cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires - When to change

rcp123
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Jayco 314 BDS that still has the original tires.

We do seasonal, but also haul about 3-4 times per summer.

Since we have got it, we have put about 15,000 km ( 10,000 miles) on the tires.

They seem to be in good shape with no cracking, good tread, etc

When should I be looking to replace?

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan & Jessica
2 Kids
25 REPLIES 25

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Industry recommendation is seven years for ST tires and ten years for MH tires.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
bailer6334 wrote:
I was told by a travel trailer mfg ST tires should be changed out at 10,000 miles or 3-5 years max even if they look good.

Bad advice.

10K miles won't even make detectable tread wear on a lot of heavy duty truck tires.

I think the "standard" advice it 5-6 years.....or when the tread starts to look low.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I hate changing blow outs on the freeway. done it twice and will spend good money not to do it again. listen to the forum. change them

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Discount tire states that ST tires have lost IIRC 33% of their strength at 3 years. And that they should be replaced at 3 years no matter how good they look.

LT tires will last longer. I have read up to 10 years. I replace mine at 5 years just to be safe.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
tires are good for 5 to 10years. IF you take care of them. cover when not in use, and a wipe down with a tire product will extend there life. on the side wall is a date code, your tires could be much older than your rv.

Tires are manufactured to withstand the UV so not sure how much extra life covering will get you. Most trailer tires that were maintained well will look good at 8 or even 10 years..... Doesn't mean they will hold up when they get heated up for any amount of time. Think it has so much to do with how you took care of them, mainly air pressure correct all the time. I guess it also depends on how much of a risk taker you are?? Mine are off at 5 to 6 years including the spare.

Totally agree! There is no guarantee that "good for 5 to 10" years will with stand up to actual road driving conditions and stress after 5 to 6 years. Personally I put new tires on every 5 yrs. no matter what they look like. A tire that blows or comes apart can do some serious damage to your rv and cost you some serious money. IMHO:)
Running tires after 5 to 6 years is like being at the **** table at Las Vegas after you have rolled the dice 6 times without ****ping out!!!! The odds are against you!!

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by a travel trailer mfg ST tires should be changed out at 10,000 miles or 3-5 years max even if they look good.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
tires are good for 5 to 10years. IF you take care of them. cover when not in use, and a wipe down with a tire product will extend there life. on the side wall is a date code, your tires could be much older than your rv.

Tires are manufactured to withstand the UV so not sure how much extra life covering will get you. Most trailer tires that were maintained well will look good at 8 or even 10 years..... Doesn't mean they will hold up when they get heated up for any amount of time. Think it has so much to do with how you took care of them, mainly air pressure correct all the time. I guess it also depends on how much of a risk taker you are?? Mine are off at 5 to 6 years including the spare.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If you’re asking about ST tires I’d say it’s an owners call after 3 years.

Well known brands will say 3-5 years and never longer than 5 years.

Check your tire’s warranty. Most will be time limited. I’d not go beyond that limit unless the trailer is in storage. Then change them before the next trip.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with 5 to 6 years covered or not. If u keep the air up and speeds down and only short trips might get another year out of them.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
do you cover them when not rolling down the highway?
If not then the are "drying" out and reaching the end of useful life
Traveling with my best friend my wife!