Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time for a diesel?

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I've been thinking about switching from our 5er to a motorhome. I really really like our 5er (Forest River Flagstaff 2020 529RLKS uvw 9531). But really we are more, travel to a campground and hang out there. So now I am thinking of a new tow vehicle . I am wondering if it is time to consider a diesel. We don't camp more than once a month. So we are not going a lot. But we do live in California. If you want to go anywhere in California, you are going up over a hill or mountain. Right now we have a 2015 F350 6.2 srw crew cab 4x4. It gets the job done in the valley/flat but start up an incline! It will get us where we are going but it will take a while. Is there anything bigger in gas than our 350?
52 REPLIES 52

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ford engine comparison

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I like diesels so I’m gonna vote yes … get a diesel. The little bit of money that you save one way vs the other is not going to be significant in my opinion.

Plus you get the benefit of the exhaust brake with diesel

Hmmm, I have heard that when diesels go bad its very expensive. Isn't there a fuel additive that you have to put in diesel?

I can only speak for my self. I'm on my 3rd diesel. I have never used any fuel additives. My last diesel went 300K miles before I traded.
No major issues.
My current diesel has 108K miles.
As far as repairs they are all expensive when they break.

I do think gassers have a slight repair advantage but it's not about price.
While I have not had any problems getting my diesel repaired. There are more gas mechanics and shops than diesel
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I like diesels so I’m gonna vote yes … get a diesel. The little bit of money that you save one way vs the other is not going to be significant in my opinion.

Hmmm, I have heard that when diesels go bad its very expensive. Isn't there a fuel additive that you have to put in diesel?

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
gme3470 wrote:
We also are in CA and tow an 8000lb trailer around all the hills you mentioned. Our truck is a 2022 F350, 7.3l, 10spd, with a 4:30 differential. It is really a lot better than the 6.2l in our previous truck. In fact, we have no problem accelerating up those big hills even after getting slowed in traffic. Mileage around town is about 13 and towing on a level, no wind, freeway it's about 10.2. It really is as capable as one of our earlier diesels

I thought that the 7.3 was not a good engine. What year is it offered on?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

gme3470
Explorer
Explorer
We also are in CA and tow an 8000lb trailer around all the hills you mentioned. Our truck is a 2022 F350, 7.3l, 10spd, with a 4:30 differential. It is really a lot better than the 6.2l in our previous truck. In fact, we have no problem accelerating up those big hills even after getting slowed in traffic. Mileage around town is about 13 and towing on a level, no wind, freeway it's about 10.2. It really is as capable as one of our earlier diesels
2022 F350
Nash 25C

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are asking if Ford has a bigger gas engine, yes they do. The 7.3 would be a good step up, and the 10 speed transmission more capable too. Don't know if you have the 4.30 gears now, but also a good choice, if you went to the 7.3 gas.

Jerry