cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tire question

sonofgun
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie question so please be patient. Recently I purchased my first slide in camper, my Mrs wants to give it a go ? [I am a hotel type guy, but what he heck]We got an older (1988) northstar pop up for my tundra. I am going to install sway bars to tighten up the suspension a bit. My plan was to do a few short trips to get a feel and then maybe take it from there. It has been suggested to me that I should also look at a different type of tire, maybe something with a stiffer side wall. Currently I am running a Michelin P275/65 R18. They have a load rating of 2600 lbs
The camper should run about 1400 dry [I think]and I will be towing a quad trailer with about a 250 lb tongue weight

Question is, should I look at a higher load tire,
and if so can I just purchase two for the rear

thanks / Bobh
20 REPLIES 20

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
My suggestion is to ignore the "E" rating (load rating), and go by the load capacity. You can have an "E" rated tire in different tire sizes, and each will have a different load capacity, as I understand. The load capacity is on the tire, regardless of the tire size, the load capacity is the load capacity.

Wayne

E is the load rating, even if a LRD and LRE are rated for 3195lbs the LRE is a tougher tire and will almost always hold more air. More air means cooler rubber, more stability, and better war.

Load capacity is indeed important, but it's not too common for a LRD to have the same capacity as a LRE of the same size. It does happen, but not the norm.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My suggestion is to ignore the "E" rating (load rating), and go by the load capacity. You can have an "E" rated tire in different tire sizes, and each will have a different load capacity, as I understand. The load capacity is on the tire, regardless of the tire size, the load capacity is the load capacity.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
ah64id wrote:
I wouldn't load up a P rated tire with a slide-in, P is for passenger car.

Get a LT tire (Light Truck) and go from there. A LRD or LRE will be much better, and safer, and should only have a minimal effect on your empty ride.

Agreed...don't cheap out on tires...get the best E range you can fit.

Check the wheel ratings too...

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't load up a P rated tire with a slide-in, P is for passenger car.

Get a LT tire (Light Truck) and go from there. A LRD or LRE will be much better, and safer, and should only have a minimal effect on your empty ride.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the tires are carrying close to their maximum. My suggestion is to load up, and have each axle weighed at with scale. You will then know for sure what load capacity tire you need, on the front and rear axle.

In my experience, a tire running in super hot climates is more subject to fail ahan colder climates. I have ran with bigger tires in the rear, but not on a 4x4 vehicle. I might also point out, a lower load capacity tire typically will have more sway than a tire with the stiffer sidewall.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
sonofgun wrote:
Newbie question so please be patient. Recently I purchased my first slide in camper, my Mrs wants to give it a go ? [I am a hotel type guy, but what he heck]We got an older (1988) northstar pop up for my tundra. I am going to install sway bars to tighten up the suspension a bit. My plan was to do a few short trips to get a feel and then maybe take it from there. It has been suggested to me that I should also look at a different type of tire, maybe something with a stiffer side wall. Currently I am running a Michelin P275/65 R18. They have a load rating of 2600 lbs
The camper should run about 1400 dry [I think]and I will be towing a quad trailer with about a 250 lb tongue weight

Question is, should I look at a higher load tire,
and if so can I just purchase two for the rear

thanks / Bobh

Welcome to the forum!

I would look at an LT type tire. Yes, you can go with the LT type on the back and P type on the front. I am just one of those people that have the same tire on all 4 corners for rotation purposes. But, back in the day on 2WD trucks, I ran mud grips on the back and street tread on the fronts. If your truck is 4WD, make sure all four tires are the same O.D. If you encounter handling issues, go with LT type all around.