cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgate pad to carry bikes

bikeandcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, I am thinking of using a tailgate pad to transport bikes while towing my TT. I am interested in hearing from anyone that has had first hand experience doing this. Not interested in opinions, conjecture, etc. Pads generally work great but I am not so sure about the clearance at the front of the TT during sharp turns. I plan to get out a measuring tape and make my own determination but you're first hand experience ( good or bad) would be helpful. Pix would be great too. Thanks.
22 REPLIES 22

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
OK. I seen these in use while on vacation. my only question is why? Why have the bikes hanging out the back of the truck?!

Why not?

dodge guy wrote:
seems like a solution looking for a problem! If you have so much stuff in the bed of the truck then you are trying to bring too much. not only that but I believe you could get a ticket for improper and/or unsecured load.

Seems like you're looking to invent a problem without having any real understanding of the product.

dodge guy wrote:
I would never use one. too many better ideas/options!

Better is very subjective. How about almost all other consumer product solutions cost more and in some cases, a lot more. I see bikes carried this way almost everyday out where I live and never see any unsafe conditions because of them. Not sure why you would even mention about the possibility of getting a ticket for an unsecured load? :h

However one of these tailgate pads would not work for my truck as it would block my backup camera.
I love me some land yachting

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK. I seen these in use while on vacation. my only question is why? Why have the bikes hanging out the back of the truck? seems like a solution looking for a problem! If you have so much stuff in the bed of the truck then you are trying to bring too much. not only that but I believe you could get a ticket for improper and/or unsecured load.

I would never use one. too many better ideas/options!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Yakima BeddyJo 2 Bike Rack

I install it on the side of the bed and have plenty of room left for my chairs, waste water tote, cooler, and other stuff. There's room for my son's bike in between the 2 bikes on the rack. Puts the bikes in the bed without having to hang the front wheels over the tailgate.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Well something new to add to my knowledge of bike hauling.

If the objective is to keep from scratching the tailgate it should work, if you can keep the bikes firmly mounted.

I have a truck cap so I could not close the cap hatch.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:

Ah. Now I know what the fuss is about. I have a 3 panel locking tonneau cover...so I 'don't have an opinion except to say NOPE.

So do I. That's why I came up with what I posted in a photo earlier in the thread. I didn't want to lay the bikes down, not to mention I carry a lot of other stuff besides the bikes.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:

Actually the pads appear that they would do a reasonable job of protecting the truck. My concern is how much the bikes would bounce around on a longer trip. I've never seen anyone actually use one of these on the freeway.
Yakima tailgate pad.

Ah. Now I know what the fuss is about. I have a 3 panel locking tonneau cover...so I 'don't have an opinion except to say NOPE.

I put moving blankets down on the floor of my TT and throw my bike in there.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

Please post a tailgate bike mount.

Good luck

I posted a link to one earlier.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Google and typed in: tailgate pad photos

Not something that I would use because of a chance of damage.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Okay back to the OPs topic, I am at a loss to understand what a "tailgate pad" is?

I have heard of many bike racks but they have little to do with the tail gate.

I opted for a front hitch because I wanted to keep an eye on the bikes and they can ride higher off the ground.

Please post a tailgate bike mount.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bikeandcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Shal36 wrote:
I have a Yakima bike pad for my tailgate. It works well. No, the bikes do not bounce around. When I do a very tight turn the bikes come close to contacting the trailer, but I've never had any part of the bikes touch the trailer.

It's a pretty good solution. I do plan to put a bike rack on the back of my trailer, though, as it's a little bit of a pain to lift the bikes into the back of the truck and get them stacked together. I have a 3/4 ton truck, so the top of the tailgate is pretty high.

Sorry, I don't have any pics.

Thanks for this.

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yakima bike pad for my tailgate. It works well. No, the bikes do not bounce around. When I do a very tight turn the bikes come close to contacting the trailer, but I've never had any part of the bikes touch the trailer.

It's a pretty good solution. I do plan to put a bike rack on the back of my trailer, though, as it's a little bit of a pain to lift the bikes into the back of the truck and get them stacked together. I have a 3/4 ton truck, so the top of the tailgate is pretty high.

Sorry, I don't have any pics.

bikeandcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input re: blankets and experiences with those . I did consider this as well but I thought I might spend a few bucks and not have to worry about the thing flying away on me.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't bought a specific pad, but I've used a moving blanket to achieve the same goal (but cheaper). It worked fine, the bumper will likely stick out further than your handles will. I wasn't happy with the bikes preventing me from using a tonneau cover, so I scrapped that idea. I have them mounted on top of my hard tonneau cover now.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
OP,

The tailgate pads are quite popular out here in CO and I see them a lot. I have also seen a number of the tailgate pads being used with a tow behind TT, in fact saw one just yesterday traveling down I70. I do not have one myself so yes, I'm violating your original post request. 😉

Why don't you just lay a very thick blanket or two over your tailgate and set two bikes into the "tailgate" position to the outmost corners of the tailgate. Hook up your TT and in a very large and open parking lot, make some calculated tight turns with someone keeping watch. That way you will know your specific setup and if it will work for you or not before spending the money on a tailgate pad.
I love me some land yachting