cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TC storage question

realter
Explorer
Explorer
If you live in a subdivision that prohibits storing your TC beside your home, where do you keep it? Do you remove it from the truck?

I've been keeping my rig in an rv storage garage, and am tired of the high rent. But at least it's dry and secure.
22 REPLIES 22

realter
Explorer
Explorer
I just mentioned that for rv's in general, my TC is 11'6". But the door never stays all the way up.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
In principle I agree with the too many rules and regulations but 13' Should be plenty for most truck campers and RVs I would think.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

realter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not feeling as bad now that I read others opinions. I pay $225 for my own locked stall, 16' wide and 56' long. Concrete floor, no electricity, half hour from home. Keep a boat in there too. After 10 years, and being in real estate, I know I should have bought a rental and built a garage. Our city codes limit garage doors to a certain height, less than 13', I believe. Too many rules and regulations

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I like mine stored outside so I can find leaks right at the repair shop not on vacation.

I like the patina of the stored outside look.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^Jim put down the tequila! Op asked where you store the camper when not in use......not the television in the camper! Lol. I want to party with you!

Explained why I had to do the same post twice. ๐Ÿ˜‰

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 12'x 30'x 12'high Versatube structure on a 6" thick, reinforced concrete slab in our back yard. When I went for the building permit it was deemed a "patio pavilion" because out township only allows 1 garage per house, unless you apply for a variance.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Jim put down the tequila! Op asked where you store the camper when not in use......not the television in the camper! Lol. I want to party with you!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live in a very old, tight neighborhood outside of DC. Not a modern subdivision, no HOAs. The city will let you keep an RV on the street for a max of 5 days, then you get a nice ticket. Since there is virtually no open space or large storage facility in our city, we are allowed to park our toys in our own driveway. Ours is smack on the front of the house, no side driveway. Our garage is too LOW.
Had our 24' TT in driveway for 5 years and now the TC backed in. The TC on the truck is 26' long, our driveway is about 25', so we "overhang" into the sidewalk/apron a little bit. Honestly don't like the looks of boats and RV in driveways, but it is what it is (I'm sure our realtor neighbor cringes, but she knows we won't budge).
I like the TC close and ready to go. Can't imagine always storing the rig away from the house and paying...did that temporarily for a few months over the winter - 45 mins away!
When we move again, we will definitely make sure we have space for our RV at the house.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sheesh, I posted in the wrong thread. ๐Ÿ˜ž

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
...I'm curious: by "high rent", how much are you paying? We're paying $840 + tax for 8 months on indoor heated storage with unlimited electric, for 22-foot long space. That's just over $100 a month. many years ago in the same facility, our rent was at the $699 for 8 months + tax. But over almost 11 years storage, it climbed precipitously up to a staggering $840, for 8 months of indoor climate controlled.

Wow, that's cheap! For climate controlled without electric here in SC it's $300/month for a 20' spot. Outside exposed to the elements goes for ~$150/month.

My HOA has a storage lot but not enough spaces to meet demand. Luckily, I have a spot large enough for my TC and is only $150/year. So the TC sits there on saw horses until the day before I'm ready to load up and hit the road.

However, my next house after I retire will have room to build enclosed storage for a TC, FW, boat, and the truck. That way the place will look the same when I'm home or on the road.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
My past Tcs were stored in a RV covered storage I rent year round here in north Dallas, TX. Our new one , hopefully will be picking up next weekend, will be in the same covered storage. Well worth it to keep it out of Hail storms and beat down sun.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
I live in the 'burbs, I put up a 14'high, 40'x32' pole barn last year primarily to store the camper. But since then I added heated concrete floor, insulation, big screen tv, WiFi, beer fridge, reclining couch, .... My wife doesn't see me much any more.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Bedlam
I can keep my camper on the truck in the driveway but cannot leave it off the truck if in street view. It is too tall for the garage, so it sits outside always ready for our next trip and also doubles as bug-out vehicle in case of natural disaster.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area where most of our lot sizes are postage stamp size. I have a rental in Gilroy (South of San Jose) where some of the neighbors store their fifth wheels in their side yard but they end up dominating the appearance of their property. Not quite an eyesore but definitely just looks out of place. Having traveled a bit in the Midwest I'm envious of the lot sizes you have even within the city limits where building an out building isn't even a problem.

Even though I have a fiberglass camper (Bigfoot 10.6) that is better at outdoor storage than most, I looked for indoor storage specifically to be worry free. If it rains (becoming less of an occurrence in California with our perpetual drought) I'm not constantly worrying if my roof is leaking or not. I ended up finding an old manufacturing facility near Hollister (50 miles south of San Jose) that is converting to indoor RV storage. I pay about $225 a month to store a mini-van and my F350 with camper. Though the cost is high, the camper is primarily for business use so it's a business expensive that gets written off.

If I had the space on my own property I would take the money I'm spending in storage and invest that into a small shop / RV garage. Outdoor storage is rough on the RVs and if you factor in the additional wear and tear / maintenance and lower resale value for a weathered RV the spread in costs probably isn't that far apart.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper