cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires

huskym1025
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of replacing my tires on my 25' TT, dual axle, so there are 4 tires total. The tires that are on the TT now are a load C. Should I put the same load class on or move on to a Load D tire? Do I need to have the tires balanced? Also, has anyone had any problems with the Goodyear Marathon or Towmax tires? BTW, my specs for my TT are... UVW 4680 and GVWR 7500. Thanks!
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2000 25' FB Timberland Travel Trailer
19 REPLIES 19

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only tire I ever exploded was a Good Year Marathon. Never again. Maxxis is the way to go.. Yes a tire rated to the original is fine, and yes balance them
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I also have had 2 sets of the Goodyear Marathon's and got 5 years out of each set with no problems. I don't have them currently as we just bought a new camper back early this year but I would have no problem with going back to them. Yes by all means have them balanced. Now I keep mine covered at all times when camping and the rest of the time it's in a completely enclosed storage unit so the tires are not out in the weather and sun.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I had good luck with Goodyear Marathons 20 years ago, but haven't run any lately. Had good luck with Maxxis and currently have put 3,000 miles or so on a set of Towmax STR. So far so good.

I run 225 75 15 E's.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I have had great luck with GY Marathons on 2 different TT's and plenty of miles.

If you can get a LRD, and yes balance them.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
What size tire?

On the corporate website of Towmax, they manufacture a lot of off brand tires, one of which was a "Chinese" brand that I replaced within a few months of owning the trailer.

If you have a 14" tire, I would recommend the Kuhmo Radial 857. It has a 2271 lb/99 mph speed rating. When we went to Colorado this past summer, I could tell a significant difference in the ride of the trailer.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation