cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Rambler Introduction

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, my wife and i just purchased this holiday rambler aluma lite. It is in need of some work but we got it cheap with repairs in mind. I'm sure i'll be following up with loads of questions but searching what i can first. It doesn't have a title but was purchased from a family friend who had it for a long time. Unfortunetly he couldn't even remember what year it is so i gotta do some digging for the vun on it.

(Trying to figure out how to post a pic)
34 REPLIES 34

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer
Well it ain't perfect but ceiling is up, needs small spots touched up. Floor at the door is fixed. Got new tires going on tomorrow. Already got our sites booked for mothers day weekend and memorial weekend.

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer
Finally finished the ceiling, well 95% complete, just need to fill some cracks where i lack in the carpenter genes. Finished getting it fully cleaned out and clean. My wife is almost done with the cushion covers.

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer
This is how the roof looked before.

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got the roof sealed and coated. We used alumaseal, not sure how people like it but it sounded like it'd work. It ain't pretty but its a huge improvement. I tried to keep the brush strokes long on the front and back but on top pretty much just caked it on over the old peeling sealant, and i did scrape off anything loose i could.

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer
Thank yall, and good tip on checking the bearings. We will be getting new tires, i think walmart had wheel and tire packages pretty cheap.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to clean and inspect and repack/replace the wheel bearings. If needing new ones, go to NAPA or a bearings and drives store, they will have quality stuff. NAPA has trailer bearing kits using SKF bearings. Also plan on getting some new tires if you haven't already.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Looking good! You're making great progress on this project. Keep up the good work! 🙂

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the ceiling so far, yesterday i caulked up some spots on the roof where it was patched and their sealant had came off. Supposed to be nice all weekend so hoping to get the roof fully re-sealed with some alumaseal.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are those lower bent up panels on the outside even for ? Are they maybe just cosmetic ? They seem to be really thin.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Your rig looks like a venerable project. HR trailers were certainly considered in the upper crust category in the day. I would say that an HR would be worth the effort to repair and up date. I've always thought a project like that would be fun. As I get older though, I see it as a less likely possibility! I just want to travel and not work so much!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Bigreed91 wrote:
Thanks, i havent found the breaker panel yet but i haven't dug too deep for it. I forgot the breakaway brake needs its own 12v source.
If you have a typical converter/breaker panel it may be installed in a space below the fridge, in a wall panel along an outer wall, some were even mounted beneath the bed. It should have only a few electrical 120V circuits. It may have a main breaker, a circuit for lights and receptacles, and a circuit for the converter/refridgerator or any combination to supply the needed devices. There will also be a 12V load center with a small fuse panel.
My '72 trailer was very primitive but as accessory items became available, the load centers improved and gained size. IIRC, you said this was an '81. By then, converters for battery charging and load centers approached what is still used today. Holiday always built quality in so you should have no worries that the elctrical installation wasn't done right. Your efforts there would be more to restore what was present than to improve on it, although some things should be considered. If you add a 120V fridge or an electric/fuel water heater, power will be needed.

I'd say the old Holiday cleaned up real good. With a little TLC and some sealant attention, you'll have a nice, servicable, camp wagon. IME, folks don't give these older trailers their due. Materials back then were cheaper and, certainly, Holiday wasn't afraid of using them to the best design. Curious: is the axle spring-hung on that or do you have torsion axles?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
that wire in the ceiling looks pretty big, I wonder if it was pre-wired for AC. My trailer has wires to all 3 roof vents even though only 2 have fans, so I could easily add a 3rd fan if I wanted. but those wires are a lighter gauge and 12 volt.

Bigreed91
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, i havent found the breaker panel yet but i haven't dug too deep for it. I forgot the breakaway brake needs its own 12v source.