cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full tank of Propane=How many days of usage?

AuntEthel
Explorer
Explorer
Can you tell me how many days you can get out of a full tank of propane? Our camper is a 17C Jayco HTT and there are 3 of us camping. We used the propane for about 6 days over spring break, only at night and mainly to get the chill out. We are headed to Grand Haven State Park which is right on Lake Michigan and the forcast is calling for some cold nights ahead. Thanks in advance and safe travels this holiday weekend.
Gallivanting with Aunt Ethel
20 REPLIES 20

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most LP bottle/tank swaps only come with 15 lbs of fuel. The tank will hold 20 lbs.

Stamped on the handle will be T.W. and a number. This is the tare weight. The most accurate way to tell how much is left is weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight.

Don't hook 2 or more tanks together with both valves open. The pressure will equalize and you will have 2 tanks, both less than full. The best thing to do is run one tank empty and then close its valve. Now open the valve on the other tank. Of course you will have to re-light the pilot on the furnace, refrigerator, and water heater.

Most folks use a small portable electric heater instead of their furnace. Makes the gas last longer and is usually quieter. Probably not adequate for really cold weather.

Handyman_Xenabl
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our HTT last March (2012) we had a full 30lb propane bottle.

We camped several times last summer, including a couple of time right after taking ownership, and it was cold so we ran the furnace quite a bit.

DH was concerned that we might run out of propane if it got cold so decided to make sure the bottle was full. It took one gallon out of the 7 gallon capacity.

We were very pleasantly surprised our running the furnace for a couple of nights, plus cooking mostly breakfasts on the outside gas cooker didn't use more gas las summer.

This year to shake out the cobwebs, we took the HTT to a nearby campground for a weekend in early April. The weekend was COLD - got down to 27 F one night and we had the furnace on both nights, all night, so presuming we'll have plenty for the rest of the year.

Btw - when we had our 'new purchaser' orientation at the RV dealer, we were told that for the two of us, the gas should last at least one season, probably two.

Cheers,
xena

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are camping at electric hookup sites using the pedestal 20AMP service receptacle just for the Electric heater. I run an extension cord into my trailer for this thru the pass thru storage area.

I am NOT a fan of any electric heater that has visible flame-red hot core- built-in fan etc. With kids and animals around this could be disastrous.

Heat is heat... We feel very safe using the radiator looking type OIL-FILLED electric heaters and usually only set them for #3 on their setting scale. I would NEVER turn one all the way up as the electric cord will most likely get hot on you.

The OIL-FILLED heater makes only a click - no other noise - no burnt smell- safe to touch.. Safe to leave unattended...

We love the small low profile size - perfect for sitting one of those O2COOL AC/DC 10-inch fan behind one if you want to move the heated air around alittle better. I use AMAZON for almost all my purchases - free shipping and usually two day service for me with close by shipping locations.

NOTE: Its always better to use the camp ground electric over your propane gas when you can. Makes sense to me...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Yak
Explorer
Explorer
2 days for me but....

JSGlow
Explorer
Explorer
Concur with some of the above posts. In cool weather access to electricity is the key either via shore or a genset. We love the dual tank setup as I've never worried about propane. I always know I have 1+ tanks at my disposal. Agree with electric heat as a 'base' if power is available.
JSGlow
John, Stacey, Sarah, and Jack
2002 Ford Explorer (EB) 4.6L V-8, 3.73
2004 Antigua 215sso
1999 Starcraft Starfire 160DC

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
It can be a pain but if you want to know how much you use each night for future reference, weigh the bottle. Obviously a full one would weigh 2o punds plus the empty wieght of the bottle, stamped somewhere on the flange. Weigh the container one day, use it one cold night, weigh it again and viola your use per night.
Tuba Pete

Explorer
Explorer
last weekend we did 3 nights of in the low 30's. 20lbs MT and moved on to the second one! Like prev posted keep an eye on your battery that's where you will have the problem!

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Unanswerable question. It's akin to "I got a full tank of gasoline, how far can I go?"

This pretty much sums it up!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:

if you're dry camping or boondocking, your battery will die before you even use 25% of your propane.

This ^

The fan on your furnace will eat up battery power quicker than you realize.

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
The furnace burns one (1) pound of propane per hour of flame time and is the major user of gas. Avoid furnace use if possible as you only get 20 hours of heat out of a propane cylinder.

If camping without electric, though, propane is the least of your worries as the furnace will suck the lil' Group 24 battery dry in about 12 hours of flame time. 🙂

Dual tanks with an automatic changeover valve are standard equipment on hybrids the past 8 or 10 years. A second tank is inexpensive.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
as was said, it's almost impossible to say. if you use the furnace a lot, then it goes quicker. if you don't, then it lasts longer.

we usually get through a season of camping on one 20lbs. tank.
but we don't use the furnace a lot.

if you're dry camping or boondocking, your battery will die before you even use 25% of your propane.
will you have hookups? if so, take a electric ceramic heater, like most of us do, to supplement the propane furnace. that way you'll use much less propane.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
They do make tanks with a gauge on 'em. And there are gauges you can add later. All provide a rough estimate, but close enough for gub'mint purposes. A spare tank is a good idea, but do NOT store it inside the camper or the tow vehicle while there are people inside. Safety thing.

And I'll second the bit a out not doing those trade things. HUGE rip off. Overpriced and only half full.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
AuntEthel wrote:
@PapPappy, we picked up our camper from the dealership and hit the road for a week. So, I'm assuming it was a full 20# tank.

You shouldn't assume that.

Yes, get a spare bottle, have it filled and then compare its weight to the current bottle so you know how much you have. When you need more propane, don't do one of those propane bottle swaps at Home Depot, Lowes, Fred Meyers, ets. They make their profit by not filling them completley.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
I'm camped in Holland (15 miles south of Grand Haven) and it will be cold tonight with predicted temps in low 30's. High Friday about 56-Sat 65 and Sun 70. Low 40's rest of weekend at night. Do you have a electric heater to supplement the furnace? I never owned a hybrid but I'm asuming that it will not retain heat real well. I bet you get the weekend out of 1 tank if you bring along a electric heater to supplement. Also depends on how much you layer clothing and blankets at night and if you heat to 64 or 84. A second tank as a back up would be good so you have heat just in case. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3