cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Adhesive used in New F150

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard that Adhesive is used in the new Aluminum F150 Body. Seems that the adhesive is called Dow Betamate structural adhesive.

Here is a Link to a post concerning this.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how reliable this structural adhesive will be over time? How will this stuff hold up through thousands of heat and cold cycles...also how will this stuff age?

I am still in the research phase of my next truck purchase and want to make sure I understand these things correctly. Right now the Ram and Chevy are the leaders for my next purchase...

I must admit that there is a basic hesitation in me over the new F150.

The whole aluminum thing by itself is a case for my distrust, then the missing crash deflectors on the supercabs, and now learning that the F150 uses 'structural adhesive' just makes me want to steer away from the F150 (long time Ford guy here too.)

But, I don't want to make an emotional decision but one based on facts.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
54 REPLIES 54

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Supercars.....costing $200,000------$300,00 have been usuing Structural Adhesives for years ..

I believe You will be ok.:W
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
best answer here
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
p220sigman wrote:
jasonlisan wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
...fact is the F-150 is going to cost you more all around, upfront, fuel and insurance...

Don

Don, you are confusing your opinion with real facts, which aren't the same thing. More than what? not buying one and just walking?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.autonews.com/article/20150730/RETAIL...

Tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that repairing body damage on the aluminum-bodied 2015 Ford F-150 took longer and cost 26 percent more than on the 2014 F-150 made of steel.

Last I knew 30 MPG (ED EPA rating) will cost you less in fuel then 23 mpg (the EB EPA rating).

If the total cost only went up by 400 over the steel body it's because Ford is eating the cost difference. That won't last for long.

Don

Insurance on my F-150 is cheaper than my F-350! Not apples to apples, not sure if there is a price difference from an 2014 F-150 to a 2015 F-150.

While I don't have a dog in this fight, out of curiosity from reading this this thread, I got quotes from our insurance on a comparably equipped F150 and Ram 1500. I went to some dealer websites and got actual VINs for the comparison. For us, the actual 6 month premium for the F150 would be $393.65 and for the Ram 1500 would be 406.51. This was for trucks that stickered at about 57K and seemed to have the same or similar equipment. Of course this can vary widely from company to company and from person to person, but in our case, the F150 would be cheaper. Of course, as the insurance companies get more crash/repair data, that could change.

Thank you for doing that!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
jasonlisan wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
...fact is the F-150 is going to cost you more all around, upfront, fuel and insurance...

Don

Don, you are confusing your opinion with real facts, which aren't the same thing. More than what? not buying one and just walking?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.autonews.com/article/20150730/RETAIL...

Tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that repairing body damage on the aluminum-bodied 2015 Ford F-150 took longer and cost 26 percent more than on the 2014 F-150 made of steel.

Last I knew 30 MPG (ED EPA rating) will cost you less in fuel then 23 mpg (the EB EPA rating).

If the total cost only went up by 400 over the steel body it's because Ford is eating the cost difference. That won't last for long.

Don

Insurance on my F-150 is cheaper than my F-350! Not apples to apples, not sure if there is a price difference from an 2014 F-150 to a 2015 F-150.

While I don't have a dog in this fight, out of curiosity from reading this this thread, I got quotes from our insurance on a comparably equipped F150 and Ram 1500. I went to some dealer websites and got actual VINs for the comparison. For us, the actual 6 month premium for the F150 would be $393.65 and for the Ram 1500 would be 406.51. This was for trucks that stickered at about 57K and seemed to have the same or similar equipment. Of course this can vary widely from company to company and from person to person, but in our case, the F150 would be cheaper. Of course, as the insurance companies get more crash/repair data, that could change.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
jasonlisan wrote:
Fordlover wrote:

Don

Don

The problem with the above is it does represent the actual costs to the consumer.

1. Insurance cost increases to the consumer have just not materialized. Add to the fact as more dealers and shops become more efficient at these repairs the cost variance will tighten.

2. Fuel cost differentials between diesel and gasoline still favor gasoline in many parts of the country. So any blanket statement about net fuel costs are just not accurate. In fact the actual net cost difference is a push in many areas.

3. Base price increase was nominal and consistent with industry increases. So now we "know" Fords all in costs and they are just eating it. Or maybe they are run efficiently and can produce at lower costs. Just because you do not like the fact you cannot just discard it because it does not fit your analysis.

Don, you have been a very big proponent of Rams philosophy of different trucks for different roles. For example the low payload in the ED but that is fine because if you want to tow heavier you step up to the 2500 or 3500. But you keep trying to pigeonhole the eb as a direct comparison to the ED based solely on MPG claims. Maybe Fords philosophy is an all around truck that can tow or haul more weight but still get decent mpg.

jasonlisan
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:

Don

Don

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:

Don

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
With all of the different aluminum alloys that are available today, combined with all the available glues, it is hard for me to generalize the future behavior of glued aluminum in a pickup truck that roams the earth in all sorts of climates. . For me it would simply be a combination of faith, wiingness and appropriate price tag for me to take that risk. Next year(s) we will also have people's experiences to help us make our decisions.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer

Don

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Jeremiah all vehicles use body adhesives along with spot welds. The biggest issue with the new aluminum bodied F-150 is insurance cost and repair cost. Despite what Fishy might tell you the fact is the F-150 is going to cost you more all around, upfront, fuel and insurance.

Buy what you feel is going to do the best all around job for you and your family.

Don

I understand why you may have made the comment about Fish but this statement "the fact is the F-150 is going to cost you more all around, upfront, fuel and insurance" has not proved out true in any empirical evidence. The base price on the Al F150 went up less than $400 and there have been no appreciable insurance premium increases on these trucks. Not sure what you are referring to on the extra fuel costs.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Look at some of the explorer hoods at the welds. They are corroding and bubbling the paint . These are aluminum hoods. My close friend has 2013 explorer and is fighting ford over this issue. They will not do anything about it.

That would be a production issue on that vehicle. Ford has used aluminum hoods for many years in the F150 with no issues.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
2016 Ram fixes that Trollboy but I'm sure you already knew that. Yet again someone posts something that you perceive to threaten your almighty Blue Oval and you feel the need to post your typical BS.

Control that angst Trollboy.

Don

Don.... The angst! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rrbowman
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I have heard that Adhesive is used in the new Aluminum F150 Body. Seems that the adhesive is called Dow Betamate structural adhesive.

Here is a Link to a post concerning this.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how reliable this structural adhesive will be over time? How will this stuff hold up through thousands of heat and cold cycles...also how will this stuff age?

I am still in the research phase of my next truck purchase and want to make sure I understand these things correctly. Right now the Ram and Chevy are the leaders for my next purchase...

I must admit that there is a basic hesitation in me over the new F150.

The whole aluminum thing by itself is a case for my distrust, then the missing crash deflectors on the supercabs, and now learning that the F150 uses 'structural adhesive' just makes me want to steer away from the F150 (long time Ford guy here too.)

But, I don't want to make an emotional decision but one based on facts.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I would advise you to get some insurance quotes on the aluminum f150 truck. I hear they are considerably more to repair accident damage due to limited number of body shops able to work on them.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Look at some of the explorer hoods at the welds. They are corroding and bubbling the paint . These are aluminum hoods. My close friend has 2013 explorer and is fighting ford over this issue. They will not do anything about it.