cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Big Boys have Just Arrived

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Big Boys have come to town to pull the Ike Gauntlet. Featuring the 6.7PSD and the 7.3 gas powered trucks.

Enjoy... Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
48 REPLIES 48

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m at 304.000 miles right now. The biggest problem is how loud it is in the cab.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
LanceRKeys wrote:
I canโ€™t remember the last time I had new truck fever. I have a 2001 Powerstroke with a 6 speed standard, I bet this new motor will tow circles around mine. Maybe in about 5 years Iโ€™ll have enough of my pennies saved up to to buy one. I am more excited to see that 7.3 go up the Ike than I am about Christmas.

I've got the same truck except it's a 2000 so has a bit less power. You're right, just about anything new will pull way faster. I'm not sure my truck will run up the Ike at 60 mph by itself let alone towing anything. But it's reliable as a Swiss watch and paid for!
I still have a old 99.5 7.3 6sp manual as well. Doesn't get used much because it's a single cab. Still runs well with 255k miles.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
I canโ€™t remember the last time I had new truck fever. I have a 2001 Powerstroke with a 6 speed standard, I bet this new motor will tow circles around mine. Maybe in about 5 years Iโ€™ll have enough of my pennies saved up to to buy one. I am more excited to see that 7.3 go up the Ike than I am about Christmas.

I'm hoping we won't be disappointed when we see an actual test but I don't think we will be.

I've read that it should have more HP and torque than it does but it has the numbers down low where it counts. Another engine could have higher numbers and still not outperform it unless those numbers are in the right place.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
Has anyone commented so far on the amount of room around the new 7.3 vs the old mod motor? Forget about the 6.7, so much packed in there for that one.

That is one thing I never liked about the newer Ford trucks, how far under the cowl the engine was. This one looks like it could be much easier to work on.

Totally agree. Pulling the cab for engine work is simply ridiculous.
My first GM product is my current 2001 Yukon with the 5.3L and I'm totally impressed with how easy it is to work on. :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:

You've got the best diesel engine & transmission combo that Ford ever put in a pickup; don't ever sell it. I looked long and hard for a F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat with a 7.3L/ZF6 combo prior to buying my Ram but couldn't find one that wasn't beat up or had a million miles on it.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I could probably do 40 up the Ike with my 11,000lb fifth wheel. Iโ€™m limited by EGTs.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
LanceRKeys wrote:

I've got the same truck except it's a 2000 so has a bit less power. You're right, just about anything new will pull way faster. I'm not sure my truck will run up the Ike at 60 mph by itself let alone towing anything. But it's reliable as a Swiss watch and paid for!

My old 99 Superduty 7.3 would run as fast as I wanted up any grade if wanted ,not so much towing the fifth wheel, big reason I got rid of it. If it had I would still have it.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
LanceRKeys wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
parker.rowe wrote:
Has anyone commented so far on the amount of room around the new 7.3 vs the old mod motor? Forget about the 6.7, so much packed in there for that one.

That is one thing I never liked about the newer Ford trucks, how far under the cowl the engine was. This one looks like it could be much easier to work on.

If you want a truck to work on I've got an old Duramax I'll sell you for cheap.??
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Williebago wrote:
Nice article, but what I want to know is when are these new engines and tranny's going to be in a F-53 Class A?

It looks like Ford is now advertising this new engine for their F 53 chassis so I would say they should be available very soon.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
S Davis wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
The 7.3 is a $1700 option and for an additional $8800 you can have the Powerstroke. Even though the gasser is probably all most of us would ever need I think it would be very difficult to go from diesel to gas.

I think it would be much easier after dealing with a CP4 failure not covered by warranty.... :B

Just got rid of my 2013 Duramax for that reason, it started acting funny.

Just a thought, but $350 would buy a CP4 bypass that prevents the catastrophic damage if the pump gives up. $1000ish buys a new CP4, or $1500ish buys a complete CP3 conversion. (But you have to be deleted for the conversion Iโ€™m almost certain).

Several not so expensive solutions compared to buying a new truck. And you have a 2 out of 3 chance of getting a CP4 again unless you stuck with GM. Which again, he11 of a lot more $ than fixing the issue.
But makes for a good excuse for a new rig if thatโ€™s what youโ€™re after ....

I guess I should have said it was one of the reasons, the other was the L5P. I got $27,000 for my 2013 and $11,000 off msrp on a 2019 2500HD CCLB So that made it easier. I had thought about doing the CP3 conversion but then I would have had to tune and delete.

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
Nice article, but what I want to know is when are these new engines and tranny's going to be in a F-53 Class A?
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]