Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

RWiederhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all on this forum.

I am planning to retire in 2021 and would like to full time in a TT for a couple of years. I have not owned a trailer before, and after some research, I and am considering this unit.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/RnR-RV-Center-Liberty-Lake-737384/listing/2018-Forest-River-Rockwood-8335BSS-123358635

Comments from those of you that have "been there and done that" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

RWiederhorn
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Forget new, buy used as your first ever RV. No reason paying the huge depreciation if you dont know if this will work for you. There are probably a dozen recent threads on this subject. So you might want to search more.

At nearly 50K asking price I would suggest looking at a fifth wheel before deciding. 50K will get you some decent sized fivers the advantage is way more storage, and closet space. Plus better towing.

Great advice.. I'm looking at 5ers as well.. Thanks!

RW

RWiederhorn
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
That's 4 years off

My plan is to try and have the RV paid off before I retire. That's why I'm starting now.

RWiederhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
All good advice....I was looking at trailers when I initially signed up on the forum 4 years ago but ended up in an older Class A for my first one ( I am a newbie) this year. You can get some low mile ones for short $$$ that do the job so don't limit yourself to a type until you do some looking, you have plenty of time.

Just my $.02

Thank you Sir...

RWiederhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:
we bought used and stayed with used units. What everyone said. you need to go out for a month and see what you like and don't like about camping. In the last 24 months we have traveled for 12 months. And we do this in a 18 foot box. But we love the small trailer, easy to pull and park and not so much money. It as all we need.

Thank you for your advice... I think used may be the way to go.

RW

RWiederhorn
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
New vs. used may also depend on whether you are a "handy" person. If you have never owned a trailer but you are handy with tools, you could probably deal with most mechanical problems that arise. Otherwise, maybe think about a new trailer with an extended warranty. Buy from a local dealer with a good reputation.

And a "starter" trailer is a good idea, too -- not only will you learn "how to trailer," but you will also learn what you want and don't want in your next trailer.

And ask lots of questions on this forum! Some of the answers will be good, some will be grumpy. Don't be deterred. Most of us are actually trying to be helpful. 😉

Thank you for the great advice. I'm pretty handy with tools. I like the suggestion to rent several different ones to get a feel for what's best.

RW

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
That's 4 years off

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
we bought used and stayed with used units. What everyone said. you need to go out for a month and see what you like and don't like about camping. In the last 24 months we have traveled for 12 months. And we do this in a 18 foot box. But we love the small trailer, easy to pull and park and not so much money. It as all we need.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice....I was looking at trailers when I initially signed up on the forum 4 years ago but ended up in an older Class A for my first one ( I am a newbie) this year. You can get some low mile ones for short $$$ that do the job so don't limit yourself to a type until you do some looking, you have plenty of time.

Just my $.02
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
That is a nice looking trailer. Are you planning on traveling a lot, or finding one permanent spot to stay at?

If you are thinking of seeing the USA by camper... is your 2004 Suburban up to all that towing? A new truck with a used trailer may not be much more than the cost of that new trailer.

Just more things to think about!

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with starting with a used one, chances are good you will trade for a different one by the time you retire. you will find what you like and don't like- for my DW a residential fridge and separate washer and dryer was important to her. you will figure it out as you go-

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
New vs. used may also depend on whether you are a "handy" person. If you have never owned a trailer but you are handy with tools, you could probably deal with most mechanical problems that arise. Otherwise, maybe think about a new trailer with an extended warranty. Buy from a local dealer with a good reputation.

And a "starter" trailer is a good idea, too -- not only will you learn "how to trailer," but you will also learn what you want and don't want in your next trailer.

And ask lots of questions on this forum! Some of the answers will be good, some will be grumpy. Don't be deterred. Most of us are actually trying to be helpful. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 to go at least 5 years old and spend half or less. You can trade up in 2022 if this is really working. By then you may want a 5th wheel or class C or something else.

RWiederhorn
Explorer
Explorer
To answer rjxjs question:

I own a 2004 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 gas engine, tow package with all the additional coolers for oil, power steering and transmission. It has the heavy duty 4-speed 4L85E automatic transmission, the 4.10 POSITRACTION rear diff. Also has the AutoRide suspension system.

It is rated to tow 12k with a 1500 tongue weight rating.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
2112 has a good point. Rent TTs to see what you need..,what you like. They can be different. You like to tow 35 feet+ be my guest....but if you don’t need 35....
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad