cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing WD hitch when parked

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Do you remove your WD hitch head when you are parked?
What do you do with it?

My Curt head weighs about 80# I can lift it ok and set it on the tail gate of my truck but that is as far as it gets. lol

I would like to keep the head and bars out of the weather and out of sight when camped for weeks at one spot

I guess I could get a locking hitch pin and leave it in but it is a nuisance to walk around and when I forget it is a pain!!!

Curt has a sturdy canvas bag I was thinking of finding a way to lock it (not just the bag) to my trailer and leaving it under the trailer tongue.

Ideas??

jesseannie
37 REPLIES 37

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
I can carry the head with one hand and latch it in the coupler with this tool.

Then I turn it around and lock the coupler.

The bars go in the added toolbox.

The tool can be used to reinstall the hitch.

I like that lifting tool, where can I get one?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I can carry the head with one hand and latch it in the coupler with this tool.

Then I turn it around and lock the coupler.

The bars go in the added toolbox.

The tool can be used to reinstall the hitch.

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pass through in the front of the trailer. I built a shallow wooden box using 2*4 on each side and one end then plywood top and bottom. This box is wide and long enough to fit the bars. The box lies on the floor in which the bars slide into, then the head sits on top. With this setup the dirty bars and head do not mess up the storage area. Storage containers can also sit ontop of this box.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
We remove our Equal-i-zer hitch head, which is quite heavy too, lock it to the trailer hitch coupling, swing it around towards the trailer and cover it with a black plastic garbage bag secured from blowing away with a bungee cord. The bars are stored in the storage compartment of our TT.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
I put the bars in the front storage and caps over the hitch ball which stays on the truck.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will all fit in the front storage area of my TT but most times when I'm camping I just leave the main part stuck in the receiver (with a locking hitch pin). But, like you say, it can be a pain. When camping the bars and anti-sway go in the storage area.

I notice I don't have nearly the problem walking into it with just a bed cover that I had with a shell. Reason being with the shell I use to walk right up the gate while in its locked position to reach in the back of the shell and grab something. With the bed cover I have to lower the tailgate so I'm generally standing further back.

bqcooker
Explorer
Explorer
Like above, for the weekend/week the hitch head stays in the receiver and the bars go behind the propane tanks. At the house, the hitch lays down beside the younger jack and bars behind the propane tanks.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
When we are home the hitch head comes out and put in the shed. When we camp for a week the hitch head stays in the receiver. When we are set up for the summer At Hon-Dah rv park in Lakeside the head comes out and gets put in the storage under the bed from the outside door.The bars are locked to the front hitch lock.