time to time. (I may not have this named exactly right so someone feel free to correct me if needed!)
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
If you listen to everyone you'll weigh 46,000 lb when you leave.I don't have 7 of the 17.

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
Here is come things that you pretty much NEED to set up camp, most other things are luxury/bonus items:

Board to level side to side
water hose
sewer hose
4X4 blocks to black under stabilizers and jack (helps to reduce movement)
4 Wheel Chocks
A Hammer (to hammer the chocks tight to the tire to reduce movement)
3ft bubble level

Optional luxury items:
Outdoor carpet/rug
sewer hose stand
pressure reducer valve
hose Y
extra hose and sprayer to clean things off
chairs for under awning
grill/outdoor stove
... and the list can go on and on

After about the first year or after several camping trips, go through the compartments and exterior and interior and remove all of the things that you packed in the trailer, but never use.

This is a pretty good starting list.
I wouldn't call the pressure reducer a luxury. With plastic tubing, you need to be sure you don't have too much pressure on your water lines. Burst one and your camping trip will be cut short.
I use the hose Y and extra hose EVERY trip out.
Get a 25' water hose that will be used about 99.9% of the time. Then get a 10'-15' extra hose that will only be used about 5% of the time, but is critical when you need it.
Same with sewer hose. Get about 20' that you will use about 99% of the time. Then, get an additional 10'-15' section that will only be used about 5% of the time, but is critical when you need it.
One of the best ways to help with trailer rocking is to extend the stabilizers as little as you can. In other words, put blocks under them as high as you can get them and the blocks still be stable. We actually have three packages (10 per package) of the plastic levelers. In addition, I carry about a dozen pieces of 4 X 4 that are about 12" long.
The further you have to extend your stabilizers, the less effective they are.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is come things that you pretty much NEED to set up camp, most other things are luxury/bonus items:

Board to level side to side
water hose
sewer hose
4X4 blocks to black under stabilizers and jack (helps to reduce movement)
4 Wheel Chocks
A Hammer (to hammer the chocks tight to the tire to reduce movement)
3ft bubble level

Optional luxury items:
Outdoor carpet/rug
sewer hose stand
pressure reducer valve
hose Y
extra hose and sprayer to clean things off
chairs for under awning
grill/outdoor stove
... and the list can go on and on

After about the first year or after several camping trips, go through the compartments and exterior and interior and remove all of the things that you packed in the trailer, but never use.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how and where you plan to camp. We often camp hours away from even a small town with a little market, let along a town big enough to have something like a Walmart for supplies. The more remote, the more prepared you need to be.

I always make a point of bringing extra jugs of extra diesel, gasoline and water. Fuel and water are two things you don't want to run out of in the middle of nowhere.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Fuses, basic tools, extra flashlights, some extra pins for the hitch

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
+1 more for camp driveway. also don't forget the beer.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
There is a list in the above RVingFAQ, top of the page.

Stocking an rv
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us