cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire chains needed?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
My 16 Ram has new Open Range tires coupled with 4wd. The NL is not the heaviest, but fully loaded I'm around 12k. If I head over certain passes in the right months I am required to carry chains (over 10k in CA as I recall). I dont think I really need them and would be unlikely to push it if the weather was actually bad. That said, I need to carry something to be legal. Any recommendations on something that would be small storage but effective when installed? Ideally something quicker to install would be better since I dont expect to use them regularly enough to get practice. It hasn't snowed in NW WA yet so prices haven't spiked. Would like to get before they do or find a sale if there is such a thing.

EDIT: tires are 295/70R18 if it matters
72 REPLIES 72

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
yeah, its 1 of those things your taxpayers money pay for.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I was only suggesting that chains are obviously not good for the road. But if you are required to use them, it's one of those things...

Heck, if you have chains on even with snow it can damage the roads. I'm debating the v-bar chains for that reason actually. If I had to use them at my house, the county won't fix the roads since they are private and unplowed. I have never needed them even with deep snow (12" or so last year). Even when I might have considered it, it was only when it started melting to 8+ inches of slush which would have been bad for the road using chains (half bare, half slush ruts).

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Jennifer Koper wrote:
Tire chains for cars should only be used if there is a layer of snow or ice on the road. By chains on bare roadway can cause considerable harm to both your tires and the road itself.
OK tell that to the CHP that has a checkpoint 3 miles early because that is where the turnout space is.

Have you been over I80 near truckee lately? Nice grooves already and the cement was just replaced a few years ago.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bkenobi wrote:
Jennifer Koper wrote:
Tire chains for cars should only be used if there is a layer of snow or ice on the road. By chains on bare roadway can cause considerable harm to both your tires and the road itself.

I assumed that goes without saying. .

It does go with saying, as Caltrans in CA will make you driving on chains for at least 3 miles on bare concrete before you reach snow.
On Truckee grade on I-80, when going up you can let your steering wheel go as years of Caltrans practice made deep road crowns and the vehicle will follow "channels" with no action from driver side.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Jennifer Koper wrote:

I assumed that goes without saying. The same is true of studded tires (bad for the road) which is why they must be removed by April 1 (at least in WA). Cables are not as bad for the road compared to trye chains, but traction is the reason they exist, so it's just one of those things that requires the user to use it correctly.

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I dont see why chains would be a problem. I have clearance all around since the tires aren't that much bigger than stock. I know there is some potential for rubbing at full lock, but I have not seen that and not sure why it would preclude use of chains.

JW2
Explorer
Explorer
Bkenobi:

Your edit states “tires are 295/70R18”. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am assuming you have a SRW truck, and it probably came with LT275/70R18 tires. Just curious, will you be able to use tire chains using these larger 295/70R18 tires without any clearance issues?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My favorite wheels have good grip on snow with no chains at all.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
double post
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I want a set of these for my truck. :B
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
specta wrote:
I wont go there because its a shithole.

Haha, classic!
Spectra, I got a cold beer here for ya if you're ever up this away...

If I ever get up your way i'll take you up on the beer. :B
Kenny

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
And Jayco just proved my point. Guys like him, Spectra and me sometimes "need" chains, but it ain't on paved roads, it's where, if you don't know wtf you're doing you'll either die or spend a while waiting for someone to find you and or get your butt out of a sling.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
specta wrote:
I wont go there because its a shithole.

Haha, classic!
Spectra, I got a cold beer here for ya if you're ever up this away...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I checked Caltrans docs and see nothing stating what is/isn't legal for chains. It basically says if the mfg says it's a traction device you're set. That said, some are more effective than others. I think I'm just going to get some v-bar style knowing they will chew up the road. If it's bad enough that 4wd doesn't work with good tires, I'll need some real grip.

The link on amazon above looks like square link chains. Anyone see v-bar in 295/70r18? I'm looking on craigslist and finding a ton of chains for cheap, but nothing that big so far.