cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taking smaller airstream down Forest Service roads?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
How tough are airstream trailers? I would like to hear from actual airstream owners that have subjected their camper to some pretty punishing roads and over a number of years who could testify to the toughness of their construction.
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
8 REPLIES 8

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure they are tough enough. It would kill me, though, to ruin that gorgeous exterior with the branches and thorn bushes that stick out into the forest roads. I don't mind "boondock pinstripes" on my dull fiberglass box trailer. (In fact, they are badges of honor.) But scratching up a Streemer would be like defacing the Mona Lisa! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If you want more ground clearance, you may want either axle spacers between the axle mounting and the frame. or order a new axle and specify a different angle on the axle, standard is, I think, 22ยฐ but you can specify 35 or 45 to get the coach up higher.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Dexter-Axle/K71-724-02.html

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Wally Byam in the 50's and 60's would lead large groups of Airstream caravans into remote areas of the world. Here's a link to the club website https://wbcci.org/

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
With sensible...slow...driving most quality TTs will hold up.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I put over 400k miles on one, east of the Mississippi roads, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey.
Still going strong.
-- Chris Bryant

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
joe&julie81 wrote:
How tough are airstream trailers? I would like to hear from actual airstream owners that have subjected their camper to some pretty punishing roads and over a number of years who could testify to the toughness of their construction.

I have done this to all of my TTs. Even been down some goat paths a time or two by accident. None were Airstreams though. Maybe they would have held up as good?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
joe&julie81 wrote:

Long long honeymoon has been full-timeing in theirs for quite a few years, 100k miles and many trips to backwoods areas and a few trips to Alaska. They've had a few issues but nothing structural.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting post. Do they have skid plates on the axles?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB