cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many miles?

brebar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I am new to the RV experience, I just purchased a new Tracer 240 TE. I have planned a trip from Michigan to Glacier NP. I reserved all the camp sites along the way.

My question is, did I "over do it", as far as miles between campsites?

The first three days I am going to be driving 516 miles from Holly MI to Lake Gogebic MI, then from Gogebic to Devils Lake ND, 491 miles. Then from Devils lake ND to Shelby MT, 650 miles. most of the way we will be traveling on US. 2.

I recently read in "The RV book" by Mark Polk that I should try not to travel more than 350 miles per day. (I planned the trip before I bought this book)

I planned the trip so that we can stay at Glacier for 6 Days and relax and tour the park.

Any opinions or scoldings would be appreciated:h
84 REPLIES 84

brebar
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of your posts, it's been great. In the future I will be more aware of drive times.
As this is our first long trip(or any trip for that matter) in our TT, what the heck, we'll bite the bullet and go with the flow. You have to start somewhere, I suppose, and learn along the way. Being completely new to this I will probably make all the mistakes that make all of you so "experienced".

I learned a great deal from our short conversations today. Can I keep you posted on our experiences this summer?

dlk
Explorer
Explorer
The other thing is US 2 through ND and eastern MT, heavy oil field traffic, severly muddy roads if you hit it during a rain, at least it was when I traveled to BC a while back, it was a mess.
Dan & Pam UP of Michigan
F 350 Fx4 Keystone Sprinter

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Never said you can't do it or shouldn't do it. I couldn't afford a trailer until later in life and like to take my time. If I was younger and had three weeks I would try to jam in as much as possible as well. The 650 day will be really tough and the other 500 mile days will just be hard. In the end it will be an experience you will never forget in a good way.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

See if the day 3 campground will allow you to shift forward one night. Then you will have 2 hard days followed by two easier days.

I try to avoid reservations when ever possible. You may have learned a lesson. Campground fees are not horrendously expensive.

brebar wrote:
I kinda knew I was pushing the limit. I'm not truck driver who is OK with driving 10 hour days. Actually I don't like it at all.
My goal is to "get out there" as fast as possible, so as to enjoy the park.

What do you do when the schedule goes "Kaput". We have 3 weeks to spend going from Mi to MT to Yellowstone to Wall SD to Bismark to MI via the Upper Peninsula.

I have spent alot of cash reserving these sites.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bull Rider wrote:
Welcome to the forum. You can figure that for every hour you drive, you're going to make 50 miles. That's a number that I've found to be a given over many years of RVing.

So, drive for ten hours, you will be 500 miles down the road. A 650 mile day will take 13 hours of wheel time.

So, if 10-13 hours of sitting and driving works for you, then you're on the right track! For me, that's way too many miles unless there some emergency.

The above pretty much sums it up. You are trying to drive at that pace 3 days in a row! One day at 10+ hours maybe. 3 in a row is just too much
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
brebar wrote:
Then you'll find a way to make it. But like I said, if you want to change these plans, tell those CG's now, not later.

Reservations are not often necessary anyway, unless you're arriving on a Friday or Saturday in a popular tourist area.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time I would only do 250 to 350 per day. My F.I.L. and I did Rock Hall to Disney world 10:20 am to 7:30 am and returned 3:30 am to 10:15 pm. That kills you for a day. Hind sight being 20/20 We should have Scheduled a day lay over in South Carolina and made it in 3 days but that would have taken half of our vacation. Seriously, over driving will make you miserable.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. You can figure that for every hour you drive, you're going to make 50 miles. That's a number that I've found to be a given over many years of RVing.

So, drive for ten hours, you will be 500 miles down the road. A 650 mile day will take 13 hours of wheel time.

So, if 10-13 hours of sitting and driving works for you, then you're on the right track! For me, that's way too many miles unless there some emergency.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We drive those kind of miles on long trips. My husband could drive from sun up to sun down. We packed a lunch, at each gas stop we each used the camper bathroom and I walked the dogs. At night, we would pull into the campground, did not unhook the camper, put down the stabilizers, plugged in the electric and hooked up the water. I would already know what I was making for dinner - I preplanned all that for the days on the road so we had meals that usually had to just heat up. After dinner, my husband chilled outside while I exercised the dogs and took a shower. Got up at 6 a.m. and started out again. It's not fun - but doable.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

brebar
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda knew I was pushing the limit. I'm not truck driver who is OK with driving 10 hour days. Actually I don't like it at all.
My goal is to "get out there" as fast as possible, so as to enjoy the park.

What do you do when the schedule goes "Kaput". We have 3 weeks to spend going from Mi to MT to Yellowstone to Wall SD to Bismark to MI via the Upper Peninsula.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
It takes time to set up in the evening and break down in the morning. If I needed to put on that many miles I would stay in a motel for those nights. Driving with a trailer attached also takes more out of you than just driving your car somewhere. Our longest day has been 375 miles and we try to keep it under 250, but don't have many time constraints.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

dyb
Explorer
Explorer
We average 50 miles in an hour. 300 miles is the limlt for us a day.
2005 F 250 5.4, 4.10 Gear, Tow/Haul, TorqShift Tranny 8ft. Box
Built in Break Controller
Super Duty super cab 158" wheel base
Eagle 320 rlds 2008
Raised Oct, 1988
Reese Dual Cam

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
brebar wrote:
WOW! I was thinking that if I left these campsites at 6 Am I would be able to at least set up in the day light.I have all these camp sites reserved. what happens if I don't make it?
A reasonable average (including potty, eating and rest stops) is 50mph, which figures out to 13 hours for that 650m day. Without stops, you're gonna be one crabby family.

I don't know if there's a general policy on cancelling a reservation. Each park would likely have different rules. The more time you give them the better.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum neighbor!
You will probably be a little stressed after those drives especially if you have kids with you.
Once you factor in driving a little slower and additional fuel stops you will definitely be on the road a good majority of the day.
Whatever you choose to do that will be one beautiful drive.

MFthorn10
Explorer
Explorer
In my prime, I was sick of driving after 6hrs and sometimes completely
done at 7hrs. 650 miles @55 or 60mph is up to 11hrs and more with stops.
Setting up and breaking down along with unexpected road maintenance and
construction may be a bit much. Although, I'll be cheering you on and please remember to keep your family safe. When in doubt, don't...