cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure

Saskatchewan
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that one of my tires was low on our single axle Gulfstream Visa TT. I check the sticker on the TT which says it should have ST205/75D 14C tires. It also states cold tire pressure should be 50 psi. I then check the tire to see that it is a Freestar M-108- Radial S/T, ST205/75 R14. It also has on the tire 50 psi. Two questions. I am no tire expert so can someone please tell me if the tire I have on the TT is similar to the one it recommends on the sticker? Second question, even though the tire states its max psi as 50 and that is what the sticker recommends, then I fill it to 50 psi?

Thank you!
Remember, you belong to nature, not it to you.
7 REPLIES 7

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The tire pressure recommended by the TT maker is the value needed to carry the load. Often it is also the max tire pressure.

Depending on the load, my D rated tires can be varies between 55 and 65 psi. Many folks just run the max pressure and be done with it.

Biased, radial and diagonal plied tires have all been around for decades. TT makers choose the type that will do the job for the TTs intended use. Hence many folk choose to upgrade their tires.

Of course the majority of the TTs and 5ver have their original tires, when their owners trade them in.

Safe travels
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
RVIA has come out with a strong recommendation for RV trailer manufacturerโ€™s to quit using bias ply tires on trailers fitted with 13โ€ tires or larger. Of course thatโ€™s not binding on the trailer manufacturers unless the DOT also disallows their use. However, itโ€™s a strong recommendation from a leader in the RV trailer industry.

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Yes, radial tires are better than bias for your TT. You do need to run the same, either all radial, or all bias. Yes, fill the tires to max pressure, when cold, not after traveling. Check the low tire often. If only one is low, there is likely a reason. A low tire heats up quickly, and will blow out at some point.

Jerry

Jerry is making a good point as I have found as much as 10 pound increase on just my truck tires depending on road temp conditions. Tire manufactures already factor this in so fill cold and to 50 as the tire data says. I always check my TT, boat trailer, and truck tire pressures just before a trip. Never had a blow-out or uneven wear.

Jerry (another Jerry)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, radial tires are better than bias for your TT. You do need to run the same, either all radial, or all bias. Yes, fill the tires to max pressure, when cold, not after traveling. Check the low tire often. If only one is low, there is likely a reason. A low tire heats up quickly, and will blow out at some point.

Jerry

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Check and adjust cold. Why did it go low? Have you looked it over for something stuck in it or a rim leak before you travel on it? If sitting a long time they may need air but a big difference in just one could be something to check out.

Saskatchewan
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
The D means its a bias ply tire not a radial. You are much better off with the radial. Both type trailer tires should be inflated to max pressure.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the quick reply!
Remember, you belong to nature, not it to you.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
The D means its a bias ply tire not a radial. You are much better off with the radial. Both type trailer tires should be inflated to max pressure.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand