cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing report: 06 Explorer with 22' TT

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
We try to go camping somewhere every year with the kids. Usually, we would take our “utility” trailer that I built on my driveway with my kids according to my wife’s design, load it with bikes, kayak, tents, gear and whatever and go some camp ground and have fun.
It looks like this:

This year, we wanted to add some fun for kids so we rented a 22’ travel trailer. I checked the specs on line and it read that a shipping weight is 3680 lbs, which I did not believe much since they tend to underestimate the actual weight. Therefore, on my way to pick it up, I stopped on a CAT scale with just the truck, and I came up with 5480 lbs without me. I know that my car should be around 5000, but since I have the front hitch with plow mount, and a heavy tool box, and other stuff with me all the time, that looked reasonable. On the way back with the TT, I went thru the scale again, and it read 9180, telling me that the TT with fresh water and 1 gas tank was 3700 – incredibly close to the specs on line and on the door. The allowable cargo was about 3500 for the GWV of the TT around 7200 – I was not planning to do that.
With 4 of us in the car, plus the gear in the trailer, I estimate 10,500 for the GCVW. My Exp GCVW is 12,000.
The car handled it with no effort, and I mean it. I knew it was back there, but I was able to accelerate uphill, and pass some slower cars in the right lane. I maintained 65-70 mph. There was no tail wagging, and I feel like the truck could handle maybe a 26-28 footer.
We went from NY/NJ to MA, about 240 miles.
My biggest complaint was the mileage, about 9 mpg, and small tank. You really need to fill up frequently and get the gas when you can, otherwise you are in trouble.

The truck is 06 Explorer with 4.6 v8, 3 valve, 209k miles.
12 REPLIES 12

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP nice looking TT/TV combo.

I have towed with a 98 Explorer 5.0 AWD and more with my 06 Explorer Ltd 4.6L 3v. The latter one had more gears and hp and towed the same trailer more efficiently but both were capable to me. The ability to haul 7 people or 7K trailer with something that fit in my small garage and local parking places was really nice. And with my 06's drive by wire engine controls and computer controlled trans I was able to get 24+ mpg on the highway something I never saw in my HD TT (incl the diesels). I too was alarmed with the single digit towing mpg's but got the same with the bigger gas trucks. Actually under ideal conditions my Explorer got better mpg towing the same trailer as my 00 Excursion V-10. I put 100k+ miles on the 06 and the transmission which I was worried about held up.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there - yeah, it's a small world 🙂
That's me on the Explorer forum, here I am Megacab_PL since this is what I had years ago, that was a beast but very thirsty and not really "drive thru" friendly 🙂

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mega Cab PL... I just responded to your post on the explorer forum! Explorer PL right? Small world after all...

My explorer drags this trailer, and all this junk when we go camping!
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
MegaCab_PL wrote:
Is yours a 23 footer ?
24' to be exact. 🙂
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
MegaCab_PL wrote:
I maintained 65-70 mph.

Nice report! Keep in mind that the trailer has ST tires rated to be ran at no more than 65 mph. They are known to heat up and blow or disintegrate at higher speeds.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
The explorers from that era: 01-05, and 06-10 are great medium SUVs, last ones in that size category available with V8. Like Jerem said, they are great all around vehicles; mine sits comfortably 7, pulls whatever I need to pull, plows my driveway in the winter, and the parts are cheap. They have their issues, lots of them, but if you can turn some wrenches, you can keep it running. Just recently, I dropped a low mileage engine in mine (55k), and it cost me $ 1600 plus few bucks for a friend who gave me a hand pulling it out.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer

Our setup is in the signature. I've got the less powerful version of the 4.6 V8, but with about 15K miles of towing the RV, I've never experienced a white-knuckle tail-wagging-dog experience. It's done everything I've asked of it, including towing thru the Ozarks and to the East coast without a single issue. I see similar fuel economy, and also wish the tank was larger.

Bottom line, I'm very pleased with our Explorer coupled to our 19ft (23ft overall) camper.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great report!

These Midsize vehicles are great multi use vehicles. Great commuter/family vehicles and great tow vehicles when used in their ratings.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
We were pretty excited with that 22 footer. That was our first trip ever with a TT. Then we saw things like yours 26BH and then I get it why people can't stop with going bigger and bigger and bigger ..... 🙂
I love the layout of yours. Our rental was a little tight but still fun.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a 3900 lbs dry Jayco Jay Flight 19BH loaded to about 5000 lbs with my 2008 Explorer Sport Trac. It effortlessly towed my 22.5' Jayco with the 4.6L 3V V8.

Wouldn't go any bigger due to the limited payload and limited hitch rating though. That's why I bought a F150, then the Jay Flight 26BH.;)

I got about 9 mpg towing this trailer. Funny thing, I get about 11 mpg towing the bigger trailer with the F150. The Explorer is short and with a high profile trailer, makes it harder to tow. Plus the 4.6L V8 is shy on torque so it has to work harder.

However the Explorer V8 is an excellent tow rig with the right camper!

We just bought a new Explorer, but it's not the tow vehicle the truck frame and V8 were able to make.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
Is yours a 23 footer ?

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
Being a mid-size SUV tower myself, I doubt the Exp would be able to handle a 26-28 footer; the weight seems to grow exponentially with length!! 🙂 However, 9mpg and frequent fill-ups sound about right for your tow vehicle. That performance isn't too bad considering the age and mileage on the Exp.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4