cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgate pad to carry bikes

bikeandcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, I am thinking of using a tailgate pad to transport bikes while towing my TT. I am interested in hearing from anyone that has had first hand experience doing this. Not interested in opinions, conjecture, etc. Pads generally work great but I am not so sure about the clearance at the front of the TT during sharp turns. I plan to get out a measuring tape and make my own determination but you're first hand experience ( good or bad) would be helpful. Pix would be great too. Thanks.
22 REPLIES 22

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

I've never seen one of these tailgate pads either but anytime we camp our truck gets filthy so my immediate reaction is a pad like this, with sand & dirt all over the tailgate, would only serve to destroy the finish, just like sandpaper would. :E

Actually the pads appear that they would do a reasonable job of protecting the truck. My concern is how much the bikes would bounce around on a longer trip. I've never seen anyone actually use one of these on the freeway.
Yakima tailgate pad.

I originally built something like you did but with PVC piping. My issue was that I have an Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover that I'd have to remove when carrying the bikes. And that thing is heavy. So I came up with the arrangement in the photo above. Cover folds back, bikes go in. Get to the site cover can be locked again. No need to remove the cover.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
I have personally never seen anyone using the tailgate pad. I seriously considered trying this but then didn't do it for the same reason you are concerned about. Backing up sharply is more of the issue that I thought about.

I've never seen one of these tailgate pads either but anytime we camp our truck gets filthy so my immediate reaction is a pad like this, with sand & dirt all over the tailgate, would only serve to destroy the finish, just like sandpaper would. :E Seems to me it would be a lot simpler, a lot cheaper, and a lot safer to just put together some sort of bike rack that would fit the back of the truck. This is the one I built out of scrap plywood for our '06 Silverado that would hold 4 bikes upright & totally securely.

Once our boys got older and we no longer had the need to drag bikes along camping with us I rebuilt it, cutting it down in size, and now use it to hold my fresh water Aquatainers, hanging it off the garage wall where the 'Tainers can air dry between camping trips.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
My kids used one. As far as I know, there were no problems with tight turns.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Please ignore the peanut gallery. While I appreciate you wanting to limit the conversation, sometimes folks come up with some pretty clever ideas so I hope you are open minded.

I have personally never seen anyone using the tailgate pad. I seriously considered trying this but then didn't do it for the same reason you are concerned about. Backing up sharply is more of the issue that I thought about. I would have had to remove the bikes prior to pulling into a tight spot. I also read that the pad is not intended for long distance use.

If you do use a pad one thing you could consider is a longer receiver shank. I have a longer one so that I can open my tailgate with the trailer hooked up. Not sure if that would provide enough clearance though.

Below is the solution I finally settled on. It still leaves plenty of room to carry other things in the bed. But if you have more than 2 bikes I can see why you'd be looking at the tailgate pad.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bikeandcamp wrote:
I am thinking of using a tailgate pad to transport bikes while towing my TT.

OK, so the OP apparently wanted to restrict conversation to just tailgate pads but since I've never heard of or ever seen one I would like to ask just what the advantage is in using one when one can simply park the bikes in the back of the truck? :h A few pieces of scrap plywood and I was able to carry four bikes in the back of our Silverado, along with a set of fresh water Aquatainers, 5 lb propane tank for powering our Weber Q grill, under awning ground mat, and still had space for other sundry items.

Serious question - what's the "magic" with one of these tailgate pads? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bikeandcamp
Explorer
Explorer
I am specifically interested in a tailgate pad solution.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you find the pad doesn't work, you can consider adding a front hitch and using a wheel holding carrier from below, that's what i did for it current trip to take 4 bikes and the trailer. Helps restore weight to the steering wheels as a bonus.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have not had one but I've seen a rack for the front of a TT that held bikes above the battery and propane tanks.
Looked it up, its called a Stromber cc275.
Wal Mart has them.
Not what you asked about but could be an option if you don't have room on the rear of the truck.