cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protector?

turtletalk
Explorer
Explorer
Should I be using a surge protector at home and in campgrounds? What kind,etc..??
16 REPLIES 16

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting? I posted question a few days ago. Click here.

First! You really do not NEED a surge protector..... but! If you've ever had any electronic equipment in your home go "poof" in the night, you'll understand the need for one. Now, add to that a few thousand dollars for replacing the electronics in your camper, and wisdom will dictate your answer. The fact you asked the question at all, the answer is quite obvious ... "yes" YOU do. Your mind and heart will not be at ease now, ever again, until you get one!

Second. Whenever your camper is plugged in, anywhere, if you have a protector, plug it in! That's what you will have it for. You never know when you might get an electric spike, or low voltage, or anything that could cause your electronics to go "poof"! Power Surges, low voltage occurrences are not pre-determined, timed events. They occur whenever ... and usually when it's not convenient or a good time! Nothing worse than having your camper go "poof" the morning you plan to head out!

Third. Brand, type, style? Well, any protection is better than none. Some are a little better at preventing higher jouls than others. That might be the biggest difference. Next difference is the ability to see the read-outs (volts, amps, etc).

I think there are 2 major players out there competing for your business. There is SurgeGuard and Progressive Industries. No doubt there are others, these are the 2 I've dealt with.

Both will protect your camper, and reading these forums, both will eventually blow up! (die), and both will protect your camper. The biggest difference I've seen and read so far, is the Progressive Industries models have a lifetime warranty. They replace them when they go "poof"! SurgeGuard has a 1 year warranty and then if it dies, you will end up buying another one, or something else.

I had a SurgeGuard, was very happy with it. Plugged in 24 x 7 non-stop, except when traveling on the road. Lightning damaged it (I think) and eventually, it just gave up and died.

I now have a Progressive (SSP 30).

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If rig is 50A and you go to numerous CGs...yes

Progressive Industries......Lifetime warranty. Others only 1 year.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31