cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about getting a "Couples TT" Help with brand/model

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Wife wants a little more room camping in the Summer than we have in the TC, so thinking about a TT. Just us and 2 terriers. Thinking new.

Needs-Full 80" QB, solid bedroom door(s). Slide(s). Short as possible to camp in tight spots. Been looking online at 23'rs. Want QUALITY. No de-lamination, roof leaks, thing breaking in general.

I have a truck to pull almost anything so don't care about weight, just want a good quality TT around 23', shorter the better. I have been looking online and am overwhelmed by the different brands and models! Just want info from anyone with experience on brands/models, do's and don'ts. Appreciate any knowledge, info or advice.

Here are a couple of models that peaked my interest-

2016 Coachmen 233RBS Freedom Express
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKVQbjQGf_w

2016 Keystone RV Bullet Premier 22RBPR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14Gcc0cZKI

2016 Forest River Vibe Extreme Lite 236RBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N8rhF8uafQ
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73
50 REPLIES 50

wireman
Explorer
Explorer

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this Jayco. Wireman

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2016-jay-feather/23rlsw/

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Coachmen 233rbs, I have had it for almost a year now and have had no problems except bad a/c unit. The only thing I do not like about it is Tv viewing from the dinette. We usually lay in bed to watch tv. Very happy with the trailer. Michael

2Bhamsters
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry that link did not take you to the floor plan I was referring to. It's the 220RBIWE (western) floor plan with the opposing slides and island kitchen.
Total Newbies Joe & Heidi

2Bhamsters
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another that the DW likes because of the extra kitchen space LINK Our biggest obstacle so far is the bathroom vanities. Most have no counter space at all. That's a deal breaker for us. the older trailers seemed to put more thought into bathroom space than the newer ones. Look at a 1995 Holiday Rambler for instance. Well built all aluminum with great spaces (although heavy). Hope this helps.

2Bhamsters
Explorer
Explorer
Area13....We are looking for something close to what you have described. One floor plan we like is the 2015 Trail Runner 24RK. I know it's a foot longer and "stick built", but with the bathroom separating the bedroom from the living area you might get more privacy in the morning.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really like ours. Good amount of storage and comfortable inside when weather is bad. It's been great for the two of us, the dog, and an occasional grandkid.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input so far, appreciate it.

I really like this setup, at 23' it checks a lot of boxes.

80" bed

Solid bedroom doors.(Keeps dogs off the bed too).

2 opposing slides making it big and wide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKVQbjQGf_w

Here's another with outdoor BBQ that is close to home-
http://www.southhillrv.com/2016-coachmen-freedom-express-231rds-new-travel-trailer-wa-i1820705
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
We were very impressed with the Venture RV Sonic SN200VML trailer. It is light, has quality fittings, looks good, has a slide out, a good sized bathroom and shower, and just seems to be a very well made small trailer. If we were to downsize, I think this would be the one. They also make smaller ones.
Barney

I checked out the this link to the Sonic camper, and I agree it looks very nice. The floor plan is similar to our FunFinder 210WBS. I think an important consideration in a small "couples" trailer is the choice between a dinette or a sofa. It's hard to fit both into a short trailer. This sonic and our FunFinder have a sofa but no formal dinette. For us this was a good choice. We spend more time sitting, relaxing, reading, watching TV than we do eating at a table. In our last camper, the dinette was so cramped and uncomfortable we could barely tolerate it even for a short time. Sitting for an extended period was out of the question. The portable table set up by the sofa is a reasonable compromise. Actually we found small folding tables worked better than the large, heavy table that came with the camper.

A short "couples" camper also will probably have a "camper queen" mattress. That's code for a short queen. This may or may not be a deal breaker. We are short enough that this has not been a problem. Some have made an extension to the bed platform to extend the mattress so that might be an option.

As to a bedroom door, I think that will be nearly impossible to find in a small camper. Also consider that if you did have such a door it might make the living area seem that much smaller - perhaps even claustrophobic.

Bottom line is that the pluses/minuses, pros/cons, and compromises on the various floor plans can make your head spin. Our little granddaughter tells her little brother, "you don't always get what you want." I would paraphrase that to say, "with a camper you NEVER get exactly what you want." Just make the best choice you can. Good luck, and happy camping.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will agree with a the large gap on the door for air circulation mine is about 4". With a curtain you could even make a new one that is insulated that would block sound better then the door. I took the stupid sliding door off and put up a insulated curtain panel, blocks light and sound better. What would wake me up faster then light or sound is someone walking around in the trailer.

Another option if your wife likes to sleep in and you get up early take a walk around the campground. There is usually an other early riser sitting outside that would offer a cup of coffee and some conversation.

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
What is so loud about making coffee? I boil water on the stove and use a French press, ahhh and quiet.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were very impressed with the Venture RV Sonic SN200VML trailer. It is light, has quality fittings, looks good, has a slide out, a good sized bathroom and shower, and just seems to be a very well made small trailer. If we were to downsize, I think this would be the one. They also make smaller ones.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if there is a dealer in your area, but I am impressed with the construction of Camplite travel trailers. The 21rbs looks like it would fit your needs. All aluminum framing, no wood to rot, easy to tow.

http://www.livinlite.com/camplite21rbs-overview.php

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoor RV 's Creekside 20FQ is an old Fleetwood Mallard design that has evolved into an excellent couples TT. Being an PNW outfit, you get more value because of less transportation costs. This design is used through out the Northwood(Nash) and Outdoor RV lines.
Adventure before dementia

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend the Bullet line very highly. They start at about 23 ft. I have a 2014 285RLS which is great for 2 with the rear living and 2 big loungers along with 11 ft long deep slide containing sofa and big dinette. We have had 1 year and absolutely ZERO issues! Have seen only positive comments from Bullet owners on this forum! They are also Ultralight so tow well and easier on fuel and TV tranny. Deluxe interiors! Check them out!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch