cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

They stole my 50amp extension cord!

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Where can I get for a good price a 50amp extension cord for our P/T Just went up to Michigan to open up and notice that the power cord was missing,:M they had the nerved to even lock the compartment. It's the type the you have to give a twist to lock in place.
Thank you all.
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
19 REPLIES 19

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:
Where can I get for a good price a 50amp extension cord for our P/T Just went up to Michigan to open up and notice that the power cord was missing,:M they had the nerved to even lock the compartment. It's the type the you have to give a twist to lock in place.
Thank you all.

Welcome to the club; son-in-law's 50a cord was stolen while he was plugged in charging the batteries in front of his house. Had to leave that day on a camping trip and had to find one at a local RV store on the road. No choice in shopping around; I think he paid over $200 for it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had the double receptacle type either.

The main advantage I see is that you could have a ten' cord as well as a long one and often use the 10' only to reduce copper loss and having to deal with the long cable.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
like other say, shop around.

I never had the detachable cable before we bought our "new" '05 Trail Cruiser. Seems like a dumb idea, when hooking up, you have to run around the TT to find wherever you stored the cable, then hook up both ends, then when breaking down, do it all again, both ends and find a storage space. And then there is the theft problem.

The old "pull out of the electrical compartment and hook up one end method" seems a lot more logical and is a lot quicker. Since my outlet is in the vicinity of under my tub, I'm thinking I'll convert to the pull-out-push-in electrical cable.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
We bought the Romex Cable and ends at Home Depot. and assembled at home.
It ain't cheap.
you very seldom draw 50 amps, and when you do it is not for very long. Probably a 8 gauged wire will do the trick

I certainly hope you didn't use Romex. You need cord, probably soow rating is best. 8/4 would be what you need for 50 amp.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Google and shop for best price, maybe free shipping, and if lucky no tax.

Thank you BB TX
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
So where were you when this happened?

This trailer stays up in New Buffalo MI all year around. The Winnebago we use to travel to other states. So we live in Chicago most of the time.
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Probably a good place to look for your stolen cord if it had been secretly marked in a way to be identifiable.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe try CL? There's several for sale here in the $50-100 range.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about that, good 50 amp cords are expensive! Luckily, I was shopping at a CW store for odds and ends and they had a Marinco cord on clearance. I think I paid about 1/3 the price of retail anywhere else. Maybe, a call to some local CW stores will save you a few bucks?

Otherwise, the online sellers are the cheapest. I was considering constructing one, using SOOJ wire and good locking ends but the price of the materials is more than I would pay for an assembled cord.

I've thought about some defensive accessories for my cord because that yellow python just screams, "take me". But, I'm lazy to the point that I will pay for a replacement if burgaled. I'd probably also have the expense of game cameras to see who is messing with my trailer. I park and store it at home but thieves are all over the place. I hope the cord event is the end of your thievery problems!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
We bought the Romex Cable and ends at Home Depot. and assembled at home.

Romex is the type of wire ypou use inside the walls of your home.

Extension cord wire is called "portable cordage". It comes in several "grades". The best for RV cord will be labeled SJOOT. If you are less than 50', 10 gauge is adequate. The male and female ends (14-50P and 14-50R) are expensive.

A good place to buy cord, cut to length, on line is Wire and Cable Your Way.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Google and shop for best price, maybe free shipping, and if lucky no tax.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your stuff being stolen. It really pisses me off when these things happen. Locking things up can help but if a thief really wants something they can usually get it.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel your pain. Our departure was delayed by a couple of hours when I discovered the umbilical cord to the truck had been cut off.:M A trip to Canadian Tire and some rewiring got us going but it was maddening.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon or PPL. I bought a 30โ€™ pigtail cheap enough on EBay.

Druggy scrappers, no doubt.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.