cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The new ST tires. Fact or fiction (marketing)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
It is good that some manufacturers seem to be stepping up the quality of their ST tire offerings.. And even better that many of the proponents of ST tires on this forum are welcoming these new tires with open arms.... Though I must point out that since they are now so happy about this, that they must recognize the inferiorority of the previous tires... Despite many past statements to the contrary.

Now to the point of this post: Years back I studied the govt. testing standards for LT tires vs ST tires. It was a real eye opener and cemented my decision to pass on ST tires.

I am not interested on doing that again. It is a very hard read, and takes a lot of time. And having found my tire solution, I am not interested in go back to STs.

The question I have is about the new Higher speed ratings. Are these tires tested to to that by the govt? I am not so sure. Having an ST tire designation may limit at least some of the testing to the 65 MPH speed limit for ST tires. I doubt the regs have been changed because of these new tires.

If they are not being tested to the new ratings, then it is just marketing..... Again!

I tend to believe the worst as these new tires still have a very low price point. That was one of the primary reasons for the ST.
"The ST tire is an affordable solution for your trailer tire needs"
IOW, a cheap tire that is good enough.

Premium materials and construction cost money and should raise the price... Yet these new tires are still much less that half the price of a premium LT tire.

I smell a rat.

If I were an ST tire fan, I would want to know the truth.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
88 REPLIES 88

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the entire internet and Amazon is wrong. The 235/75-16s weight 42 lbs I don't see a 15" tire weighing that. I can tell you one thing for fact, the HD doesn't weight 13lbs more than the Endurance.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
That's strange.....the weight of the 225/75 15 E's show 29lbs and I've held them next to the Endurance and there is very little if any weight difference.

Their Sport Trail LH weighs that...not the HD series tire.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
That's strange.....the weight of the 225/75 15 E's show 29lbs and I've held them next to the Endurance and there is very little if any weight difference.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:

Where did you find that the Carlisle HD's weight 42lbs? I'm finding 28-30lbs online.

Simple tire dot com states the weight correctly.

Add to that, I can confirm with my own shipping invoice and personally holding the tire side by side with a lighter Westlake. They are heavy ST tires!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
I'm gonna stick with what I said because I've not found evidence requiring govt-mandated testing of ST tires. In fact, didn't someone here recently post a Consumer's Report article evidencing the lack of govt. testing of ST tires?

There has always been Govt. required testing of ST tires. The problem has always been that the standards have been so low as to make it useless.

Now we have a crop of new supposedly vastly improved ST tires....
Their supposed capabilities far exceed what the old tires were tested to..
The question is: Have the testing requirements for ST tires been updated in order to verify the new capabilities of the ST tires.

It appears that even though the ST tire fans are thrilled about the prospect of the new tires (thereby admitting that the old ones were seriously lacking) that they are willing to just take the manufacturers word for it.... The same ones that for many years told us how great the old tires were!
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm gonna stick with what I said because I've not found evidence requiring govt-mandated testing of ST tires. In fact, didn't someone here recently post a Consumer's Report article evidencing the lack of govt. testing of ST tires?
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
PhillyG wrote:
Back to the OP's original statement, "If I were an ST tire fan, I would want to know the truth." Without getting into the merits of using LT v. ST tires, I believe the truth is elusive as there's no real analysis or body of evidence we consumers can use to make good buying decisions.

I do not believe that to be true.

What I am suggesting is that someone with a vested interest (An ST tire owner or prospective owner)
Take the time to read the tire testing criteria as it pertains to this new crop of ST tires. I know it is a hard read, and takes awhile...I did just that many years ago. I am not sure that the "then" testing criteria applies to the new ST tires. It is also possible that some changes have been made, to take the touted improvements and expand the testing to verify the claims. If I were going to spend my hard earned $$$ on ST tires, I would want to educate myself first.
Just what testing do these new ST tires have to pass?
How does that compare to the old ST tires?
And how does that compare to LT tires?

The bottom line is an old saying. "Trust but verify"

If there is no testing to verify the new ST claims... Then the shell game is still being played.

If there is stringent testing along the lines of the LT tire tests.. Then we are talking about some REAL substantial improvements.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
On my last trailer, one of the Maxxis tires I had on it, had the steel belts break. Luckily, I had to stop to make an emergency run to the trailer's restroom. I stopped on a white dusty parking lot. I just happened to notice the tire looked odd.The side of the tread was sculpted out, while the middle was bulging. About 3/4 of the tire looked fine. If I had pulled the trailer one quarter turn of the tire more forward, I would not have noticed it, and it would have come loose while driving at speed on US highway I was on.

Even Maxxis aren't immune from self destruction.

RinconVTR wrote:
Here's some data on weight I rarely see anyone compare. I think its fair to say lightweight ST's are garbage, while the new Endurance weighs in the middle but has the highest of all speed rating.

