cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal Package with Jayco

CountryKim
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at purchasing a Jayco Jay Flight 2014 26BH. Our local dealer has one coming in with the colours and options we want except for the thermal package. We thought that the thermal pkg might provide added protection to the underside of the floor and tanks. The trailers without the pkg have the black Darco on the underside with the tanks on top. To custom order with the thermal pkg the trailer will be here in 6 wks.

Is the thermal package worth it? We do have our current hybrid to use in the mean time if we do decide to order. We live in Ontario Canada and typically camp from May to our thanksgiving (mid Oct). We live in the country and store our trailer on the property so we are a bit worried that the enclosed underbelly will be an excellent place for our field mice to hide and we will not know. Also worried about down the road repairs, not noticing leaks or problems under the under belly etc. We hope to keep this trailer for a long time as our current hybrid is only 2 yrs old and has warranty floor issues which is why we are thinking of getting the 26BH.

I cut this from the Jayco page which describes the thermal pkg.
*Insulated, heated and enclosed underbelly and 2-sided reflective foil insulation in main roof and slideout roof* The 26BH doesn't have a slide.

Thanks for your help.
15 REPLIES 15

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
CountryKim wrote:
I cut this from the Jayco page which describes the thermal pkg.
*Insulated, heated and enclosed underbelly and 2-sided reflective foil insulation in main roof and slideout roof* The 26BH doesn't have a slide.

Thanks for your help.

Only you can decide if the package is worth the wait and expense.

The questions you should ask :

How exactly, is it insulated?
How exactly, is it heated?
What are the differences in "R" value, between trailers with and without the package?

RV manufacturers use terms such as "Polar Package", "Thermal Package", "Heated Tanks", etc, quite loosely.

"Heated Tanks", for example.

Some enclose the underbelly, assuming heat radiating through the floor, will warm the holding tanks.

Some enclose the underbelly and wrap the tanks with insulation.

Some enclose the underbelly, wrap the tanks, and run a heat duct near the tanks.

Some enclose the underbelly, wrap the tanks, run a heat duct nearby, and install a vent to blow warmed air on the tanks.

Some enclose the underbelly, install electric heat pads on the tanks, wrap the tanks, and run heat ducts nearby.

All of them say their heated tanks are part of some type of cold weather package. It's all marketing.

I had a TT that advertised having all the goodies for tank heating and cold weather use. I used it in cold weather and tank heaters worked as advertised, but, they hadn't done anything to protect the dump valve. All the poo poo was warm, but, I couldn't get rid of it.

As for rodent proofing, there is a product called Stuf-It. It is a copper mesh (like steel wool) that doesn't rust out. You crawl under the TT and stuff it in all the openings where those critters could get in. I've also seen a spray foam product that says it will keep them out. Do a goggle search for rodent proof foam. Here is one that comes up.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)