cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Table/ bed conversation

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Are they actually useful as a bed. if so just for small kids 50lbs or so. It's on a 26 foot Shasta oasis RB
15 REPLIES 15

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the dinette size and how fussy you are about your bed.

My dinette cushions are comfortable to me, and my grandchildren who have used them, but you had better be not much more than five feet long. U-Shaped dinettes give you a bigger bed.

In some compact RVs, sometimes the dinette is the only bed, e.g. most 13-foot travel trailers. And that one might be less than six feet in the long direction.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
All depends on the model. My old '87 Wilderness has a dinette that I hate sitting in, but can sleep me very comfortably. And I'm just at 6ft, the dinette bed is about 6'1"

While shopping for a new one, I noticed all the trailers in my price range had dinettes that were much more comfortable to sit in, but too short to sleep in.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the dinette size, I have seen several different sizes so you will have to measure. Mine is just over 6ft end to end when set as a bed and about 40" wide. Plenty comfortable for a full grown adult up to around 6ft, and we have had 2 adults sleep on it for a couple nights. Mine also is wall mounted with a single leg. Pretty stable and unobtrusive when a table, and makes into a bed in about 20 seconds. We use it and the fold down couch every night plus the bunk so each of our 3 kids has their own bed.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
My main question is about size how of a person can fit on one? Comfortable

russkerri
Explorer
Explorer
We have to sleep on a dinette bed in our camper, and we found that a 3 inch memory foam mattress helps a lot. We just leave it down as a bed instead of folding it up and down. That being said, kids won't care a bit about having the extra padding because they can usually sleep anywhere. For adults (and as the kids grow), the other main issue is the length.
Kerri
RVs with a Jayco 184BH named Birdy
Blogs at Travels with Birdy

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Go ahead and use the dinette for a bed for your child. A jack-knife sofa is the better bet - (especially one in a slideout :w), but I'm sure your kids will have a blast regardless of where they sleep. And only you can determine if setup/take down is a PIA. And really, does it matter? Your doing it for your kid! The suggestions for air mattress, foam topper, sleeping bags are a great way to make it more comfy.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I hated my old dining roomt able that had two posts that sat inside mounts on the floor. The table was never stable, the posts got in the way of your legs/feet and when you converted you had 2 posts laying around. I like the new one because it has a folding leg on one end and it slides into clips on the wall. We had my 300lb brother in law sleeping on it for a few days and it wasn't a problem as far as stability, but it's not comfortable really unless you have an extra layer on top of the normal pads.

If you just want a spot to lay down and watch TV though, it's fine.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suppose it depends on the table. On my Crossroads it's on a slide mounted to the wall and makes into a full size double bed. I like to use it better than the sleeper sofa because the sofa narrows down the aisle quite a bit.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
After 2 trailer with dinettes that converted to a bed, I found the bed much more comfortable than the dinette seating. We never used the dinette as a dinette. Too cramped, too narrow, and backs always too low for comfort. And forget about relaxing to watch television or lounge around. You have to sit up, hold your head up, and that gets tiring real fast. We kept the dinette in the bed position 99% of the time we had them.

Current trailer has stand alone furniture. We actually removed the table and chairs and replaced with a household recliner 3 seater couch and use folding outdoor end tables. Works much better for us. I'll never go back to a dinette. If someone comes along and needs bed space, the couch that came with the camper has an air mattress and it actually is very comfortable when laying on the floor. Really!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
An inflatable mattress will make it more comfortable or we used to stack extra sleeping bags on top of the cushions to help get rid of the lumps. We've had several couples sleep in ours with no complaints.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Daughters up to young adults had no problem sleeping on it (much lighter and younger than me). The taller one (5' 9") had to sleep diagonally on ours.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
They are fine and should support 100 pounds easy that's what they are made for

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
they work well when you run out of beds because the kids bring extra friends or if the kids are fighting and don't want to be in the same room at night ๐Ÿ™‚

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Cdaddy wrote:
Are they actually useful as a bed. if so just for small kids 50lbs or so. It's on a 26 foot Shasta oasis RB

IMO, no. Cushions are lumpy and setting the table up as bed gets old pretty quickly. However, you sometimes gotta do what you gotta do. ๐Ÿ˜‰

i would agree, as an every night solution, i dont think so. in a pinch, it works. I'd imagine if I were using it regularly, I would probably get either a memory foam topper (just cut to size) or an air mattress.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH