cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Guards, to buy or not to buy

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Ok how many folks out there have surge guards, and how many wish they had bought one. I got some fathers day money for camping world and I am looking at Surge Guards . In walking around the camp ground I have seen very very few being used. If I get one, I am going to hard wire it in where I don't have to worry about someone walking away with my $200. I have been RV's for 12 years and never felt the need for one, but I don't want to fry anything. Comments??
58 REPLIES 58

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I first bought mine 7 years ago. I was camped at an RV park in Nogales, AZ waiting to cross into Mexico the next day (It was the Bates motel of RV parks, BTW). A guy in a class A pulled in and I asked him if he was headed into Mexico. No, he told me, he was on his way home after 1 week. his fridge board was blown due to bad power. Next morning i doubled back to Tucson and got a surge guard. 7 years of RVing in Mexico later, the thing shuts down often 3 or 4 times a day due to low or high voltage. All my electronics re still intact.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
well first of all it will probably be more than $200. and I wouldn't be without one, but make it a multi function one that protects against over/under voltage, mis wiring, delayed AC restart, etc. don't cheap out because "I've camped for 150 years and never needed one". you only need it once. remember one night in Austin a bolt of lightning hit the campground and after the smoke cleared I was about the only RV in the park that had any lights on. all those others probably hadn't had a problem for years either. :s
bumpy

x--2

I have never had a problem either, BUT the guy across the street had a pedestal go bad on his site and when I left his insurance company had replaced in excess of $2000 worth of electronics. Everything in a modern RV unit has some type of circuit board waiting to be fried.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

MeandMyLabs
Explorer
Explorer
For those that claim they have never needed them or had a problem, there may of been instances they simply were not aware but hidden damage could be the result.

We purchased or 30 amp portable unit from Progressive Industries in 2009 and since that time we have had the following instances:

Open ground 3 different times in 2 different locations
Low voltage - 1 instance
High voltage - 2 different times including one at my home. (power company at fault there)
Reverse polarity - 1 time

The open ground situations probably would not do any damage to equipment but could be very dangerous in wet conditions.
Low voltage - potential serious damage to equipment.
High voltage - definitely would seriously damage equipment.
Reverse polarity - the scariest of all situations. Receptacle was wired incorrectly.

We feel our investment has paid for itself many times. State and municipal parks are suffering from budget constraints and unless you camp in the most high end exclusive resorts, you will find that things happen electrically and using these is like an insurance policy without the hassle of making a claim for replacing equipment.
2017 Salem Hemisphere
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
In all my years of camping I had never used one but for some reason I recently decided to get a Surge Guard 30 amp portable unit (about $220 at CW). On the first trip with the unit we pulled into a horrible campground for an overnight. On the 30 amp plug the surge guard kept indicating reverse polarity/open ground. Using a dogbone I tried the 50 amp plug and the surge guard showed only 90 volts. Tried several other pedestals, we were the only ones there, with the same results. I can't begin to guess how many dollars damage I would have incurred had I not had the surge guard and had plugged into that power. I am sure many times the $220 I had spent on the surge guard. You can bet I will never again plug in without checking first.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Clarkston
Explorer
Explorer
would not be without one saved me with low voltage!

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't even think twice about it mine saved my electronics one day at Meramec Caverns when they had some kind of an electrical problem.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yesterday evening I moved our TT & truck to the driveway in front of our house to head out today. It's normally off to the side of our property along with a dedicated 30 amp RV recept. that has #8 back to the panel. I installed a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS at the beginning of this season.

We have a built-in vacuum cleaner in our TT (on a 15 amp brkr.) and I tried to clean the floors. Lo and behold, the power kept switching on an off. Checked the EMS display with the vac running and it was getting down to 98 volts! I am very surprised. The 15 amp recept. I plugged into loops around the 2 car garage with #14 ga. wire before it connects to the panel. Open circuit voltage at the recept. was 117 volts. Plugging the 30 amp shore power cord right into the garage recept. (with adapter) made no difference. The vac unit draws 12 amps and nothing else was on.

This clearly demonstrates how much voltage drop there can be when plugging in at home. With a smaller #16 gauge extension cord, it would be even worse. A #12 gauge or larger extension cord would not have helped.

Without an EMS, it would easily be possible to damage anything that is voltage critical like AC units. You could even measure the voltage at your camper and think you are fine, but then damage your AC.

Bottom line - an EMS unit is definitely worth it and there when you need it.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I have a surge guard, Built in. I RV a lot in Mexico and in some parks it is blocking power more often than it is letting it through. I have seen 2 people blow fridge boards without them so far. In one RV park they had a 220 hookup that somebody plugged into by mistake, that fried everything.

The progressive industries unit looks nice, but I already have the surge guard. If it packs in, I may go with the PI.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Power surges and low voltage conditions have an accumulative damaging effect. You might not see any damaged equipment on the first or even the second incident. But it all adds up to an expensive failure.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

graddy0051
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a surge protector. It's like buying insurance or bear spray. It seems too expensive until you need it. I was out in Yellowstone four months hosting a campground. My first week there we had a park electrical surge while we were cooking in the microwave. The microwave blew. It's one of the fancy built in ones loaded with convection oven etc. Then IO ordered a surge protector(after the horse was out of the barn). It could have been the Fridge, tv, or A/C !

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We went with the Progressive Industries , I like its make in America and has a life time warranty. I will get it in, in the next couple of weeks. $210 at camping world and I like having the display in the camper. Want worry about someone walking off with it either.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 30 amp Progressive Industries surge protector. We paid around $80 for it on Amazon. As I understand it, there are two options in the portable units for both the 30 amp and the 50 amp. The cheaper one like we have is basically a "surge protector". It will protect our electronics from a voltage spike typical in a lightening strike for example but will not protect from low voltages or high voltage conditions where the voltage rises slowly. The more expensive version has the LCD display and does protect all of the above scenarios. These are commonly called "Voltage Management Devices", not just a surge protectors.

69CamaroSS396
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I are complete newbies, but after doing much research, and seeing replacement costs of RV appliances, we bought a Progressive Industries PT30C. Seems like a small price to pay after investing $25K in a travel trailer. But that's us. Everyone is different.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
While overnighting at my niece's, on the way to Hawking Hills, Ohio, I plugged into her garage outlet. My Progressive Industries power management unit wouldn't allow the power to flow. Spent an hour changing the polarity on all her garage outlets as they were all wired backwards. She wouldn't have ever known there was a problem until someone got zapped. Apparently the previous homeowner was a do it yourselfer without electrical knowledge. (My sig photo is taken in front of her house)
Get the best protection you can afford.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics