cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Build Date: How Old is Too Old?

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
I've convinced myself to replace the Maxxis M8008 ST 215/75R14 tires with the Maxxis UE-168 205/R14C tire. My local tire dealer in Northern California can order them from the Maxxis warehouse in Southern California. The warehouse has 7 in stock, all with a build date of 5214, meaning that they were built in the last week of last year. That means that these "new" tires will be nearly a year-old when installed on my single axle trailer.

Year-old tires seem pretty old to me. The Maxxis M8008 tires were only about three months old when installed three years ago.

What do you think? Too old and take a pass on them? Or go ahead with the purchase?

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package
23 REPLIES 23

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Seneca 35GS wrote:
DO NOT PURCHASE! Build date should be within 3 or 4 months of purchase , mount date.

X1, 3 months is max mfg. date I will accept:):)

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
By your own admission you are consious of the tire age putting on new tires at 3 years. This says you will only have these tires 2 years before you will need to repurchase. Does that fit your budget and needs.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Seneca_35GS
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT PURCHASE! Build date should be within 3 or 4 months of purchase , mount date.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
3 - 5 years is within the normal age of an RV tire so I agree to go elsewhere.
I don't like the discount idea because the tires are a year old and no amount of discount is going to change that.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe in that size they have the 3-ply sidewall rating that the M8008 does. Not sure if they are the tire you want on a trailer. Total load rating is fine, but sidewall is important on a trailer.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
See if the will discount them an extra 20% because of age.
If not go elsewhere. There are newer tires out there he should be able to order some with a newer date.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
...whats wrong with your org tires? maxxis a good brand of tire should hold up well.

Nothing wrong with the original tires. I am just really risk aversive when it comes to trailer tire safety. The experts say that a trailer tire ages out in 3 to 5 years. It's been three years and I don't want to wait for something to happen. I would rather be proactive.

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Six months is considered by most to be maximum age to consider new.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
well there already a year old, and they start aging on day one, I,d pass , whats wrong with your org tires? maxxis a good brand of tire should hold up well.