cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck between the brand I want and the trailer I want...

cpap
Explorer
Explorer
Shopping for a new TT...currently own Jayco 264BH Swift. It has come down to a Jayco Whitehawk 27 rear living or rear bath. Or, a Heartland Wilderness 2775RB. My dilemma is I like the Wilderness' floorplan but have more faith in the Jayco brand because I have one and have had not problems worth mentioning and like the 2 year warranty...what to do?

Heartland owners...input? What has been your experience with their products?

Anyone else faced this problem? What did you do?
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Laramie
2013 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2014 Jayco White Hawk 27RBOK...picking it up 7 Nov
40 REPLIES 40

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:
I had a 5ver with a huge rear window. (2001 Alpenlite Augusta 32RL) The rear window was #1 on the list of things I hated. .

that was one question I asked a long time ago and never got feed back. I observed that those who espouse dual pain windows and get a 5er with a huge rear window, if those were DP. I guess not, sort of defeats putting up with them on the other tiny windows if the large one isn't.bumpy

============================

The Keystone 321RES has a huge rear window. About 95% of the time I'm looking at the back of someone else's trailer. Now looking at a Rockwood 8310SS. Lots of exterior storage. Tons of storage inside- 40"TV- rear kitchen (wife loves) and a frig outside for beverages.
Life is good.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

cpap
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up our Jayco 27RBOK yesterday, stayed in it last night...so far so good. It was cold last night so we stayed inside and were very happy that we were comfortable inside. I found a few minor things wrong with it during my purchase inspection but nothing major and all things were fixed without question.

cpap
Explorer
Explorer
WesHawkins wrote:
CPAP

I know what you mean. We have been looking at all brands and models for the last two months. We have a Heartland North Trial and in little over a year the front panel separated and all I got from customer service was sorry its out of warranty. Had to get the President of the company involved. After that they supplied the materials. Won't buy another Heartland product. Were looking now at the OutdoorsRV and have pretty much settled on that brand just need to decide on which model. It was between them and Jayco.

I think what tipped the scale towards Jayco was 2 things: the weight of the camper and the history of Jayco The heartland was only 100 lbs heavier with one more slide. What did they did to save that kind of weight? I figure it had to be something I couldn't see and that didn't set well with me. Also, the dealer I bought from has been with Jayco for 40 years! You don't stay with a company for 40 years unless they take care care of customers.

WesHawkins
Explorer
Explorer
CPAP

I know what you mean. We have been looking at all brands and models for the last two months. We have a Heartland North Trial and in little over a year the front panel separated and all I got from customer service was sorry its out of warranty. Had to get the President of the company involved. After that they supplied the materials. Won't buy another Heartland product. Were looking now at the OutdoorsRV and have pretty much settled on that brand just need to decide on which model. It was between them and Jayco.

cpap
Explorer
Explorer
Put a deposit down on the Jayco 27RBOK, pick it up next weekend. Decision finally made...man, I have never shopped this much for anything in my life!

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
ekirkland,we purchased all 3 Jayco's that we have owned from Dunlap rv. Dunlap Tn. They now have another dealership located in Ringold Ga. which is closer 75miles from our North Al. home. They have 4 or 5 dealerships.

ekirkland
Explorer
Explorer
Bama bluejay wrote:
We own a 2012 WhiteHawk 27 DSRL. I think ours was one of the first off the assembly line. Ours had the small 2 3/8 axels. Not sure about the 3/8 but was close. Had problems and Jayco replaced the axels with a 3inch. If I understand it correctly all the new White Hawk are equipped with the 3 inch axels now. After making the deal I told my DH maybe we should have waited for the bugs to be worked out since it was first year of a new model design. This is our third Jayco, have faith in the co. but lost faith in our dealer.

Since we are looking at Jayco's and live in Alabama, can you tell me the name of your dealer or at least dealer's location? Thanks!!
Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the door between the living area and bathroom/bedroom does open enough to get in and out while on the road and to finish loading. It's snug if you're trying to carry a load, but you can set it down and take a few things at a time. With the chairs moved in front of the rear door, it makes that door inaccessible but the front door into the bedroom gives you access to both bathroom and kitchen + dinette.

In moving from our ROO 23SS HTT we lost some wonderful kitchen counterspace, but the 2604 is still very workable, we just had to rethink how we do things.

