cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Takata airbag recall

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Just received notice from GM that my 2012 Chevy 2500 needs the "passenger" side airbag replaced as it may explode in an accident. No parts available. Now these Takata airbags have been known about for several years on many makes and models. What gives?? Why only for the passenger side airbag? You would think all Takata airbags should be replaced in these particular vehicles. Also my '18 Toyota Highlander has been recalled since the low pressure fuel pump may fail and car will quit and may not restart. That would be a problem on the interstate or in wrong part of town. No parts available!
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@thomas, thatโ€™s dealer service at its finest for you!

While Iโ€™m sure many repairs are completed successfully the first time at dealerships, in my limited experience, as I havenโ€™t had many personal vehicles that had warranty and have generally had good reliable service out of the dozens of new company trucks Iโ€™ve had, my overall experience is around 50/50, good vs bad.
And that is not โ€œgoodโ€. Lol
Some of its corporate bureaucracy and policy Iโ€™m sure, but I believe the struggle is real to find good techs and service writers. Had an issue a couple years ago with a Chevy, under warranty. Over 9 weeks and 3 service writers later (first 2 were fired or quit within that time) I got the truck back fixed right.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
navybanker wrote:
Grit Dog, while this is not a "major" problem, did receive some good info. Thanks for comments. Since it will be a while on both vehicles, on to other things.

Good to hear!

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Grit Dog, while this is not a "major" problem, did receive some good info. Thanks for comments. Since it will be a while on both vehicles, on to other things.
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I also received the recall letter about my 2009 Suburban. I was at the Chevy dealer for another reason and decided to ask the service guy about it. He said that since Takata went bankrupt it's hard getting replacements and GM has only authorized to do the oldest effected vehicles first which was 2007. He said even if I had a 2007 they probably couldn't get a replacement for a while and since I had a 2009 there was no reason to even think about getting one right now.
Despite a recall or bankruptcy it's very difficult buying much of anything right now. From trucks to electrical supplies, appliances to motorcycles everything is in high demand and short supply. I'm an electrical contractor and I buy materials daily. I used to know which supplier had the best prices on which items and would purchase accordingly. Now it's all about which supplier actually has an item in stock and you pay the price because you need it for the job. Even then, my wait times for most materials are drastically longer then they were before, if I can even get something at all.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
navybanker wrote:
Just received notice from GM that my 2012 Chevy 2500 needs the "passenger" side airbag replaced as it may explode in an accident.

I got the same letter last week for my 2009 3500HD.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
navybanker wrote:
Also my '18 Toyota Highlander has been recalled since the low pressure fuel pump may fail and car will quit and may not restart. That would be a problem on the interstate or in wrong part of town. No parts available!

We own a 2019 Highlander. Took it into the dealer for 5000 mile maintenance and mentioned delayed throttle response/hesitation. Didn't see the vehicle for a month! That was in June of 2020. Got it back in early July filled it with gas, drove it to the grocery store and parked. It was spewing gas from the top of the fuel tank. Had to be towed back to the dealer. Seemed the tech "improperly installed" the new fuel pump in the tank. :M

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
navybanker wrote:
Just received notice from GM that my 2012 Chevy 2500 needs the "passenger" side airbag replaced as it may explode in an accident. No parts available. Now these Takata airbags have been known about for several years on many makes and models. What gives?? Why only for the passenger side airbag? You would think all Takata airbags should be replaced in these particular vehicles. Also my '18 Toyota Highlander has been recalled since the low pressure fuel pump may fail and car will quit and may not restart. That would be a problem on the interstate or in wrong part of town. No parts available!

Because GM has been trying to avoid the recall. But recently lost their appeals. That is probably why you are just now getting the recall.

Article here

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Almost all of the deaths, if not all came from Hondas, specifically the Accord and Civic. I highly doubt that GM used the same exact inflator as Honda did. Maybe the same technology and design, but based on the larger airbag it was definitely a different inflator.

I have heard that GM has data for over 60,000 deployments without a single issue. I would assume you are safe to drive your truck until replacement are available.

And why only the right hand side? Due to volume GM may have actually sourced more than one supplier. Due to part traceability of safety critical items like this, they know what your truck has in it and if anyone sneezed on it prior to installation.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
In general, the โ€œpartsโ€ situation is challenging for many things. Hopefully, we will recover by late 2021.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Find something else to worry about, imo. If this is actually newsworthy then youโ€™re living pretty good!
BTW, I, or you, or anyone could buy a fuel pump for your Yoda right now, today if needed.
Mfgs meter or limit parts availability for recalls to meet the supply/demand. Doesnโ€™t mean theyโ€™re not available. Means you donโ€™t need a free one bad enough yet.