cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torqlift Quick Release pins bent

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
After my last trip from Grand Rapids back home thru a mess of snow and road crud from semi's passing I noticed by fast guns on opposite corners where tighter than usual. I thought is odd but felt the camper was secure.

Next day I removed the fast guns, and torqlift QP's and inserts. To my surprise two of the quick release pins where bent! :E

The Camper, a wolfcreek 850, had apparently had a pretty good shift at some point in the journey!!! I'm guessing by the time I found the "tight" fast guns the damage was done.

The camper rides on a rubber mat on a Linex sprayed bed. The rubber mat is not that thick, 3/4" maybe and not really that "grippy" in my opinion.

So my questions for ya'll are:

1) Would you make an adjust meant to the fast guns as soon as you find them tighter than usual?

2) Would you raise the camper and reposition immediately?

3) Would you re-use the bent pins? (I do have a couple from an old set.

4) How thick a bed mat are you using. I think I read on here somewhere that some were using a 1" horse stall mat and thought that might help to reduce movement.

Thanks for your time and input as I'm still a newbie in the hard side world and got this rig late fall and am trying hard to everything ready to roll for Spring!!!!
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L
8 REPLIES 8

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
We've all been in this position at one time or another.
A lot of this would go away if you were using Lance centering guides or suitable alternative. The guides keep the bottom of the camper fixed in a 'keyway' that allows almost no side-to-side mobility. Of all the additives to my TC, this one paid off with the best outcome.
This means that there is approaching zero chance that the tie-downs will suffer differing torques since the box cannot move vis-a-vis the truck bed, and tie-downs.
Yes, use new pins and get four guides bolted down to the bed.
search camper guides on here and you will find a plethora of info on the subject.

notice the very thin sticky rubber mat also. Some boys on here have made much better versions of the guides than the Lance factory ones.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
I too bent a Pass Front pin until I installed these guides. Since then, no issues and makes loading easier as you can't put the camper in off center with these and shifting is now a thing of the past.

Camper guides (8th post from top)
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
AnEv942 wrote:
My pins are bent-they haven't bent any more, have been like this for years.
Ditto. Got almost 80K miles on mine so far.

Ditto. 89k miles on mine. I don't have a bed rug or 4x4 frame. The TC goes right on the plastic bed liner.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
1) Would you make an adjust meant to the fast guns as soon as you find them tighter than usual?
Yes, FastGuns are so easy to adjust that I would readjust mine as soon as I noticed that they were excessively loose or tight.

The answer would depend upon how much my TC had moved. If it were a small shift to the right or left then I wouldn't bother, but if the TC was not parallel to (and in contact with) the front rail of the truck bed then I would correct it immediately.

My pins were bent after their first use. This is because the inner square tube can rotate slightly inside the outer tube. I have never straightened mine (I do carry spares). Honestly, a better solution to the bending issue would be to slot the holes of the inner tube so that the pins are not stressed when the tube rotates.

4) How thick a bed mat are you using. I think I read on here somewhere that some were using a 1" horse stall mat and thought that might help to reduce movement.
I have a regular truck bed mat over Line-X. With everything adjusted correctly I don't notice any movement (of course there must be some due to flexing of the truck bed & frame). I have only had significant movement of my camper move onceโ€ฆ and at the time I was using Happijack turnbuckles which were not as easy to adjust (note: I blame this on operator error, not on the turnbuckles).

Cheers,
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Exlporer wrote:
After my last trip from Grand Rapids back home thru a mess of snow and road crud from semi's passing I noticed by fast guns on opposite corners where tighter than usual. I thought is odd but felt the camper was secure.

Next day I removed the fast guns, and torqlift QP's and inserts. To my surprise two of the quick release pins where bent! :E

The Camper, a wolfcreek 850, had apparently had a pretty good shift at some point in the journey!!! I'm guessing by the time I found the "tight" fast guns the damage was done.

The camper rides on a rubber mat on a Linex sprayed bed. The rubber mat is not that thick, 3/4" maybe and not really that "grippy" in my opinion.

So my questions for ya'll are:

Thanks for your time and input as I'm still a newbie in the hard side world and got this rig late fall and am trying hard to everything ready to roll for Spring!!!!

You may want to get a bed mat that grips better. I was using a set of Home Depot rubber anti-fatigue mats for a while but they didn't grip enough (especially when wet) so I recently went with a thicker, somewhat softer bed mat made especially for my truck. The camper now stays put much better when going off-road.

As for the amount of movement by the TC, it depends on how much. A shift of an inch probably isn't enough to worry about, but more than that may require that you reposition it.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
My pins are bent-they haven't bent any more, have been like this for years.
Ditto. Got almost 80K miles on mine so far.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
My pins are bent-they haven't bent any more, have been like this for years. Just the slight rotation of extension in the receiver bends them. Doesn't take much to bend the 1/4"? pins.

When I originally installed the T/Ls the rear extension and receivers used considerably larger pins, not 1/2" but standard hitch bar pins. The fronts came with the 1/4"-never had a problem. The replacement rear arms & mounts (when I swapped out factory hitch) came with the smaller pins, 1st trip out they bent. But as (not paying attention) the pins get swapped around so they are all now bent.

Unless you orient them differently when installing, causing them to bend in opposite directions shouldn't be a problem IMO and more than likly new ones will bend. If I ever get the urge to lay on my back and want to drill sideways match drillin I would redrill for larger pins, but I dont think an issue. All they really do is hold the arms in reciever, no real in/out loads, rotational is contained by tubes and the pins just yield to how much.

yes If I note tiedowns too tight on one side I readjust all, Ive never repositioned camper though. Our mat maybe 3/8"-

Oh thats a K not Q ๐Ÿ™‚
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
During summer my TC didn't move much, but during wet or snowy weather it moved around a lot. At stops I'd readjust my Fastguns. My ultimate fix to stopping the TC moving was to make the frame below (insulation not shown). Frame also made loading the TC much easier. The TC university shows other frames you could make.

Prior to making the frame I tried an easy fix. I made foam blocks that filled up the space between the TC and the sides of the truck. They were 6" x 8" x 12" made from Owens Corning 2" thick, rigid extruded polystyrene foam insulation, Foamular 250. You can find the extruded polysytrene sheets at Home Depot, Lowes or some other builders supply companies. I used low volatile organic content (Low VOC) contact cement to make the blocks. I used two blocks on each side of the TC. They stopped the movement.

The only problem was that I had to have the TC loaded just right, or wait until it shifted to the side with the blocks, before I could install the last two blocks.

The lock pins (below) for the TL tie down receivers can be found at most hardware stores. I carry extras in the TC.

'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.