For equal comparison, all weights are for size 205/75 R15

Most common weight = 23 lbs
Westlake (75mph rating) = 23 lbs
Good Year Marathons = 23 lbs
Good Year Endurance (87mph rating) = 29 lbs
Carlisle HD (81mph rating) 42 lbs
Maxis = 43 lbs
Powerking = 43 lbs

Where did you find that the Carlisle HD's weight 42lbs? I'm finding 28-30lbs online.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:

So, needing to go with another ST tire, I went with the highly recommended Sailun tire, which in my size is rated to 4060lbs at 110psi. The new GY Endurance might also be a good choice.

Sailuns are in a different league from the Endurance and all ST tires, like the G614's and Ribs. But they are a great cost effective option if they come in your size, but in most cases they do not. It's marketed and produced as a commercial truck tire.

Try to find failure reports on Sailuns and Carlisle (RH and HD series). Not easy...

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back to the OP's original statement, "If I were an ST tire fan, I would want to know the truth." Without getting into the merits of using LT v. ST tires, I believe the truth is elusive as there's no real analysis or body of evidence we consumers can use to make good buying decisions.

WRT to the great China "bomb" discussion, all we have is anecdotal evidence revealing many have experienced catastrophic failures. Of course, not all RV'ers post their experiences, so the data is severely lacking. Still, the available anecdotal evidence has value, enough IMHO, to help me understand I needed to rid myself of the original E-rated (3460lb) tires that came with my Montana and go with G-rated. I didn't search hard, but I did not find any LT tire in my size that could carry 3500lbs each for a 7000lb axle.

So, needing to go with another ST tire, I went with the highly recommended Sailun tire, which in my size is rated to 4060lbs at 110psi. The new GY Endurance might also be a good choice. However, only time will tell if both tires are successful as both are new to the market. Recall the highly recommended Maxxis that did not always meet expectations. Guess I'll be one of the unpaid testers.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
One thing I've always wondered about pull behind's and 5ers is, do any of you people ever weight your units to determine what you can safely load (within the tire's rating), or do you just 'take the house with you? and book down the road to tire failure?

Seems to me that a large percentage of you are overloading the units and compromising the tires from the get go.

I own and pull four different trailers currently. All of them have gone over the CAT scales several times, and occasionally go over the scales again if there is a change in loading.

The scales is also where I verify/fine my WD hitch on the bumper pull trailers.

Others will disagree, but personally I will not buy a trailer that is close in weight to it's axle and tire ratings. I prefer plenty of reserve.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
Westcoasting wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
westend wrote:
In my area, a 15" LT truck tire of mediocre quality is about 20% more than a name brand ST trailer tire.
I chose to put Carlisle RH load range D's on my old rig. I tend to drive slow and believe the Carlisle's are a good fit for what and how I pull. IIRC, they are speed rated to around 80 mph. I will never see that speed with my trailer.

A good 15" choice in LT is the good year wrangler HT. It is currently priced about $20 more than the new GY Endurance in a similar size from TireRack.

Thats the tire i have on currently, it is a very good tire. After a nightmare 2 years of 4 different brands of tires blowouts i got smart and bought these. No more problems! Never again an St tire for me!

it the wrangler had a high enough load index, it might work. In 15" the highest load index i could find was about 1900 lbs. not much good when I have over 4400lbs on each 5200lb axle. that's why I end up needing ST tires. or go to 16 inch tires.

Yes it is good for my unit but the weight works. I still plan on going to a 16 once these wear down a bit more, not for a different tire but for an axle flip for more ground clearance as i do a lot of off road camping.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
westend wrote:
In my area, a 15" LT truck tire of mediocre quality is about 20% more than a name brand ST trailer tire.
I chose to put Carlisle RH load range D's on my old rig. I tend to drive slow and believe the Carlisle's are a good fit for what and how I pull. IIRC, they are speed rated to around 80 mph. I will never see that speed with my trailer.

A good 15" choice in LT is the good year wrangler HT. It is currently priced about $20 more than the new GY Endurance in a similar size from TireRack.

Thats the tire i have on currently, it is a very good tire. After a nightmare 2 years of 4 different brands of tires blowouts i got smart and bought these. No more problems! Never again an St tire for me!

it the wrangler had a high enough load index, it might work. In 15" the highest load index i could find was about 1900 lbs. not much good when I have over 4400lbs on each 5200lb axle. that's why I end up needing ST tires. or go to 16 inch tires.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing I've always wondered about pull behind's and 5ers is, do any of you people ever weight your units to determine what you can safely load (within the tire's rating), or do you just 'take the house with you? and book down the road to tire failure?

Seems to me that a large percentage of you are overloading the units and compromising the tires from the get go.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB