cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sway bars

svjim
Explorer
Explorer
We took our Adventurer 86SBS out for its maiden voyage and the experience was generally favorable. However, there was some buffeting from passing vehicles and flat turns were a bit of a strain at times. Noe of it was unacceptable, but I feel it could be improved a bit with some upgraded sway bars.

The vehicle is an 1999 F250 super duty, 2 wheel drive, long bed. There are both front and rear factory installed sway bars on the truck. I,ve added stable load, timbrens, new blistine shocks, and upgraded the tires. I have two questions. First any particular recommendations for a sway bar brand. If there is no real difference in brands, I want to go with the least expensive. Second, should I upgrade both front and rear or only the rear.

Thanks,

Jim
2014 Adventurer 86SBS
1999 F250 HD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens
Hellwig Big Wig Anti-Sway bars
8 REPLIES 8

svjim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. They have been most helpful.

Jim
2014 Adventurer 86SBS
1999 F250 HD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens
Hellwig Big Wig Anti-Sway bars

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Area13 wrote:
My truck doesn't have any bars, any suggestions?

Boy howdy are you gonna feel a difference then. You can very easily add them, you'll just need to get end links and make sure you have the factory brackets on the axles. If you don't have the brackets on the axles, then hit up Summit Racing.

Sway Bars are relatively easy things to make work, especially since most Ford trucks already have them. I'm honestly kinda surprised you don't even have a front one, I thought they all did.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the roadmaster, it only has one available for my truck with existing sway bars. My truck doesn't have any bars, any suggestions?

"Rear sway bar 1 3/8 diameter F250 & F350 w/ factory bar only"

http://roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_guide/rss.php
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I put a Roadmaster rear bar and a Helwig front bar on my 1999 F350 dually. I had bought it new with the camper package, and it already had front and rear bars, about 1 1/8 diameter I think. Both replacement bars were 1 1/2 if I recall. Keep in mind that the torsional stiffness is proportional to the FIFTH power of diameter, so 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 is a huge step up. It made a marked difference to handling in cross winds, passing trucks, and generally improved everything far more that airbags or shocks (which I had already installed).

The Roadmaster kit was clearly a cut above the Helwig in quality - but both fit and worked. The Helwig was cheaper - I bought it only because Roadmaster does not make a bar to fit my truck. Make sure you do a good internet search for prices, they vary a lot between retailers.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
I put the roadmaster bars on my 2000 Ford
front and rear best money spend 🙂

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
The largest one we can get for our trucks is the Roadmaster. Helwig is second largest. I replaced the factory rear with it, night and day difference from the stock bar.

Was a perfect bolt-in, just took a little fenagling to get it around/over driveline.

'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at Helwig, they have several different models. As was stated measure the bar you have now and go from there. Also check your bushings, you may just to upgrade them. I got some at Summit Racing, they are much better tan OEM.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Go by the diameter of the bar. The thicker the bar the more effective it will be.

None of these pickups were engineered to have a full time load of a top heavy camper in the bed.