cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thetford toilet sewer smell

nextlevel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Puma trailer. I am dealing with sewer smell coming from behind the toilet. Does this mean I have a bad toilet to floor seal? I have done everything I know to do for the black water tank but even after I clean the tank, one week later I start getting this smell.
23 REPLIES 23

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Where does you vent run? Is it possible the vent pipe isn't properly sealed to the tank?

Behind the toilet is a strange source.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Check the vent going through the roof

nextlevel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. Here is what I have done. I have checked all of the vents including the one under the vanity sink.
I have thoroughly cleaned the tank with a wand.
I live in my trailer so I am connected to a septic tank. I keep the grey water tank valves open but close the black water tank valve. I understand that it is good to keep water in that tank so it will not dry out.
I put a tank order product in the toilet everytime after I empty the tank.
Everything is fine for about two weeks and then an order starts coming from behind the toilet. I have pinpointed it there.
I am thinking about changing out the toilet flange seal.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe pull the toilet and inspect, clean, and install a new gasket. Very easy to re & re these toilets. (Do not re-install the gasket if you pull the toilet.)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If your not going to use your rig for a week or so consider buying a septic tank cleaner available at hardware store. Add the cleaner and fill the black water tank to the top - give it at least a week and the cleaner should dissolve all the crud in the tank ... then dump. It's not expensive/easy to do -- just takes some time.
Kevin

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Push the pedal on your toilet and get a toilet brush down inside the neck of the toilet.

More easily accomplished using a tank wand which washes down not only the interior walls of the black water tank but also the toilet throat.

If odours persist and you're convinced it's not a leaking seal you need tank maintenance - try Walex Commando ... I do a couple times each season and have no issues with tank odour. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaned the tank multiple times and it still smells?
Fill it all the way up with water and odor control packet, let it sit and see if it still smells.

Maybe its a small propane leak. I had that once and thought it was sewage.

Im fighting an actual black tank leak myself....yuck.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure the smell is coming from the toilet and not an air admittance vslve under the sink?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion? Push the pedal on your toilet and get a toilet brush down inside the neck of the toilet. The way they are designed, there's a hallow cavity inside there with all kinds of ledges for stuff to stick to when flushing. Give it a good cleaning. It might be something just that simple.

FYI, a couple times a year I add a cup of bleach and clear water in my black tank and go for a drive. Often when returning home on the last day of a trip.

Then at home, I dump the bleach water and rinse the tank once. I have a septic tank, so can dump there with no issue. I have found doing this occasionally keep the tank from smelling, as the bleach water pulverizes the entire tank when on the road.

There are folks that say their tank never smells and they never do anything except dump it. Evidently, you and I must have over-sensitive noses then.

Ever dump your kitchen sink water on the ground and smell what's coming out of there? Pew-wee! I run bleach water through it also every now and then. Because I can dump on my own ground at home, after dumping at the dump station at the camp ground, I'll add a few gallon of water to it and drive home. Once home, I'll dump it, but sometimes that last little bit will drop on the drive-way ... Pew...wee! That stinks worse than the black tank contents ever did! I end up flushing the drive way down with the garden hose to get the stink dissipated.