Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Substitue for Calgon for GEO method for tanks

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone... hope the camping season thus far has been good to everyone 🙂

We've been using the GEO method for keeping our black/grey/galley tanks in great condition for the last 8 years that we've had our trailer, and I'm big fan of that method! BUT... suddenly I can't seem to find Calgon powdered water softener anywhere.

Calgon is non-salt based, meaning it doesn't technically remove the hard water elements, but rather it "conditions" the water to make it very slick, which allows everything to easily slide out of the tanks during the flushing process. Salt based water softeners are being offered as a substitute, but they remove the elements, and don't do nearly half as good a job at making the water "slick".

Has anyone out there found a substitute for Calgon by any chance? I know I could order it online, but it would cost a small fortune ordering it that way due to shipping costs up here in Canada.

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Celine
23 REPLIES 23

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
dschamp wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Maybe this is too simple: Automatic Dishwasher Liquid...

I do know, it cuts scale and lime from shower walls and shower glass.

In my black tank, I use only 1 "chemical".... Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.

DS - How much Dawn do you use and do you add to every "load"?

Thanks!

That's what i use as well, two or three big squirts per tank works good.

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

I use one chemical too.. H2O
been working for me just fine over the past 10 years.
see no need for anything else.

dschamp
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

DS - How much Dawn do you use and do you add to every "load"?

Thanks!
2015 F-350, 4X4, SCrew, 6.7 diesel
2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Calgon is a brand now used by several different companies for a wide range of products. The original powdered water softener with that brand name was sodium hexametaphosphate. This is not the current formula for the Calgon-branded water softener, since the EPA banned the use of phosphates in many consumer products. But you can still buy sodium hexametaphosphate as an industrial product. Calgon dishwasher detergent is not the same thing as Calgon water softener, nor is the liquid the same as the powder.

I use the combination of Borax and (non-phosphate) powdered detergent for my GEO method. Washing soda (disodium carbonate) might work just as well.

The function of Calgon water softener products is to bind calcium ions in hard water, so they don't interfere with the action of soap (pretty much no longer used in the laundry) or certain types of detergents. Borax and washing soda have the same function. Most detergent formulas already include one or more "softening" agents. So not finding Calgon will not keep you from successfully using the GEO method, particularly if you are not dealing with "hard" water; the detergent is often enough.

In bulk, or even in larger consumer packages, borax is a lot cheaper than the Calgon softeners and does double duty as an insect control, particularly ants.

Thanks for the clear and well thought out answer. We do have very hard water up here, but the Borax might be able to work for us. At any rate, it's our best hope it appears, so I think we'll give that a try for the rest of the season and see how that works out for us. Thanks for the advice 🙂

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
I order mine at Walmart and I pick it up in the store the next day. Cheap and easy.

Wish it were that easy... but as I mentioned... NOT in Canada.

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
Tizi wrote:
walmart carries liquid calgon

Not in Canada they don't.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Calgon is a brand now used by several different companies for a wide range of products. The original powdered water softener with that brand name was sodium hexametaphosphate. This is not the current formula for the Calgon-branded water softener, since the EPA banned the use of phosphates in many consumer products. But you can still buy sodium hexametaphosphate as an industrial product. Calgon dishwasher detergent is not the same thing as Calgon water softener, nor is the liquid the same as the powder.

I use the combination of Borax and (non-phosphate) powdered detergent for my GEO method. Washing soda (disodium carbonate) might work just as well.

The function of Calgon water softener products is to bind calcium ions in hard water, so they don't interfere with the action of soap (pretty much no longer used in the laundry) or certain types of detergents. Borax and washing soda have the same function. Most detergent formulas already include one or more "softening" agents. So not finding Calgon will not keep you from successfully using the GEO method, particularly if you are not dealing with "hard" water; the detergent is often enough.

In bulk, or even in larger consumer packages, borax is a lot cheaper than the Calgon softeners and does double duty as an insect control, particularly ants.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I use the cheapest laundry fabric softener I can find. They are all surfactants so make the water and contents "slipperier".

Ditto. And lots of water.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I order mine at Walmart and I pick it up in the store the next day. Cheap and easy.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
walmart carries liquid calgon
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
calgon is just one brand of water conditioner. there are many others out there with the same base formula, grab one of those. Look on the calgon box, see what it says for ingredients, and look for another with the same ingredients.

That's what I do, when calgon gets in short supply around here.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rav
Explorer
Explorer
we use borax and it seems to work fine- my DW makes her own laundry soap and that is one of the "ingredients".

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I use the cheapest laundry fabric softener I can find. They are all surfactants so make the water and contents "slipperier".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
Washing soda (disodium Carbonate) would probably work.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y