cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of buying a Non-bunkhouse TT for Family of 4

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone else like the non bunkhouse models with open floor plans for families of four?

Our last was a non bunkhouse no slide and we really enjoyed it.

Looking at a super slide model now like the Puma 26rlss

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
29 REPLIES 29

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
xteacher wrote:
Can't imagine making up the sofa and table everyday with kids. Camping is supposed to be relaxing - not more work. I love the double over double floorplan, along with the couch and table. It's a lot of trailer, but gives the family plenty of space.

X2 I think getting a non bunkhouse model is a huge mistake.
THere are enough camping chores without adding making/creating beds to the equation.
For me a bunkhouse is about more than just sleeping. It gives the kids a dedicated space to call their own. Conversely It also give the adults a space that can be their own as well.
I'm a big fan of bunk house models.while I would enjoy the space and amenities of a non bunkhouse, as long as there are dependent kids in the equation I will have a bunkhouse.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Can't imagine making up the sofa and table everyday with kids. Camping is supposed to be relaxing - not more work. I love the double over double floorplan, along with the couch and table. It's a lot of trailer, but gives the family plenty of space.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
I like the double over double bunks. My kids would hate the narrow beds of the bunk house trailers.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoy our bunk model. It has 2 bunks and we have 3 kids, so the sofa still gets folded. Plenty of interior room.

Pics and floor plan in my sig link.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
My first 2 TT's were non bunkhouse models , hated always making up the dinnette table and sofa into beds. My current TT is a bunkhouse and love the idea of my childen having their own beds.
On a rainy day the kids can be inside and still have fun.
Since caming is a family activity I prefer them to be with the family and not out in a tent.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever tried a bunkhouse? My kids are 11, 9, 5 and I absolutely love the bunkhouse. Can't imagine intentionally buying one without it, but we disliked making and breaking beds. It's so wonderful to just close the door to their room. Ta da! Instantly tidy and quiet! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the double over double is about the only viable option for sleeping them on a bunk. Nearly everyone of the bunkhouses we have looked at are really narrow and short bunks.

The big U shaped dinnetts and the sofa sleepers (residential style pull outs or the air beds) provide a nice sized sleeping area for the boys.

Thanks for the comments!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My trailer has two bunks, not really a bunkhouse. I would not have it any other way.

This not mine but something like this:

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
There are old enough it is tent city. Hehe that is what my parents did with me and my little brother.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Majja13 wrote:
How old are the kids? And the bigger of the questions is will it be a hassle to have them clean up their bed every morning so that you have a breakfast table and a couch back?

Just a couple of questions to ask your self.

They are 13 and 10...both are adult sized (big tall kids)

We had to break the dinette and the couch down on the last TT. It was never a problem. We normally eat outside on the picnic table.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Halmfamily wrote:
We went with a FL for our first fiver and will be ordering a RL in a month and we have two teenagers. Told them if they want privacy to go outside. They can sleep in a tent if they want their own room. Works great for us. Happy camping.

That's what we are thinking too. The living area on most fivers and TT's are so much bigger than most of bunkhouses.

My friend had a Montana Fiver with a huge bunkhouse with 2 slides. When his daughter had friends over they would want to sleep outside in a tent. Bahahahaha

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
How old are the kids? And the bigger of the questions is will it be a hassle to have them clean up their bed every morning so that you have a breakfast table and a couch back?

Just a couple of questions to ask your self.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

magila
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bunkhouse and a family of 4, and am looking at a non-bunkhouse now. The kids do not sleep in the bunks anyway. Would rather have the space.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We went with a FL for our first fiver and will be ordering a RL in a month and we have two teenagers. Told them if they want privacy to go outside. They can sleep in a tent if they want their own room. Works great for us. Happy camping.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy has a 38' RL 5er for his family of 4. I wouldn't choose that route, but they accept the compromises of that floorplan for 4 years now.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)