Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Substitue for Calgon for GEO method for tanks

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone... hope the camping season thus far has been good to everyone 🙂

We've been using the GEO method for keeping our black/grey/galley tanks in great condition for the last 8 years that we've had our trailer, and I'm big fan of that method! BUT... suddenly I can't seem to find Calgon powdered water softener anywhere.

Calgon is non-salt based, meaning it doesn't technically remove the hard water elements, but rather it "conditions" the water to make it very slick, which allows everything to easily slide out of the tanks during the flushing process. Salt based water softeners are being offered as a substitute, but they remove the elements, and don't do nearly half as good a job at making the water "slick".

Has anyone out there found a substitute for Calgon by any chance? I know I could order it online, but it would cost a small fortune ordering it that way due to shipping costs up here in Canada.

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Celine
23 REPLIES 23

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this is too simple: Automatic Dishwasher Liquid...

I do know, it cuts scale and lime from shower walls and shower glass.

In my black tank, I use only 1 "chemical".... Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You can try googling Sodium hexametaphosphate to see if you can buy that in Canada- a bunch of links come up in the US.
-- Chris Bryant

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
You might want to check out THIS.

RON

Hmmm... I CAN get Borax up here. Has anyone else used Borax in place of Calgon and can comment on the effectiveness?

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Available at Amazon and ebay...

Costs a small fortune to order it up here in Canada 😞

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I use this Valterra A01-0187VP Flexible Tank Wand. My commode drops straight down and I can put a lighted mirror down the hole and see that after I use the tank wand my tank is spotless. OR You can eat the salt based water softeners and your body will absorb the salt and help you to move the softener to the tank.
Dennis Hoppert

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Available at Amazon and ebay...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to check out THIS.

RON
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
I would if I could get it... but can't find that either 😞

We've always used the powder in the past, as that was all we could find over the last 8 years - dissolved 2 cups in a litre of hot water, and put most in the black tank, and a bit in each of the grey and galley tanks.

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried the liquid? That's all I've ever used.