cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a larger Travel Trailer

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, newbie here. I recently upgraded to a 35ft Nomad Joey that has a dry weight of 7250 lbs, but the sticker on the side says it weighs like 8100 lbs(not sure what that weight means, dry weight plus whats in the trailer?). We bought our 1st camper last December, 24ft light travel trailer but soon realized we wanted to upgrade since we have 2 children and fell in love with camping. I have a 2007 Toyota crewmax that has a max towing capacity around 10,400 lbs. We have taken it on a short trip of about 30-40 miles away from the house but we are getting ready for a 3-4 hour trip and I'm a little nervous. I've seen a lot of campers my size on the road being towed by 3/4 ton trucks. Should my Tundra be ok? or did I over do it with this big of a travel trailer? Recommended top speed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
32 REPLIES 32

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 35 ft TT with a 3/4 ton and I feel it is a lot for my truck. so a 1/2 ton is really working to tow that load. I personally would not tow with a 1/2 ton again.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...
I'm sure lots of experienced folks here will 'weigh' in on this one.
My quick take/opinion is that you are asking an awful lot from your Toyota with a 35 footer and probably around 10K loaded for a trip.

Tongue weight is going to be very high and that, along with your family and gear in the truck is going to be a problem for the PAYLOAD capability of your truck.

Hopefully others will give you a more positive outlook.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Most late model half tons will exceed some other limit anywhere near the tow ratings. At 7200 pounds dry and especially 8100 pounds dry, I expect your Crewmax is over GVWR, rear axle, and possibly receiver ratings. I would start by getting the combo to a scale to find out where you stand with respect to all your truck's ratings as well as how well your weight distribution hitch is set up. The truck should still be okay with a well adjusted WDH.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)