Hadn't noticed the tongue weight difference....wonder where it comes from. In any event, either are very comfortable, convenient trailers.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd the Winnebago too. We went to an RV show last weekend and we were most impressed at the Winnebago 5'er we looked at. One thing we noticed was while they all have metal drawer guides, it was the Winnebago's that actually felt the sturdiest. Overall fit and finish seemed as good or better as well.

cpap
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
We looked at both the Heartland and Jayco lightweight TT's and 5'ers. We felt both were decent brands with the edge towards Jayco although the Heartland wasn't far behind. Then we went and looked at Winnebago TT's and 5'ers. The build quality was far better inside and out. Exterior gel coat was much nicer looking, heavier capacity axles, better quality cabinets and counter tops etc. Price was about $2000 more than a similar floorplan Jayco but we felt it was well worth it.

1 1/2 years and over a dozen trips and love it!

I understand what you mean about the Winnebago and if I had a 3/4 ton I might go that direction but the are too heavy for me and I am not willing to change TV.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at both the Heartland and Jayco lightweight TT's and 5'ers. We felt both were decent brands with the edge towards Jayco although the Heartland wasn't far behind. Then we went and looked at Winnebago TT's and 5'ers. The build quality was far better inside and out. Exterior gel coat was much nicer looking, heavier capacity axles, better quality cabinets and counter tops etc. Price was about $2000 more than a similar floorplan Jayco but we felt it was well worth it.

1 1/2 years and over a dozen trips and love it!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
After reading dadmomh's post. Our Jayco Whitehawk 27 DSRL may have the same floorplan but not a problem with chairs and slide, they have enough clearance don't even touch. Door to bedroom can be opened enough to pass thru kitchen if needed. While traveling, with slide in kitchen can be accessed from either door. Thought this might help.

cpap
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
The Jayco with the rear living room is close to a twin to our Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. We love the floorplan, the bathroom is wonderful and the bedroom is plenty sufficient. Indoor times are nice because of the openness and all the windows. We love the rear window, but can see the heat/cold situation depending on when and where you camp. Valid point. Not as fond of the other model and no info on Heartland.

You mentioned the grandkids...how many, how often, do you mind making up the sofa for a few nights? If your sofa is like ours with the air mattress, it's very comfortable.

Things to check out based on our experience. Our slide will not clear the 2 swivel rockers in the position by the window...you have to move them in front of the door and sideways to clear. We don't mind it, just part of the set up, but something you should check if it would be a problem for you. Also, and we know this from experience, if the door from the living area into the bathroom is not closed the slide will not clear. When that happens you have a nasty sound and need Mr. DIY to fix the door frame. Thankfully, you'd never know what had happened unless you looked very closely after having it pointed out to you. Whew! Trust me when I say you'll only forget that once, but something else to check. Also if there are cabinet doors under your TV, make sure they latch securely or use a bungy to hold because if one happens to come open in transit, Mr. DIY is back in business. Your extra foot in length may address these glitches.

We love our 2604 and it really is perfect for us. Our disabled adult son goes with us only one time a year and we have adjustments to make for his wheelchair, etc but it works. We have more than enough interior storage and the pass-through is plenty. We got one of the cheapie runner type rugs that just fits in the pass-through and stops the stuff from sliding around. Very handy.

Good luck, happy shopping and happy camping.

We were also considering the Rockwwod and honestly like them bettet than the Jayco but it is just over the tongue wieght that I felt comfortable towing...another frustrating shopping decision but I had to draw the line somewhere.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
The Jayco with the rear living room is close to a twin to our Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. We love the floorplan, the bathroom is wonderful and the bedroom is plenty sufficient. Indoor times are nice because of the openness and all the windows. We love the rear window, but can see the heat/cold situation depending on when and where you camp. Valid point. Not as fond of the other model and no info on Heartland.

You mentioned the grandkids...how many, how often, do you mind making up the sofa for a few nights? If your sofa is like ours with the air mattress, it's very comfortable.

Things to check out based on our experience. Our slide will not clear the 2 swivel rockers in the position by the window...you have to move them in front of the door and sideways to clear. We don't mind it, just part of the set up, but something you should check if it would be a problem for you. Also, and we know this from experience, if the door from the living area into the bathroom is not closed the slide will not clear. When that happens you have a nasty sound and need Mr. DIY to fix the door frame. Thankfully, you'd never know what had happened unless you looked very closely after having it pointed out to you. Whew! Trust me when I say you'll only forget that once, but something else to check. Also if there are cabinet doors under your TV, make sure they latch securely or use a bungy to hold because if one happens to come open in transit, Mr. DIY is back in business. Your extra foot in length may address these glitches.

We love our 2604 and it really is perfect for us. Our disabled adult son goes with us only one time a year and we have adjustments to make for his wheelchair, etc but it works. We have more than enough interior storage and the pass-through is plenty. We got one of the cheapie runner type rugs that just fits in the pass-through and stops the stuff from sliding around. Very handy.

Good luck, happy shopping and happy camping.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!