cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting my roof repairs tonight (with updates & photos)

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The trailer with picked up has soft corners and it's soft along the edge up to the fridge. I'm planning to peel the TPO membrane back as far as I can, replacing the sheathing, 4 rafters on the rear end, and regluing the TPO. I have all the materials on hand including dicor adhesove, lap sealant and eternabond.

I think I'm going to apply the eternabond tape along the edges on both sides & rear of the trailer just to reinforce where it goes over the side & under the trim. I'm not sure that this is necessary, but I don't hink having extra material at those bends will hurt. I'll also be applying lap sealant to the termination at the front and will cover it with eternabond just as an added layer of protection

Does anyone have any tips before I get started? I'm hoping to get the awning, trim, and vents removed tonight to I can start on the roof tomorrow.

Thanks

Mark

***UPDATE as of Feb 9th 2016***
Here's a current video of the trailer after the rebuild and a year and a half of use.

https://youtu.be/_CHmcgquP2g
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
82 REPLIES 82

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those that are interested, here's a write-up and photos from our first trip.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=317

We're heading back out for Thanksgiving and don't plan for any major work until after that. I'll start another thread once phase 2 of our renovations begin.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, the first day is just about over and we'very learned several lessons. Everything has gone well, but here's a list of notable things.

- My propane cover didn't survive the drive. I was going to do a 3rd screw and decided not to. Wrong decision.
- The hole in the stabilizer jack tore out. I need to smash a socket on to put it down.
- When I went to plug in to the 30 amp socket I was almost too far. I didn't try this or even think about it until after I was leveled. If I was a few inches further I would have to pull the Jacks back up and move.
- The wife wants a tv. I won't win this fight.

All in all I think this will be a great trip. The kids are having a blast and are wearing us out for sure.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
greende wrote:
This is the most amazing rebuilds I have seen here. Congratulations and enjoy your new trailer.

Thank you so much. I'very only been on the site a few months and have seen some amazing work. I'm happy to just be in the ballpark when it come to the projects I've seen.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now is the time to enjoy the fruits of your labor, congrats.

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
Phenomenal Job!
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

greende
Explorer
Explorer
This is the most amazing rebuilds I have seen here. Congratulations and enjoy your new trailer.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are my last updates/photos before our first trip. There are still some things we need to finish when we get back (trim around the slide), but we finished a lot.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=298

Now it's time to knock on wood, cross our fingers, or whatever else we need to do.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
Here's a link to updates from today. It turned out to be another frustrating day.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=291

Paul D. wrote:
Glad to hear it is all coming together for you.
There is a lot of awning servicing info online if ya do a little searching.

Update on our rig:
I went back and taped over and around all the roof penetrations with Sitka Seal, put it right over the lap seal after it set up for a week or so. The new roof is great. Cover goes on this weekend.
The only thing I wish I had done was put a curb around the air conditioning opening. If there is an issue later I will do that.

It seems like there's always something to do. Even after the major work is done, we have plans for upgrades and fixes through the winter. I don't know why I didn't expect all the work of a 2nd small house.
Better to do and not get it right than not to do at all.;)

Fairly soon, you'll get to the limits of what you can do with such a small space. I knew I hit it when the Festus record got hung on the wall. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a link to updates from today. It turned out to be another frustrating day.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=291

Paul D. wrote:

Update on our rig:
I went back and taped over and around all the roof penetrations with Sitka Seal, put it right over the lap seal after it set up for a week or so. The new roof is great. Cover goes on this weekend.
The only thing I wish I had done was put a curb around the air conditioning opening. If there is an issue later I will do that.

It seems like there's always something to do. Even after the major work is done, we have plans for upgrades and fixes through the winter. I don't know why I didn't expect all the work of a 2nd small house.

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer

Update on our rig:

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today's good news:
We discovered it's much easier to back into our driveway than back out. We also took the trailer out and worked on our communication when backing the trailer into spaces.

Today's bad news:
We reinstalled the awning, but it's not retracting. I don't know if it needs to be rewound or what, but now I get to start reading about it. The trailer did come with another spring in the pass through, so maybe it's an old issue. I think we'll be manually rolling it back up for this trip unless I find some extra time and motivation to play with this one.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are our latest updates and photos. I didn't get a chance to work on the trailer this weekend, but I was off today and finished up the missing cover on the front of the trailer.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=284

Tomorrow I'm planning to reinstall the awning and do some finishing work on the inside.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great news...the trailer passed inspection with no problems. The brakes had me a bit concerned because one lining had a crack, but I measured them all at 3/32-1/8". I think I'm going to replace the brakes and bearings next season regardless.

To celebrate the passing inspection I had a new Prodigy P2 brake controller installed in the truck while it was in the shop. They installed it for an extra $45 so that was a gift to myself;-)

jmckelvy wrote:
Just read through your entire blog re this restore project. Excellent work! You now have a very nice TT and you know how it is built. It should last a long time.

Enjoy!

Thanks!!! I'm hoping this rehab lasts us a while. I'll need to stop backing into things though.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Just read through your entire blog re this restore project. Excellent work! You now have a very nice TT and you know how it is built. It should last a long time.

Enjoy!
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet